Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Tomokaze and Yago

Both Oguruma-beya rikishi dropped to makushita due to injury and surgery, both thanks to the canceled basho got some extra time to heal, like all injured rikishi. Oguruma-oyakata spoke to the press today. About the situation of Tomokaze: "It has improved a lot.", "The doctor had said it's a miracle if he stands on the dohyo once more." "Surgery was successful" "The doctor who had operated was in tears when he saw him walk again." "Rehabilitation is in Kawasaki, so he stays at home. On Saturday he is in the heya and uses the training room."

Yago had surgery on both knees as soon as it was announced that the basho is canceled. "The stuck meniscus (part) was removed on both legs. With this much time available he said 'Now or never'. His knees were blocked." It looks like he'll be in time for July: "He's doing rehabilitation. Now he's at the keiko ground and able to do shiko stamping."

http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2020/06/22/0013445762.shtml

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

On 22/06/2020 at 13:56, Akinomaki said:

Yago had surgery on both knees as soon as it was announced that the basho is canceled. "The stuck meniscus (part) was removed on both legs. With this much time available he said 'Now or never'. His knees were blocked." It looks like he'll be in time for July: "He's doing rehabilitation. Now he's at the keiko ground and able to do shiko stamping."

Is this the reason he was been crap since July last year or a recent injury?

7 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

Is this the reason he was been crap since July last year or a recent injury?

Yago and his knee problems have been a never ending story ... even before he joined the pros.

During his days at Saitama Sakae high school he had injured his knees severely and needed rehabilitation. Not to mention he had to postpone his entry as Makushita Tsukedashi in 2017 when his knees gave him trouble again (wanted to join in March, started in May).

• Thanks 1

Nakamura (Yoshikaze) today talked remote about his deshi Tomokaze (down to ms52 now) at an event for the start of the general incorporated association APOLLO PROJECT. He gets from him rehabilitation and training videos: "He has no intention at all to quit."

"Actually, it would be desirable if he'd train at Oguruma-beya, but .."

On 22/06/2020 at 13:56, Akinomaki said:

"Rehabilitation is in Kawasaki, so he stays at home. On Saturday he is in the heya and uses the training room."

Thus not even on Saturdays now - Tomokaze trains at his old school, Mukainooka high: "Shiko, suri-ashi and really just slight butsukari-geiko."

202009010000440-w200_0.jpgo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only just cottoned on to this thread now; I had no idea the Tomokaze situation was as dire as it is. I was quite high on him, what a massive shame. I'm going through knee rehab myself after a bad fracture; 20 months on I still have constant struggles. The way rikishi can soldier through and look to compete in such a demanding sport (particularly on the knees) I can't even fathom. I don't hold out much hope, but if Tomokaze can soldier back I'll be watching him with particular interest.

Has anybody come across more recent news regarding Tomokaze? I'm still holding out some hope.

Edited by Houmanumi

On 12/10/2020 at 23:58, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

Speaking of Ogurumu kyujo woes, does anyone know what happened to Nogami? he was slowly rising up to ms8, goes 0-7 in September last year, and has been missing ever since.

Nogami has done well since his return, winning both Jk and Jd with a clean record

2 hours ago, hokutooshi said:

Nogami has done well since his return, winning both Jk and Jd with a clean record

I'm sceptical about him, though. He seems to struggle to stay crouched for a few seconds on post-match rituals. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Tomokaze is back!!  He has confirmed that he will be at Haru 2021 after more than a year absence.  Best wishes to him.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 03/02/2021 at 21:24, Houmanumi said:

Has anybody come across more recent news regarding Tomokaze? I'm still holding out some hope.

Tomokaze will be at Haru 2021, his comeback after injury in Kyushu 2019.

• Thanks 1

Tomokaze has been out for a year and four months now, seven bashos. He suffered a dislocated knee joint on day 3 of Kyushu 2019 while ranked at Makuuchi 3 and dropped all the way to Sandanme 95 in January, meaning he will be ranked at Jonidan for Haru.. The good news, as hokutooshi reported - he will be entering Haru. He has been training lately and in January even lent his chest to Yago in butsugari and has been doing sumo against the Sandanme rikishi of the heya. "He's still not close to being in the shape he was before the injury, but he is properly training to get there.." said his Oyakata. "His return is a miracle.. He seems to have benefited from his problems.." summed the Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

On 04/02/2021 at 22:50, hokutooshi said:
On 12/10/2020 at 13:58, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

Speaking of Ogurumu kyujo woes, does anyone know what happened to Nogami? he was slowly rising up to ms8, goes 0-7 in September last year, and has been missing ever since.

On 05/02/2021 at 01:52, Koorifuu said:

I'm sceptical about him, though. He seems to struggle to stay crouched for a few seconds on post-match rituals. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Nogami suffered the classic knee injury - ruptured ACL and meniscus damage, surgery and months of rehab followed.

It's not unusual for such rikishi to have an awkward-looking sonkyo when they're wearing one of those industrial leg braces as Nogami seems to be.

• Like 1

Tomokaze had surgery 4 times, at one a hole was drilled into his right knee: "Actually, only one inner ligament remained. In case the blood vessel also had been ruptured, I was told a recovery would have been impossible." First he was brought by ambulance to a hospital in Fukuoaka with surgery to get the joint set, then brought to another hospital in Fukuoka and later to one in Osaka.

To Yoshikaze he spoke about his wish to go intai, who told him "No need to be impatient. Let's cure it thoroughly."

"They told me that usually it takes 2 years, in my case recovery seemed to have been quick."

Last year in March he returned to Tokyo and began with rehabilitation, in December he started training at the heya: "The knee is still shaking and I can't move the (right) ankle the way I want. Still I did keiko with the aim of 10 bouts a day with Yago, Amakaze and Sakaekaze."

He lost weight, all muscles, from 180kg to 150kg, but in consultation with a trainer he got back to 170kg with a medical diet etc.

"The goal was a return to the dohyo. After that the return to makuuchi, but I don't intend to be impatient. At my own pace I want to climb the steps."

Tomokaze has a record of 100-49-70 - with win 101 his 2nd sumo life will get into gear.

http://hochi.news/articles/20210313-OHT1T50074.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6