Sign in to follow this  
Kaminariyuki

General Corona Banter

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I’m no epidemiologist but everything I’ve read says it’s much more contagious and virulent than the flu. Flu kills more people because it reaches more people overall, which it’s able to do because countries don’t quarantine their populations for the flu. 

The death rate for those infected by flu is close to that of the corona virus. The quarantine procedures for the flu should be the same as those for the corona virus???

Edited by Asojima

6 minutes ago, Asojima said:

The death rate for those infected by flu is close to that of the corona virus.

Cite?

1 minute ago, Asojima said:

The death rate for those infected by flu is close to that of the corona virus.

Not according to what I’ve learned. For flu it’s about 0.1%. For COVID-19 it’s somewhere between 2 and 4%. Per 1000 people infected that’s 1/1000 and 20-40/1000. 

9 minutes ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

Cite?

Cite. What is dangerous for one is also dangerous for the other.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Asojima said:

Cite. What is dangerous for one is also dangerous for the other.

That article doesn’t say they have the same death rate. In fact, it provides evidence to the contrary: 15 million ill and 8,200 deaths in the US. That’s 0.05%, even lower than the 0.1% I said above.

Edited by Eikokurai

My simple point is that what is appropriate for one is appropriate for the other. The flu has been around for a long time and it is well documented.  The corona virus is just beginning to acquire legitimate stats outside of the questionable ones from China.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Asojima said:

My simple point is that what is appropriate for one is appropriate for the other. The flu has been around for a long time and it is well documented.  The corona virus is just beginning to acquire legitimate stats outside of the questionable ones from China.

I have to admit I don’t understand what you mean.

1 hour ago, Asojima said:

Yes, and in fact what's being deployed is similar to what would be deployed for a particularly bad 'flu---2020's version of the "Spanish flu" would be met with much  the same apparatus that's being used for coronavirus.  

It turns out that an order of magnitude more deaths implies a different response.  

Yaay i really hope they keep this decision. Finally a victory of reason over paranoia. More people will die of the economic consequences of this "pandemy" than for the virus itself.

Posted (edited)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/  <--- click here for "death rate" stat of this virus.

Caveat:

• The stat is based on cases so far which is dominated by China's numbers which are skewed.   Then there are Iran's numbers.  Both are known to be under-reported. 
  • Death rate is higher in places (Wuhan/China, Iran) where the number of infected overwhelms the local medical system.   (And this is one of the points I was making in this thread.   If you let this spread without the system to handle, people will die.   I hope Osaka in the next few weeks is prepared to handle if there is an outbreak. )
Edited by robnplunder

Posted (edited)

"Corona"?

A corona is an aura of plasma that surrounds a star.

Was there too much effort required to type out "coronavirus"? (Laughing...)

Edited by Rob S.

44 minutes ago, Rob S. said:

"Corona"?

A corona is an aura of plasma that surrounds a star.

It's also a lot of other things--the haircut of a monk, a kind of chandelier, part of a cornice in architecture, etc.  As well as the lipid envelope ("studded with club-like projections") on a coronavirus.  All of which are names based on the etymology of 'corona': "Latin corōna crown, chaplet or wreath, fillet or circlet of gold or other material."

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ryoshishokunin said:

It's also a lot of other things--the haircut of a monk, a kind of chandelier, part of a cornice in architecture, etc.  As well as the lipid envelope ("studded with club-like projections") on a coronavirus.  All of which are names based on the etymology of 'corona': "Latin corōna crown, chaplet or wreath, fillet or circlet of gold or other material."

Maybe the rikishi should swap their mage for corona cuts this time, in honour of the occasion.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

This is old news but it looks like sumo isn't the only sport holding events behind closed doors:

https://www.thelocal.it/20200225/coronavirus-italian-serie-a-football-matches-to-be-played-in-empty-stadiums

You're not much of a winter sports person, right? ;-) Events in several disciplines are behind held without audiences in those this week. Which at minimum hasn't stopped several dozen fans from showing up to the biathlon events in the Czech Republic unauthorized anyway and cheering from unmarked areas near the track... Some fans have been trying at the ski jumping in Norway, too, but it's rather more difficult to get close enough to the hill and ramp to see anything.

(And of course, right in Japan the NPB teams have been playing their spring training games behind closed doors, too, although I have no idea how much of an audience draw those usually are.)

Edited by Asashosakari

5 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

You're not much of a winter sports person, right? ;-) 

On the contrary, I've participated in and also officiate for high school wrestling:-) during the season, although I'm not much of anything outside of that. Penn State seems to have pulled off some upsets in the quarter final rounds at the Big 10 wrestling tournament.

18 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

On the contrary, I've participated in and also officiate for high school wrestling:-) during the season, although I'm not much of anything outside of that. Penn State seems to have pulled off some upsets in the quarter final rounds at the Big 10 wrestling tournament.

Wrestling isn't a winter sport. It's frequently scheduled during the winter, but that doesn't make it a winter sport.

????!!!!!   He seems to be always a step behind instead of one ahead.  In private industry, he'd been fired a long ago.

9 hours ago, Gaijingai said:

Interesting etymology, I suspect, on "haze."  

although a lot of this COVID-19 bit has gone as I expected, I'm seriously confused by some of the numbers being reported. Even though I understand the extreme measures that have been taken in China, but I don't see how they could be down to 19 new cases in a day. It's going to be very enlightening to see what happens in Japan, Italy, Germany, the USA and France, IMO.

58 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

I don't see how they could be down to 19 new cases in a day.

They are only testing travelers arriving in China.  B-)