Kintamayama

This IS the July 2020 Basho thread!! Spoilers!!

2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

The subdued applause of the restricted audience reminded me of what you'd hear at Wimbledon. 

“COME ON ANDY!!! COME ON ANDY!!!”

”Please! Ladies and gentlemen, the players are ready!”

• Like 1

YAY SUMO ! Takakeisho looked like his old self (fingers crossed) with the bear claw left. This my be the swan song of Kotoshogiku nice start I hope he KK. Nice win by Kagayaki over Aioyama. Hokotofuji and Tochinoshin looked good. The guys looked like they gained a little weight over the break. 

Edited by Philioyamfugi
  • Like 1

Oh, man, I can’t believe I didn’t notice it was day one today. Just realized when Kintamayama’s vid came up on YT. Exciting!

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

fixed

I'm so used to there being tons of Kokonoe that it couldn't imagine it was a different heya.  Thanks for the correction.

14 hours ago, Benihana said:

We have 4 ex-Ozeki fighting and all are M11 and below. Has something even remotely similar happened before?

I don't know if this has been answered already, but from what I have been able to find, it's a first. 

Two ex-Ozeki in the maegashira ranks isn't that uncommon. The first example I could find in the 20th century is 1921.05 (Kyushuzan, Tsushimanada) and there are plenty more.

In 2002-2004 we had the trio of ex-Ozekis Takanonami, Dejima and Miyabiyama. They each made returns to sanyaku now and then, but in 5 of those bashos they shared the maegashira ranks. They were never ranked together at the bottom of makuuchi though. In Kyushu 2003 they are ranked between M4 and M14.

Then we have last basho with 4 ex-Ozeki between M1 and J3, and now this basho with the 4 between M11 and M17. Unlikely to ever be repeated - at least I hope so...

• Like 1

ex-Ozeki: three (Teru, Giku, Toch) out of four (Takayasu).  Takayasu looked small and confused; sad.

5 hours ago, Philioyamfugi said:

Tochinoshin looked good

I found him resorting to brute force. Not good in my opinion

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bettega said:

I found him resorting to brute force. Not good in my opinion

That's his style of sumo!

When fit, he's one of the strongest rikishi in means of pure physical power. 

And he had no bandage on his left knee - a good sign!

• Like 1

After the yaocho scandal 2011, mobile phones were forbidden for rikishi at the basho - they had to hand them over at the entrance gate and would get them back when they leave. But not this basho - to avoid infection by that collection practice, mobile phones are allowed in the shitaku-beya. And the underground parking lot entry that is reserved for yokozuna and ozeki, this basho is open for arrival of all rikishi - to avoid getting close to the fans. https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007180000612.html

There was nearly no cheering, no yoisho and nipponichi during the yokozuna dohyo-iri, but just after the last shiko stamping during Hakuho's dohyo-iri, one single shout of "nipponichi" occurred - soon drowned in the applause. https://hochi.news/articles/20200719-OHT1T50132.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few news from the pics thread

This basho no rinsing the mouth with chikara-mizu - there is hardly a better source of infection than that ladle - it's just the pose
202007190000310-w200_21.jpgo

The social distance mono-ii this basho compared with the usual one above

origin_1.jpgo

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

So so so so happy sumo is back! And the fans, small amounts or not, make a big difference for me. It just injects life into everything that's happening. Lots of big names looking healthy, good to see that too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

The social distance mono-ii this basho compared with the usual one above

origin_1.jpgo

Did they shout a little then? Would we finally be able to hear what they are talking about in a monoii? To know what they are planning for dinner?? :-O:-O

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, hakutorizakura said:

Would we finally be able to hear what they are talking about in a monoii?

"Did you see it?"

"No, I thought you saw it!"

"Did you?"

"Shit, I was sleeping."

"So... gumbaidori then?"

"Yeah, whatever."

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, hakutorizakura said:

Did they shout a little then? Would we finally be able to hear what they are talking about in a monoii? To know what they are planning for dinner?? :-O:-O

Reminds me of my earlier videos with the Kyokai fuzzy wuzzy feed where they would get up close. Man, we had some laughs then with the frog and stuff..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

ex-Ozeki: three (Teru, Giku, Toch) out of four (Takayasu).  Takayasu looked small and confused; sad.

Yet he's not small. Kotonowaka is huge!

• Like 1

Aside from the potential novelty of it, I'd rather see Kakuryu whiff on a kick attempt than his usual bad pull attempt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why not let the judges have a cellphone and set up a zoom meeting with headphones and microphones?  They wouldn't even have to get up then and could view video and whisper-discuss where to eat afterwards if the decision was obvious and some drama was sorely needed....  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Onibushou said:

Aside from the potential novelty of it, I'd rather see Kakuryu whiff on a kick attempt than his usual bad pull attempt.

I agree. At least he was trying to do something even though it failed miserably. It looked like the peanuts comic strip with Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown at the last second.

• Haha 2

News briefs for day 1:

Kakuryu is the first yokozuna to lose by "Koshikudake"

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007190001138.html

Former Nakagawa rikishi go 1-5 on day 1, the sole winner is Kasugaryu who has done yumitori shiki

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007190000956.html

Terunofuji gets first win in makuuchi since Hatsu 2018

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007190000757.html

Youngest active makuuchi wrestler Kotoshoho gets win in his top division debut

https://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007190000819.html

• Like 1

So glad to have sumo back right now and hope everyone on the forums are keeping well. Looking forward to the basho ahead and wishing everyone good health. 

Day 1 was nice action, not too much ring rust all things considered. Asanoyama's throw was so quick and powerful, wow he continues to take his sumo to a next level.

I know all culturals and countries are having difficulties following proper health measures, but today's audience discipline was impressive: No shouting at the Yokozuna shiko stomps, no cries outlout for Endo or Enho, everyone remained seated for the bow twirling ceremony and were dismissed in groups, and only 1 fan I saw with mask pulled down under nose!

Edited by Tiger Tanaka
  • Like 1

It seems that the gyoji announcement of the rikishi has descended into garbled nonsense: apparently ‘if the yobidashi sing it and the announcer says it and the arena is mostly empty, what does it matter what comes out of the gyoji’s voicebox?’ is the prevailing opinion these days.  Ichiyamamoto’s introduction in mid-Makushita today sounded like the gyoji was trying to force himself to vomit.