Sign in to follow this  
Kaminariyuki

General Corona Banter

11 minutes ago, Jejima said:

So, although there may be flaws with the straight comparison - as outlined by others - it does give a rough idea of what is happening in two similar sized counties in different developed countries.

Nice example how adjectives and adverbs work: different <> differently ;-)

Updated table....  (See earlier posts for further explanations.)

Confirmed cases for Covid-19
Date              Hillsborough, FL     Staffordshire, Eng 
23rd March - England starts lockdown
March 25       75                            76
1st April - Florida starts lockdown
April 18          924                         1,102
April 22          979                          1,287
May 15          1,512                        ????? 
19th May - Florida reopens
June 4           2,285                       2,265
June 14         3,295                       2,326
June 28         9,130                       2,392
July 2           11,465                      2,415
4th July - England reopens....
July 9            16,666                     3,686
?th July - Mask wearing compulsory in Hillsborough County for most businesses.
July 14          19,828                     3,728
July 21          24,550                     3,789
24th July - Mask wearing compulsory in England's shops

Posted (edited)

Looks like I Will have to wear a mask afterall.

Edited by Fujisan

Posted (edited)

Day 1 of the new rules.

Got my mask yesterday and today I went shopping. 

Visited 4 shops.

Three enforced the new rules

I even saw a man and woman refused entry for not wearing a mask.

Then I went to Asdas(wallmart) and there I saw 3 or 4 customers withot a mask and most of the staff weren't wearing one either. 

I nearly complained.

If I have to look stupid so should everybody else.

Edited by Fujisan
  • Haha 1

<begin rant>These past weeks, it has become increasingly more difficult for me to keep distance during the weekly trip to the shops. I want to keep distance, but people approach me head-on or jostle me from behind. When I see they do not leave me room, I step to one side of the pavement, I guesture, ask for distance, and get ignored, laughed at or worse, and they don't budge an inch towards the other side and keep walking abreast forcing me to cross the street. The shopping centre is simply too crowded, it's like running a gauntlet. Walking lanes are marked but very few people observe these. When I wait in order to give someone distance, others coming from behind pass so close by that they are practically breathing down my neck. And this is in the quiet hours of the day! I'm thinking of carrying a cane and swiping it around; let them come too close then! Irresponsible idiots!
Our Minister for Justice and Safety has come on television imploring people to observe distance, but it is as if the younger half of the population is ignoring this en masse. They simply don't listen. They walk around as if they have forgotten what happened in March. Of course they themselves have the least risk of dying if they get infected, and they call this proof that Covid-19 isn't so bad. But the real reason there are fewer deaths now is that people like me are staying at home! 
Infections have doubled here since last week, those tested positive now are the younger population that has become tired of the rules. They have taken possession of all the space there is, it's the holiday season and having fun together with friends is much more important than some invisible virus that may kill their grandparents. Where's my cane???!! <end rant>

• Like 3

1 hour ago, orandashoho said:

<begin rant>These past weeks, it has become increasingly more difficult for me to keep distance during the weekly trip to the shops. I want to keep distance, but people approach me head-on or jostle me from behind. When I see they do not leave me room, I step to one side of the pavement, I guesture, ask for distance, and get ignored, laughed at or worse, and they don't budge an inch towards the other side and keep walking abreast forcing me to cross the street. The shopping centre is simply too crowded, it's like running a gauntlet. Walking lanes are marked but very few people observe these. When I wait in order to give someone distance, others coming from behind pass so close by that they are practically breathing down my neck. And this is in the quiet hours of the day! I'm thinking of carrying a cane and swiping it around; let them come too close then! Irresponsible idiots!
Our Minister for Justice and Safety has come on television imploring people to observe distance, but it is as if the younger half of the population is ignoring this en masse. They simply don't listen. They walk around as if they have forgotten what happened in March. Of course they themselves have the least risk of dying if they get infected, and they call this proof that Covid-19 isn't so bad. But the real reason there are fewer deaths now is that people like me are staying at home! 
Infections have doubled here since last week, those tested positive now are the younger population that has become tired of the rules. They have taken possession of all the space there is, it's the holiday season and having fun together with friends is much more important than some invisible virus that may kill their grandparents. Where's my cane???!! <end rant>

Sorry but its not just the youngsters.

I  have done all the things you mention in your message and I am tired of the rules.

I dont intentionly encroach in a persons space and will move when asked but some people overreact like I had just tried to kill them.

I know its about saving lives but the way things are now is it worth saving?

Lifes no fun anymore and thats what its all about for me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Fujisan OK you are right it is not just the youngsters. Plenty of older people who should really know better are flaunting the distance rules.

Think about this as a war. Thankfully, we've had peace in Europe for so long that there are few people alive today who can remember first hand what sacrifices were willingly borne during the war. Be glad that the sacrifices asked for today are so light.
We are not bombed or asked to take up arms and fight, but the virus is killing people.
Not you, perhaps. And maybe there are other things that kill people too and people do nothing about, like motorcars that keep the economy rolling.
But a pandemic is a serious threat. And we are not asked to give up our social lives forever -- just to curtail it for long enough to deny the virus an environment in which it can thrive.
Is that so hard?

Edited by orandashoho

3 hours ago, orandashoho said:

@Fujisan OK you are right it is not just the youngsters. Plenty of older people who should really know better are flaunting the distance rules.

Think about this as a war. Thankfully, we've had peace in Europe for so long that there are few people alive today who can remember first hand what sacrifices were willingly borne during the war. Be glad that the sacrifices asked for today are so light.
We are not bombed or asked to take up arms and fight, but the virus is killing people.
Not you, perhaps. And maybe there are other things that kill people too and people do nothing about, like motorcars that keep the economy rolling.
But a pandemic is a serious threat. And we are not asked to give up our social lives forever -- just to curtail it for long enough to deny the virus an environment in which it can thrive.
Is that so hard?

Well I’m a pacifist but we wont go into  that. 

" Is that hard?"

I think its harder than it needs to be,yes.

The planet and its people have managed just fine for thousands of years without this palaver. 

Whats changed?

On 25/07/2020 at 01:11, Fujisan said:

Day 1 of the new rules.

Got my mask yesterday and today I went shopping. 

If I have to look stupid so should everybody else. 

On 25/07/2020 at 04:47, Fujisan said:

Lifes no fun anymore and thats what its all about for me. 

To me, going shopping is about the same amount of fun regardless if I wear a mask or not. I am also unsure whether I look more stupid if I wear one or even better (at least I don't have to worry about being unshaven anymore)! ;)

On a more serious note: It's interesting that the pandemic produces such different experiences: To me, overall, the quality of life actually improved during the crisis as I was able to spend more time with my kids and had to travel less for work reasons, basically not at all for several months. As we had no complete lockdown in Germany and the playgrounds reopened pretty soon, my family and me were also able to spent way more time with other parents in the neighborhood and with our friends - the only thing that changed was that we kept more distance and avoided shaking hands or hugging which, obviously, is not really a big deal. Playing tennis or football was not possible for a couple of months (luckily it was allowed again just in time for summer), but with so much spare time at hand I went jogging every day and feel as fit as never before. Of course, I am at a stage of life where I am not interested in big parties anymore and with small kids you tend to eat at home instead of going out anyway.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Fujisan said:

Whats changed?

Are you serious? Overpopulation. Concentration of people in cities. Globalization. Mass tourism industry offering affordable holidays to people with lower incomes. Budget airlines offering cheap air fares.  Mass leisure industry. Explosive growth of festivals, pop concerts and special events bringing very large numbers of people together in small spaces. Sports in which multimillion budgets need to be offset by mass attendance. An economy based on consumerism.

• Like 2

On 26/07/2020 at 07:27, Flohru said:

To me, going shopping is about the same amount of fun regardless if I wear a mask or not. I am also unsure whether I look more stupid if I wear one or even better (at least I don't have to worry about being unshaven anymore)! ;)

On a more serious note: It's interesting that the pandemic produces such different experiences: To me, overall, the quality of life actually improved during the crisis as I was able to spend more time with my kids and had to travel less for work reasons, basically not at all for several months. As we had no complete lockdown in Germany and the playgrounds reopened pretty soon, my family and me were also able to spent way more time with other parents in the neighborhood and with our friends - the only thing that changed was that we kept more distance and avoided shaking hands or hugging which, obviously, is not really a big deal. Playing tennis or football was not possible for a couple of months (luckily it was allowed again just in time for summer), but with so much spare time at hand I went jogging every day and feel as fit as never before. Of course, I am at a stage of life where I am not interested in big parties anymore and with small kids you tend to eat at home instead of going out anyway.

Life is fun for me.

I am unmarried and childless and one of the reason for that is I am a bit selfish and couldnt give half my life to another person.

On 26/07/2020 at 15:52, orandashoho said:

Are you serious? Overpopulation. Concentration of people in cities. Globalization. Mass tourism industry offering affordable holidays to people with lower incomes. Budget airlines offering cheap air fares.  Mass leisure industry. Explosive growth of festivals, pop concerts and special events bringing very large numbers of people together in small spaces. Sports in which multimillion budgets need to be offset by mass attendance. An economy based on consumerism.

No I'm not joking,I just think the virus should be allowed to run its natural course and I am not convinced there is a need for alll this lockdown and social distancing.

• Like 1

On 26/07/2020 at 10:52, orandashoho said:

Those damn people with lower incomes.  They did it again.  Well, during lockdown there are no festivals, sports, concerts; the people I know of are either still getting paid (gov't employees, Walmart, other big retailers, white collar work-from-homes) or unemployed and heading for disaster.  Oh, roofing workers are doing great: in my neighborhood 10 different houses are getting roof replacements in the last two months.  And a new in-ground pool down the street.  Weird times.

6 hours ago, Fujisan said:

No I'm not joking,I just think the virus should be allowed to run its natural course and I am not convinced there is a need for alll this lockdown and social distancing.

6 hours ago, Fujisan said:

Life is fun for me.

I am unmarried and childless and one of the reason for that is I am a bit selfish and couldnt give half my life to another person.

It’s not about you though, is it? Governments have to make decisions for the greater good of the whole country and people like you just have to accept being collateral damage. Letting the virus “run its natural course” puts a lot of people who aren’t like you at great risk and, I’m sorry to say, they have to come first. Letting the virus run its natural course ends in my grandmother being dead, possibly also my mum with her various medical conditions. Even my seemingly healthy dad has his problems that could make him vulnerable. I’d rather people like you have to endure a few more evenings in front of the TV than them having to lie in a hospital bed. Better a life with no fun than no life at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

It’s not about you though, is it? Governments have to make decisions for the greater good of the whole country and people like you just have to accept being collateral damage. Letting the virus “run its natural course” puts a lot of people who aren’t like you at great risk and, I’m sorry to say, they have to come first. Letting the virus run its natural course ends in my grandmother being dead, possibly also my mum with her various medical conditions. Even my seemingly healthy dad has his problems that could make him vulnerable. I’d rather people like you have to endure a few more evenings in front of the TV than them having to lie in a hospital bed. Better a life with no fun than no life at all.

The problem is that we as the human society don't know how much more lives are ruined than saved by trying out all kinds of measures, staggering in the dark. This is a test, in which we use up what humanity has achieved so far - wealth, liberty ...

And the problem is that we as the forum members have to get into out-of-bounds politics to discuss it

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Dont you think you are going a bit over the top with this?

Flu can kill the the old and sick aswell and thats been around for  thousands of years and it hasn't wiped us out yet.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Fujisan said:

Dont you think you are going a bit over the top with this?

Flu can kill the the old and sick aswell and thats been around for  thousands of years and it hasn't wiped us out yet.

Maybe we are and I appreciate that economic activity can’t be stopped indefinitely and we will need to learn to live with it, but not so people who are bored can enjoy life again. That’s not a good enough reason to throw caution to the wind. Here in China we have been able to return to a fairly normal life but we still take precautions everywhere and it works just fine. Masks on the subway, temperature checks in public buildings, limits on the number of tickets that can be sold for events/museums, etc. It’s allowing us to resume living but at the same time reduce risk, and the message remains one of taking social responsibility. The goal is to get the economy moving, not “have fun”.

The problem the West seems to be having is that people don’t want to accept a transition back to their old life. They want there to be a day when the virus is declared defeated and life can return to normal in an instant, like the end of a war. But there is going to need to be a phase where people exercise caution and take social responsibility by wearing masks, consenting to temperature checks, sanitizing hands, social distancing, putting up with sudden changes when local outbreak occur, etc. It could last months and it will get annoying and exhausting and frustrating, but tough shit frankly. I haven’t liked it either (remember we’ve had this two months longer than anywhere else) but it’s a small price to pay in the scheme of things. An epidemic can’t be turned on and off like a tap. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Fujisan said:

Ah the old "A therefore B - QED" line

On 27/07/2020 at 23:06, Fujisan said:

Life is fun for me.

Well, that was actually my point: Life is fun for me, too, and - as long as you are not quarantained - there still seems to be plenty of fun things to do, even if some of them will require you to keep more distance than usual or wear a mask. BTW: Most people would probably not consider spending time with their family/loved ones to be a sacrifice! ;-)

Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience, not spark another political debate. I do hope you will find a way out of your personal misery. Stay safe!

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

Ah the old "A therefore B - QED" line

Surprising to still see this comparison being made six months into the pandemic. Even the at the revised death rate of 0.2% (4/2000) that I’ve seen it is four times more fatal than flu, which has a death rate of 0.05% (1/2000).

Edited by Eikokurai
Mistyped some numbers

On the first day of the mandatory mask wearing in shops, I saw good compliance.

A few days later, it is still better than before the rule came into play, but it is not always being observed.

In particular, the indoor market in Stafford centre has signs on all entrances saying that masks must be worn at all times. We only saw one stall holder wearing a mask, and she removed it to talk to a customer. Only about a third of the customers in the market (including my family) were wearing masks.

The small town in Staffordshire where one of my sisters and her family lives has had an outbreak of Covid-19 after the relaxation of the lockdown rules.

July 30          28,268                     3,844

For more explanation, see my earlier posts in this thread.
  • Thanks 1

'General Corona Banter'... I hope the banter bit is true!

• Haha 1

On 29/06/2020 at 08:59, Jejima said:

Having seen how the people of Staffordshire are reacting to a partial relaxing of the lockdown rules already in place (very laxly), I have a feeling that my county will also see a major rise in Covid-19 cases following a similar curve to Hillsborough over July and the start of August, after the country opens up more fully in a week's time.

So, I predict (unless the lockdown is reinstated, or more strict rules are brought in) that Staffordshire will have at least 8,000 cases by mid-August, and probably 9,000.  If I remember, I will report back the actual figures then (even if I am way off with my predictions - because that is how science works.)

Updated table....

July 30          28,268                     3,844
August 13     33,198                    3,928

So, I was way off in my prediction. This is good news for my family and me living in Staffordshire. In 3 weeks time, my two young boys will be at school. School attendance will be compulsory in September for all children over the age of 5 - as in normal times. There was some concern on the Whatsapp group for parents of the children in my four year old's (turning five in November) class about the return, but not too much.

For more explanation, see my earlier posts in this thread.

Posted (edited)

The shops still don't enforce the mask wearing rules. 

I do wear mine now when I go shopping.

Even though I said I wouldn't because I realiesd how easy it was to slip it on and slip it off.

Its no bother and you can buy them for 50p.

Edited by Fujisan
  • Like 5