Sign in to follow this  
Faustonowaka

KAIOU, the next Yokozuna?

With this Basho for grabs, and all other Ozeki struggeling and the Yokozuna uncapable to hold his form, all Kaiou has to do now is keep on going, win tomorrow and say to Asashoryu: "move over, next year there' s gonna be two" (Enjoying a beer...)

this yusho is close but i think Sato will get it in a play-off.

so i guess one yusho is ok but two in a row ???

i don't think so ...

this yusho is close but i think Sato will get it in a play-off.

How?

Only Kaiou and Tochinonada (in a playoff) can still win the yusho.

Wakanosato is allready 2 wins behind Kaiou, with only 1 day remaining...

And since Asa has allready lost 3 in a row, no problem for Kaiou ;-)

KaioU doesn't need yokozuna promotion to be reckoned as one of the all-time greatest rikishi. Should he win yusho this time (and it sure looks that way), he is already at 5 yusho. Old war horse with massive injury burden of last 3 years. Every day he needs to keep his body in condition with massages and uses a lot of chiropractician etc. You may question his pressure endurance but he still has those 5 yusho and in has also won many decisive bouts. Asashoryu is young, healthy and hasn't got 10 years of high level makuuchi sumo burdening his body. KaioU is a veteran ozeki who can still beat the odds and challenge yusho many times per year. Easy to say KaioU is old and tired, he probably is tired with battling with those nagging back problems but what he showed once again that he is still a major player.

Yokozuna promotion would be a nice pinnacle to his career but it is not really important at all. He has already served his time and hopefully just enjoys the rest of his career and calls it a day when he feels like it and not when he has too worn out body.

Still wouldn't it be fantastic if he would storm into yokozuna promotion in front of his home crowd in Kyushu!!!

Great warrior!

Maybe the home-advantage is just what he needs next tournament to finally become Yokozuna.

Let's hope his nerves will hold...

I love it when the short/middle term memory collapses.. KaioU is a great Ozeki, no question about that. when he's genki and/ or not facing a remotely possible Yokozuna promotion , he is virtually unstoppable.

I too, would love to see him culminate his great career with a tsuna.

Now, back to the short term memory glitch .

KaioU has an insurmountable mental barrier. You can't teach an old dog new psychology.

No Yokozuna for U!!

I love it when the short/middle term memory collapses.. KaioU is a great Ozeki, no question about that. when he's genki and/ or not facing a remotely possible Yokozuna promotion , he is virtually unstoppable.

I too, would love to see him culminate his great career with a tsuna.

Now, back to the short term memory glitch .

KaioU has an insurmountable mental barrier. You can't teach an old dog new psychology.

No Yokozuna for U!!

Unfortunately, I cannot do anything but agree with Kintamayama. Firstly, Kaio needs another win tomorrow. Then he needs to repeat this performance in two months time ... In Natsu 2001 it took him 6 days to blow it by getting three losses. He later went kyujo. Four months later he started with 0-3 and went kyujo again. In Aki 2003 he started with 6-1 but then lost 5 straight and even finished with makekoshi. And in Natsu this year he stayed at two losses until day 10, and then finished 10-5. That was actually a step forward, but I would be surprised if he is still in the running after 10 days of Kyushu basho.

In Natsu 2001 it took him 6 days to blow it by getting three losses. He later went kyujo. Four months later he started with 0-3 and went kyujo again. In Aki 2003 he started with 6-1 but then lost 5 straight and even finished with makekoshi. And in Natsu this year he stayed at two losses until day 10, and then finished 10-5. That was actually a step forward, but I would be surprised if he is still in the running after 10 days of Kyushu basho.

That is the key. KaioU has been very unlucky with his injuries always coming to flare after yusho basho. Sure, one can draft wonderful theories of mental weakness causing the biceps to tear (Aki 2003) or injuring your back badly 10 before the basho (Natsu 2001) but if one is not into such peculiar theories, then it becomes quite clear his yokozuna chances have been ruined by injuries every time except in Natsu 2003. In Aki 2001 he was recommended not to start the basho and was not able to do anything on the dohyo. So before claiming that these big failures would be due to mental pressure enduring weakness, some injury facts must be taken into consideration.

True it is that he has never been even close to yokozuna promotion in his post-yusho honbasho but it pisses me off greatly when people list *major* injury-bashos as some sort of proof of mental choking etc.

Surely the odds are not great that he will be as healthy in Kyushu as in this basho (and he isn't healthy now either) but there is a bigger chance to that than can be counted from those earlier incidents. There is no formula of "yusho-injury-yusho-injury" just like there are no damn JINXES either.

Sentences where "jinx" appears should be made illegal. (Whistling...)

Sentences where "jinx" appears should be made illegal. (Whistling...)

I thought you had to create jinx.