hakutorizakura

Yokozuna historic timeline

Recommended Posts

Hi sumo folks, just want to share a graph I made while procrastinating today...

It's basically a historic timeline of sumo's yokozunas since Tanikaze (thanks to sumodb for the data). I thought this would be useful when discussing specific points in history, who were the top dogs at that time, how many were there at a given time and how they might have played a role in the issue being discussed etc. etc. I didn't find something like this when I googled the web or in the forum, so apologies if I missed out and this is not something new.

yoktimeline.thumb.png.e938088fff4537911d0acab4cafe6064.png

 

In the above screenshot the window is the past 100 years and some yoks didn't even have a long enough reign to enable their names to show up, but in the HTML version one can zoom in/out and pan around freely. If you are interested you can download it from the link below (link active until 16 May); just unzip the zip file and open the html file with your web browser.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/fc860f3bde476f6b73412f68432e249220200509184426/77abcc70085f95e8bf9ad2b51eff2a7620200509184515/0ed98a

I would actually prefer to have the HTML graph embedded in this post but I don't know if it's possible. If it is, please feel free to edit the post and do so, dear forum mods :-)

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did something like this (by hand!) in Excel about a year ago, but I didn't have enough allowed KB to display it.  It's very helpful in discussions about "well, A didn't have as many Yokozuna to contend with during his career as B did!" and the like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not long ago I started working on some sumo graphics to improve my InDesign and Illustrator skills. Among other things, I was illustrating a taxonomy of kimarite and designing a split-bar graph that showed how many basho each Yokozuna spent in each division/at each rank (all Yokozuna in the 15-day, six-basho-a-year era). If I ever finish both I’ll share them on here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I did something like this (by hand!) in Excel about a year ago, but I didn't have enough allowed KB to display it.  It's very helpful in discussions about "well, A didn't have as many Yokozuna to contend with during his career as B did!" and the like.

Exactly my thought! Might also do the ozeki version at some point later.

Initially I also wanted to just do it in excel by coloring the cells corresponding to the months... but after a few minutes, nope, there must be a better way to do this (Laughing...)

 

16 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Not long ago I started working on some sumo graphics to improve my InDesign and Illustrator skills. Among other things, I was illustrating a taxonomy of kimarite and designing a split-bar graph that showed how many basho each Yokozuna spent in each division/at each rank (all Yokozuna in the 15-day, six-basho-a-year era). If I ever finish both I’ll share them on here.

Oh that would be nice. Looking forward to it! I haven't seen that many sumo infographics so those graphs would be most welcome.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/05/2020 at 01:15, Yamanashi said:

I did something like this (by hand!) in Excel about a year ago, but I didn't have enough allowed KB to display it.  It's very helpful in discussions about "well, A didn't have as many Yokozuna to contend with during his career as B did!" and the like.

Personnally I did this on Excel, as Excel is my "go to" for pretty much anything. Some personal preferences into it (in case you find some weird/inacturate stuff).
The purpose was to learn some sumo history as I'm a newbie, and to have an idea of how many Y/O where active on average per basho.

image.thumb.png.5ad5f8fd15b23f36e9909a2ac74828d6.png

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Oortael said:

Personnally I did this on Excel, as Excel is my "go to" for pretty much anything. Some personal preferences into it (in case you find some weird/inacturate stuff).
The purpose was to learn some sumo history as I'm a newbie, and to have an idea of how many Y/O where active on average per basho.

image.thumb.png.5ad5f8fd15b23f36e9909a2ac74828d6.png

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Kaio has a career spanning three decades and was Ozeki for an entire decade! I knew he was good but this gives a whole new appreciation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now