Sign in to follow this  
Kaminariyuki

General Corona Banter

14 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Yes, not confirmed. I saw 12 dead, 61 infected mentioned in a press conference just now. But frankly Iran has a government we can trust even less than China's I think.

i didn't know Thailand has a gag order on their COVID 19 status.   I was wondering why their number hasn't moved for a while.   I hope they are ok.

国際女性デー音楽祭 (International Women's Day Music Festival?) set for March 7th in Okinawa has been "postponed for one year" due to precautions regarding the coronavirus.

50 minutes ago, Dapeng said:

If the virus spreads widely in the coming two weeks, they'll have to cancel the basho.

Japan is doing a good job suppressing the infected number only counting people walking into hospital and tested positive. They are not proactively testing others who had contact with a known patient.  So in two weeks, the number could be deemed reasonable to hold the basho.

J-League has cancelled seven matches scheduled for today (Wednesday) and is considering cancelling all games until mid-March.

Edited by Eikokurai

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2020/02/19/olympics/virologist-says-olympics-not-held-now-hopeful-july/#.XlTAZrixOCk

I don't know if this article has been posted already, but it's an article about what Dr Hotoshi Oshitani, a respected virologist, had to say about the coronavirus and the Olympics schedule.  He basically said that if the Olympics were held now, it would not be safe because we don't have an effective strategy to deal with the coronavirus.  However, by the end of July, we may be in a different situation.

Wouldn't this statement apply to the Basho, also?

Edited by sumojoann

To some. It is just another  flu and media are fueling panic.  They may insist on holding the basho.  I hope  the common sense prevails. 

I can understand that people are concerned however I can't understand why they can't accept that (1) Yes it is a fast spreading virus with a risk of mortality and (2) that quarantines of cities outside of China are probably not good ideas and (3) the internet is full of misinformation that can cause panic. The WHO announced that new cases in China peaked between January 23 and February 2 and that new cases "have been steadily declining" although outbreaks in other countries are deeply concerning and there is still a risk of pandemic. So things seem to be improving however still too much is unknown to say it will not flare up in another location.

Regarding the Japan Times article from last week Dr. Oshitani did not say the Olympics could not be held now as the headline says nor did he say it would not be safe, he said "Right now we do not have an effective strategy, and I think it may be difficult to have the Olympics (now). But by the end of July we may be in a different situation. The basho is NOT the same as the Olympics. The Olympics involves over 15,000 athletes from over 200 countries and an expected crowd of over 600,000 from all over the world. It is a much different situation.

6 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Japan is doing a good job suppressing the infected number only counting people walking into hospital and tested positive. They are not proactively testing others who had contact with a known patient. 

Japan is not suppressing the infected number in any way shape or form. It is not standard procedure to "proactively" test asymptomatic patients in part because there are currently only 16 labs in the world who are certified by WHO to test for 2019nCoV. You don't waste precious resources by regularly testing asymptomatic patients. (See Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) technical guidance: Laboratory testing for 2019-nCoV in humans on the WHO website). Also posting video from NTD (funded by the Falun Gong and highly critical of all Chinese policies) suggesting without any evidence that the true death toll in Wuhan is 20,000 only helps to fuel more speculation. The US State Department has already accused Russia of disinformation regarding the outbreak and there are surely others who do so for "clicks".

To quote Dr. Omi from the Japan Times article “Nobody can predict whether we can contain the virus or put an end to this outbreak before the Olympics start. That’s anybody’s guess.” I would say the same holds for the Osaka basho. If it is cancelled I am sure it will be because events have gotten significantly worse and if it is held I am sure it will be safe. All of this minute by minute speculation though is neither informative, sometimes incorrect, and incites fear. I would recommend listening to the WHO and country health authorities for accurate information and let the rest of this "reporting" go as it is often misleading even if they mean well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Japan's J.League to postpone domestic games due to coronavirus - NHK

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan’s J.League decided to postpone all domestic soccer games through to the first half of March due to the coronavirus, Japan’s public broadcaster NHK said on Wednesday

Edited by Kintamayama

Thanks @Ginkitsune for the common sense. I also had to laugh at that video. People really are incredibly gullible and prone to panic and hysteria based on breathless reports by biased propaganda groups and news outlets with an absolute desire to over-exaggerate. 

If we are to cancel the basho because people are in close contact, why not do the same for all the trains, buses, shops? Hey, let's ban talking to strangers!! Or instead let's use common sense and educate the public on the best way to protect themselves against what is of course a dangerous condition.

And please don't say the "THE" media. Yes, the situation is serious, but the serious outlets treat it like that and don't generate click-bait like The Sun and similar "news".

• Thanks 1

Click on the tweet to see the thread.

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Thanks 2

Today the Japanese government strongly recommended work from home and staggered attendence.

I hope the staggered attendence is implemented asap for work cafeterias permanently, the current policy most companies have is really lame and inefficient.

• Like 1

First case confirmed at the hospital both my brothers work at. Seeing how they’re treating the situation makes me worry. My country is doomed.

I didn’t think it was a big deal but after seeing and hearing about all the idiocy happening in my country I’m not so positive anymore.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Being myself within 100km of the local Italian contaminated area, I must admit this is somewhat worrisome, although so far nothing has changed in my daily life.

Japan took another path to handle the situation, let's see what will happen with the tournament

Well, today is the day our workflow with Japan was seriously impacted. A bunch of people in our Japan offices tested positive and now nobody is going to office.

With the number of people that have it within our company it's really hard to make it fit with the numbers officially released by Japan honestly.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

it's really hard to make it fit with the numbers officially released by Japan honestly.

Same situation in China.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ginkitsune said:

Also posting video from NTD (funded by the Falun Gong and highly critical of all Chinese policies) suggesting without any evidence that the true death toll in Wuhan is 20,000 only helps to fuel more speculation.

The actual number (20,000?) of death will never be known to public. China only counts those that were confirmed with nucleic acid test kits, which has very poor sensitive (~30% only) and multiple tests are usually needed to come to a diagnosis and were in severe short supply until mid Feb. Many victims died before a diagnosis.

People do not have to believe what the NTD says, but from the reaction of the Chinese government to lock down or semi-lock down 80 cities, everyone should know how severe the epidemic can be. And from what happened on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, everyone should know how infectious the virus can be.

Another convincing sign of the seriousness of the epidemic: the Chinese National Congress annual meetings, commonly called the "Two Meetings" that are supposed to be held in the first quarter (usually on March 5) of the year according to Chines Constitution, are postponed indefinitely. Postpone of the "Two Meetings" rarely happened, even not in 2003 during the SARS epidemic.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pandaazuma said:

Thanks @Ginkitsune for the common sense. I also had to laugh at that video. People really are incredibly gullible and prone to panic and hysteria based on breathless reports by biased propaganda groups and news outlets with an absolute desire to over-exaggerate. 

If we are to cancel the basho because people are in close contact, why not do the same for all the trains, buses, shops? Hey, let's ban talking to strangers!! Or instead let's use common sense and educate the public on the best way to protect themselves against what is of course a dangerous condition.

Indeed, even in the US I have seen zero effort to start educating people about how to keep themselves and their families as safe as possible. I also question whether enough is currently being done around the world to prepare from the medical side, but I hope I'm wrong. We currently have a bit of breathing room, but I doubt it will last much longer.

The good news on Japan's side is that the numbers over the last week look rather linear to me still. There was a spike of 27 new cases a few days ago, but only 12 and 13 new cases reported by the WHO Situation Report the last two days, respectively. If Japan manages to keep this under control, it will be a sign that having a culture and society where folks really do try and practice civilized behavior, that this can have a positive effect. Wearing masks, staying at home and quarantining oneself if there are overlapping symptoms, etc. I really expected the Japanese numbers to go exponential, as in S. Korea, Italy and Iran. My suspicion is that it's already loose in Africa, too, but it has not yet been reported.

We are also getting more dependable numbers now that it is outside of China. Having a free press is a big deal, no matter what 45% of the US citizens think these days. It's the only way we have a chance to get the truth, even if it is still challenging sometimes.

Coming soon to a theater near you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Well, today is the day our workflow with Japan was seriously impacted. A bunch of people in our Japan offices tested positive and now nobody is going to office.

With the number of people that have it within our company it's really hard to make it fit with the numbers officially released by Japan honestly.

I stopped believing the Japanese official number.  Did anyone notice that all the new infection news seems to cover people what have been admitted a few days ago?

5 hours ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Do you have a reliable number, or is your info in the category of rumor? Not being nasty here, I'm genuinely curious. I have a dear friend in Tokyo who feels the same way. Early on in this I suggested that the Japanese could be relied on for more accurate numbers. He said, "That wasn't the case during the Fukushima Incident and the earthquake/tsunami." 

Honne and tatemae?

I predict Japanese government will announce  10 more infections, plus or minus 2. Neat linear line like Chinese numbers.

Edited by robnplunder

7 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I predict Japanese government will announce  10 more infections, plus or minus 2. Neat linear line like Chinese numbers.

I was off by one.  Japan announced just 7 more new cases.   

I no longer think Natsu basho will happen.  I hope I am wrong on this but in the coming weeks, Japan's infected number will begin its own exponential growth path.  

Top League (Japan’s rugby comp) has cancelled games too now. The JSA can’t ignore the obvious much longer.

14 hours ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Do you have a reliable number, or is your info in the category of rumor? Not being nasty here, I'm genuinely curious. I have a dear friend in Tokyo who feels the same way. Early on in this I suggested that the Japanese could be relied on for more accurate numbers. He said, "That wasn't the case during the Fukushima Incident and the earthquake/tsunami." 

Honne and tatemae?

I know a few for sure, heard it's more. People staying home is a fact - lots of background kids during meetings. Our office complex has more than 10,000 employee. Work from home is kind of a shock, it was strictly prohibited except for management and up before this week.

Indeed, not good memories of tepco response.

I have two Japanese friends who are medical doctors. They advocate taking personal measures, like wearing masks and more frequent hand washing, but did not imply that the government numbers are being manipulated (aka - tatemae style). The WHO Situation Report today showed only 7 new cases in Japan, very promising, if true.