Akinomaki

Nakagawa-beya closed down - next scandal

The next violence scandal. It has become known today that Nakagawa-oyakata (Asahisato) faces dismissal (at least intai-kankoku, maybe more) from the NSK for excessive disciplinary measures towards the deshi, likely to be officially decided at the riji-kai on the 13th. It is expected that the heya will be closed down. Preparations are under way to distribute the rikishi to other heya.

AS20200710005049_commL.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Today past 16:30h - the rikishi pack their things

20200710s00005000555000p_thum.jpgo 4.jpgo

The compliance committee has already started to investigate. The heya has 9 rikishi, 1 or more intai is expected.

According to several related persons, last month there has been power harassment during keiko. One rikishi made an audio recording and with it made a complaint to the NSK. A person who knows the oyakata: "He uses foul speech, but has a plain character. He is not the type to be violent."

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/07/10/kiji/20200710s00005000522000c.html

Rikishi may be distributed not just within Tokitsukaze-ichimon, but also to heya of other ichimon. o

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Makushita 54 Yoshii is the prominent rikishi from said heya and is said to be heading for a great career.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nakagawa beya was founded in 2017 when Kasugayama beya folded. At first, the rikishi were sent to Oitekaze beya for safe-keeping, then Nakagawa, who was a coach at Kasugayama, formed the heya , taking with him the rikishi.  Some of those rikishi did not adapt to Nakagawa's style. Last month during keiko, Nakagawa was harassing  a rikishi, another rikishi recorded it, and sent it to the Kyokai. Police were involved, Nakagawa sent in retirement papers, which were not accepted by the Kyokai as there was an ongoing investigation. July 13th-rijikai.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

A quick look at the oyakata's professional career reveals that he only ever fought four tournaments in the Top Division, and none of the four were consecutive.  It is surprising to me that with all the more successful retired Top Division wrestlers (with and/or without kabu) out there, this guy was given charge over one of the precious 45 stables!  Timing perhaps?  Politics, undoubtedly.

I guess he won't be sitting ringside as a judge anymore...  

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2

Well I guess that opens up another hard to come by kabu, anyone’s guess who is next in line to acquire this one

Police were involved? Is that how this became public? This is probably going to be a heck of a story when details roll out. If they'll roll up a Heya for "verbal" abuse there must be something unusual. Probably because cops were involved. But...I know nothing beyond this thread and Berutto on Twitter.

As a former coal miner (i.e. working in an exclusively male environment), foul and abusive language was an everyday part of the job. I was once threatened with having my eye poked out and being skull-f****** to death, which I thought was hilariously inventive (and clearly not a serious threat). So, my first reaction to this news was "Oh bollocks - the snowflake generation has arrived in ozumo".

After some brief reflection, however, like Churaumi I believe there must surely be something more serious than "harsh talk" for the police to get involved.

Edited by RabidJohn

The articles only talk of verbal abuse and call it suspected power harassment. This will likely be a strictly internal NSK affair.

Several rikishi are expected to go intai  o, a great number had retired when the former oyakata was ousted http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/32037-another-growing-scandal-kasugayama-wants-his-kabu/?page=3

Nakagawa: "For causing trouble, there is nothing I can say as excuse. I can't answer any questions now. I will take your time again later." o

Mitsuru Yaku, former member of a committee to prevent recurrence of violence, on radio this morning: "Times have changed. Then (in the committee) there even had been a proposal to install something like a complaint box for the deshi." "Now the deshi properly recorded and saved it. Time change is under way."  o

K10012509701_2007110632_2007110639_02_01.jpgvid

Edit: repeated discriminatory verbal abuse o

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

A quick look at the oyakata's professional career reveals that he only ever fought four tournaments in the Top Division, and none of the four were consecutive.  It is surprising to me that with all the more successful retired Top Division wrestlers (with and/or without kabu) out there, this guy was given charge over one of the precious 45 stables!  Timing perhaps?  Politics, undoubtedly.

Well, a high-profile professional career doesn't automatically mean you'll be a good trainer. ;-)

But the answer to this is quite easy: He was the affiliated oyakata at Oitekaze (that temporarily hosted the Kasugayama-beya rikishi), hence there the connection. IIRC, the people in Kawasaki (where Nakagawa is located) also petitioned for the stable to stay in their neighbourhood, so the NSK wanted and needed a "volunteer" to take over in that particular prefecture.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I suppose there's not much to say until the details become more fully known. They're not just gonna dig up a whole kabu for something minor. Since they're talking about "excessive disciplinary measures", it was probably more than just some shouting, especially since physical punishment really isn't uncommon in sumo.

16 hours ago, Churaumi said:

Police were involved? Is that how this became public? This is probably going to be a heck of a story when details roll out. If they'll roll up a Heya for "verbal" abuse there must be something unusual. Probably because cops were involved. But...I know nothing beyond this thread and Berutto on Twitter.

Herutto..

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

repeated discriminatory verbal abuse o

The rikishi made the claim to the NSK that the abusive language by the oyakata was like a negation of his status as a human individual. The compliance committee questioned rikishi and oyakata and apparently came to the conclusion that there was power harassment by Nakagawa, exceeding the level of guidance. https://mainichi.jp/articles/20200712/ddm/041/050/084000c

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Herutto..

You know that feeling when you read something wrong months ago and never noticed you were wrong, despite seeing direct evidence of your wrongness many times every single day? I do.

• Haha 1

There had been complaints about Nakagawa's way of coaching since before the Haru basho, the compliance committee till June had interviewed several rikishi. It's also possible that power harassment by the oyakata had become normal in the heya. https://hochi.news/articles/20200711-OHT1T50267.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nakagawa will not be ousted from the NSK, he only gets demoted 2 ranks from i-in to plain toshiyori - there were no injuries among the 3 rikishi who came forward and complained to the NSK. They got slapped in the face, kicked in the belly and back, got told "I'll kill you", "You'll be fired", "Idiot" 「ぼんくら」 etc. The heya will be closed down, as he's seen as not fit to be a shisho.

http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/1977213/

Nakagawa moves to Tokitsukaze-beya as affiliated oyakata. http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2020/07/13/0013506219.shtml

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Only Kyokuyuko retires - he already had his danpatsushiki yesterday at the heya, with about 30  supporters and Nakagawa still as the shisho to have the final cut http://hochi.news/articles/20200712-OHT1T50268.html

Yoshii moves with the oyakata and Sasazaki to Tokitsukaze-beya

Heya top Mongolian Kokyusoten with ms yobidashi Kohei move to Kataonami-beya (Nishonoseki-ichimon)

Haruhikari with sewanin Byakuhoyama move to Miyagino-beya (Tatsunami-ichimon)

Kasugaryu and Kiyama move to Tomozuna-beya (Tatsunami-ichimon)

Yoshizawa moves to Asahiyama-beya (Tatsunami-ichimon)

Okunisato moves to Oitekaze-beya

first grade tokoyama Tokojin goes to Arashio-beya

3rd grade tokoyama Tokoharu goes to Isenoumi-beya

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/202007130000537.html

Kokusoten, Kasugaryu, Haruhikari and Yoshizawa now have a rare 4th heya affiliation and even move to another ichimon (except Kyokusoten, back to the original ichimon), Okunisato was already in Oitekaze-beya once

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 12/07/2020 at 03:30, Churaumi said:

You know that feeling when you read something wrong months ago and never noticed you were wrong, despite seeing direct evidence of your wrongness many times every single day? I do.

I know this because I happen to know her.. She's from here.

2 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Only Kyokuyuko retires - he already had his danpatsushiki yesterday at the heya, with about 30  supporters and Nakagawa still as the shisho to have the final cut http://hochi.news/articles/20200712-OHT1T50268.html

Yoshii moves with the oyakata and Sasazaki to Tokitsukaze-beya

etc

Wow-have there ever been so many rikishi dispersed to so many heyas at once?

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

I know this because I happen to know her.. She's from here.

Is she ever on the forum? She's become one of my main sumo news sources.

15 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

Is she ever on the forum? She's become one of my main sumo news sources.

No, she's on tachiai and is doing a remarkable job on Twitter - by far the best and quickest source.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3