Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Foreigner with Japanese shusshin

On 06/01/2020 at 09:31, Akinomaki said:

for Asahiyama from Bolivia, Daniel Velez Garcia  ダニエル・ベレス・ガルシア (18, 182cm, 111kg), from the wrestling club of Inazawa high, Aichi. Because he lives in Japan since age 6 (=for over 10 years and eligible for permanent residence) he is treated for the shindeshi exam like a Japanese and starts in maezumo this basho 

5th at the last kokutai juniors Greco-roman wrestling 125kg competition https://inazawahigashi-h.aichi-c.ed.jp/club1/wrestling.html

3.jpg

Who would have thought that the NSK is not that strict after all with the foreign-born limit. We have a Bolivian who isn't listed as such, because he has a Japanese shusshin - Kirameki, and a new Mongolian followed, Hokuseiho. Maybe the DB now needs entries for both nationality and shusshin.

Kirameki has the dream to become yokozuna, but especially to do work that connects Japan and Bolivia. He lived in Cochabamba as a small child, and when he was 6, his parents moved to Japan in connection with work. About half a year later, he and his 6 year older brother followed them to Japan, a 3 day journey on their own. In his 4th grade primary school, he at last was able to do conversation in Japanese. Somehow he started to watch ozumo on TV, his favorite was Asashoryu: "I like the expression of his eyes."

On 07/01/2020 at 13:37, Akinomaki said:

He decided without hesitation to enter the sumo world, when Asahiyama-oyakata scouted him at a wrestling tournament the oyakata came to watch: "Because I want to give something back to my parents."

Asahiyama had told him: "Sumo is good to make money quick" - he wanted to go to university, but that would have cost his parents quite a sum. Last December he moved to the heya.

The oyakata gave him a 1 kanji shikona, because his face resembles Akebono, with the hope for success. "Upfront and quiet. In that he is similar to Akebono as well. But he needs to go flaring up his fighting spirit. That is vexing." He is at 120kg now.

Kirameki is frustrated that he couldn't get it at the Haru basho, so: "At the July basho I want to get the yusho". And he doesn't want his parents to watch his sumo yet: "Being seen is embarrassing - when the sumo is proper." His parents speak nearly no Japanese, till high school he translated for them, and he is worried now, that they have no interpreter anymore.

"In Bolivia there may be some who know about sumo, but I think with the image of fat people. I want to change that."

He wants to get to sekitori fast, if possible, but dreams to become president of Bolivia one day.

"The conditions in Bolivia are not good. I want to make it so that one can walk around also at night, like in Japan."

http://www.sankei.com/sports/news/200606/spo2006060019-n1.html

spo2006060019-p1.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

What an interesting fellow.  Once he breaks out of his shell ...

Good luck Garcia-san!

“Sumo is good to make money quick.”  Riiiiight! Ask all the guys in Makushita and below who have been at it for several years. 

But those guys are rolling in dough! Okay, they're making dough? Fine, they're making mochi. For free. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

Good luck Garcia-san!

It's actually "Velez-san".

Spanish speakers have this annoying thing (trying to be polite here) of using their first surname as their main surname, while most of the world (not aware of exeptions, but might be there), uses whatever is the last surname as their main surname. A normal full name is made of 3 to 6 names, so one has to guess whatever is the first surname.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

It's actually "Velez-san".

Spanish speakers have this annoying thing (trying to be polite here) of using their first surname as their main surname, while most of the world (not aware of exeptions, but might be there), uses whatever is the last surname as their main surname. A normal full name is made of 3 to 6 names, so one has to guess whatever is the first surname.

Right.