Sign in to follow this  
Kaminariyuki

General Corona Banter

Recommended Posts

On 02/06/2020 at 00:33, Yamanashi said:

In many US cities, people still facing fines or arrest for going to barber or church during the day, at night large dense crowds setting fires and looting stores.  At least most Antifa members are wearing masks.

I would never wear a mask myself 

I will take my chances. 

That is a personal choice though.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main reason to wear a mask is not to protect oneself (although it does give some protection) but to protect others. I don't like wearing a mask either, but I have two vulnerable parents who I love dearly. There is a real risk that if either of my parents catch the virus, they would die.  However, if everybody in the UK wore masks in public, the chances of my parents catching the virus would be greatly reduced. I therefore wear a mask when I go out in public, not really for my benefit, but because I hope that it will be become the norm.

When I was growing up in Grimsby, smoking was allowed on buses, in the cinema etc. I remember people visiting my (non-smoker) parents and lighting up in the living room, without even checking to see if it was okay or not. When smoking was banned in various places, people thought it was infringing on their civil rights etc, rather than realising that it was keeping those around them safe from breathing in second-hand smoke. A few decades later, people can still smoke in Grimsby (and the rest of the UK), but they are much more mindful about where they do it. 

Despite being an ex-smoker myself, I get annoyed when anybody consciously smokes too close to my two young children (aged 3 and 4), as I feel that they are being put in needless danger - however small. In the same way, I currently feel annoyed when I see anyone walking too close to my parents without wearing a mask.  I suppose having lived in Hong Kong for nearly 2 decades is part of the reason I feel that way. In Hong Kong people have always worn face masks at the slightest sniff. When I was first in Hong Kong, I found this annoying, but over a year or so, I adjusted to that way of life. :-)

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jejima said:

The main reason to wear a mask is not to protect oneself (although it does give some protection) but to protect others. I don't like wearing a mask either, but I have two vulnerable parents who I love dearly. There is a real risk that if either of my parents catch the virus, they would die.  However, if everybody in the UK wore masks in public, the chances of my parents catching the virus would be greatly reduced. I therefore wear a mask when I go out in public, not really for my benefit, but because I hope that it will be become the norm.

When I was growing up in Grimsby, smoking was allowed on buses, in the cinema etc. I remember people visiting my (non-smoker) parents and lighting up in the living room, without even checking to see if it was okay or not. When smoking was banned in various places, people thought it was infringing on their civil rights etc, rather than realising that it was keeping those around them safe from breathing in second-hand smoke. A few decades later, people can still smoke in Grimsby (and the rest of the UK), but they are much more mindful about where they do it. 

Despite being an ex-smoker myself, I get annoyed when anybody consciously smokes too close to my two young children (aged 3 and 4), as I feel that they are being put in needless danger - however small. In the same way, I currently feel annoyed when I see anyone walking too close to my parents without wearing a mask.  I suppose having lived in Hong Kong for nearly 2 decades is part of the reason I feel that way. In Hong Kong people have always worn face masks at the slightest sniff. When I was first in Hong Kong, I found this annoying, but over a year or so, I adjusted to that way of life. :-)

I appreciate that but I dont have anyone to worry about.

Just a few friends who are of like mind and are happy to take their chances. 

The one friend I live with is the biggest dissenter of all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's be clear; I wear a mask to protect myself.  I'm rather susceptible to flu (when I didn't get the yearly flu shot, it was a real ordeal).  My wife is mostly homebound and also vulnerable, so I have to go out in the world; my worst fears are that I'll pick it up from my son who works at Walmart.  One thing I've learned: you can't count on others to pay more than lip service to good intentions.  But if I wear a mask, my chances go up tenfold whether other people are responsible or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The vast majority of the non-politicized medical professionals agree that the wearing of masks will do little or nothing to protect against acquiring the virus, and it may reduce the chance that a symptomatic patient would spread the virus.  My wife and I are both approaching 80, and she is asthmatic with COPD.  I volunteer to deliver meals to a bunch of 80 and 90 year olds.  I wear a mask when near strangers and when delivering meals on the remote chance that I might acquire and spread the virus.  It also gives comfort to those near me who might be in the throes of needless virus panic.

I also use nitrile gloves and hand sanitizer when I am in a location that I might touch or handle something which may have recently been touched by others.  This is probably much more effective than the mask, but, strangely, it is not emphasized in the media panic pieces.

 

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
0
 Advanced issue found
 
 
10 hours ago, Asojima said:

The vast majority of the non-politicized medical professionals agree that the wearing of masks will do little or nothing to protect against acquiring the virus, and it may reduce the chance that a symptomatic patient would spread the virus. 

Really?   The vast majority think otherwise.   Mask wearing culture/countries has done better with Corona.    It is not foolproof but will help.   

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Fujisan said:

I appreciate that but I dont have anyone to worry about.

Just a few friends who are of like mind and are happy to take their chances. 

The one friend I live with is the biggest dissenter of all. 

You should wear it not to spread to others in case you have the virus.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Mask wearing countries/cultures tend to take many steps to void contagious diseases.  The masks, by themselves, are not necessarily the prime factor in their successful  battle against covid. The primary value in masks is that they reduce the area that is contaminated by a coughing/sneezing virus carrier.  They are of very limited use for asymptomatic carriers. 

Edited by Asojima

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Asojima said:

The vast majority of the non-politicized medical professionals agree that the wearing of masks will do little or nothing to protect against acquiring the virus, and it may reduce the chance that a symptomatic patient would spread the virus.  My wife and I are both approaching 80, and she is asthmatic with COPD.  I volunteer to deliver meals to a bunch of 80 and 90 year olds.  I wear a mask when near strangers and when delivering meals on the remote chance that I might acquire and spread the virus.  It also gives comfort to those near me who might be in the throes of needless virus panic.

I also use nitrile gloves and hand sanitizer when I am in a location that I might touch or handle something which may have recently been touched by others.  This is probably much more effective than the mask, but, strangely, it is not emphasized in the media panic pieces.

 

5 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Really?   The vast majority think otherwise.   Mask wearing culture/countries has done better with Corona.    It is not foolproof but will help.   

 

I believe that you are both correct.

Wearing a mask does not stop me from getting the virus if I come in close contact with somebody that has it (although it might help a bit - it certainly won't harm) - but it is greatly reduces the likelihood that I will pass it on to others, should I have it.

Countries where there is a lot of mask wearing means that people who have it, are NOT passing it on nearly as much as for countries where mask-wearing is not common practice.

Let's compare to passive smoking....  As a non-smoker, I avoid going close to 'smoking corners'. My chances of avoiding cancer are therefore improved. There are many countries where smoking is banned in restaurants, transport, shops etc, and it is culturally rude if you smoke in someone else's place if they are a non-smoker (I am thinking of modern day UK). This is the equivalent of countries where people wear masks as a rule. I can live my life happily in the UK avoiding second-hand smoke at all times, and know that if I do get cancer, it was probably not from second-hand smoke.  There are some countries (I am thinking of the Philippines, where my wife is from, and where we often visit), where smoking is the norm amongst the men. If a man goes round to somebody's home, he will probably light up (the ladies rarely smoke). The man may check to see if it is okay to smoke out of politeness, but it would be strange for the homeowner to stop him from smoking. That is the equivalent of countries where not wearing a mask is the norm.  Out of the two types of countries, I am more likely to get cancer from secondhand smoke in the Philippines than in the UK.

Covid is more likely to be spread in countries where mask-wearing is not normal.

It needs a paradigm shift for mask-wearing to be considered normal in the UK. I hope it does happen, in the same way that within the past twenty years, the attitudes to smoking has changed.

My parents are going stir-crazy after so many weeks of lockdown, and are venturing out more. They do wear masks - but as has been implied, this may actually give them a false illusion of safety, if the people that they are interacting with are not wearing masks.

So, I urge everyone to seriously consider wearing masks when out in public - not for one's own benefit, but for the benefit of others. It will not be forever - just until a vaccine / cure has been found / herd immunity has taken root / the virus disappears on its own.  :-)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For those who wear a mask for disease protection, it should, in theory, be loaded with contaminates.  How many times per hour do you touch that damn thing?  :-O

Edited by Asojima

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/06/2020 at 09:53, robnplunder said:

You should wear it not to spread to others in case you have the virus.   

 I see what you mean but I still cannot wear a mask and I am not the the only one   .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Asojima said:

For those who wear a mask for disease protection, it should, in theory, be loaded with contaminates.  How many times per hour do you touch that damn thing?  :-O

You'd be amazed how often one touches his face/mouth with hands.   Wearing a mask will help stop touching your face/mouth area with your hands.     On average, a person touches their face/mouth about 15 - 25 times an hour.    Before I wore my 1st mask for the virus, I've decided to count and see how I did.  I stopped counting after just 10 minutes b/c it was apparent I am more on "25" side than "15."   

Complement wearing mask with frequent hand washing and we will all be safe.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Wearing a mask increases the number of times the face or mask is touched.  A contaminated mask would contaminate the hands.  Contaminated hands would contaminate both the mask and the face.  Contaminated hands also touch items that are commonly touched by others.  How many times an hour are you willing or able to wash your hands.  The mask theory sucks.  I'm done.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A question for all on this board.

Does anyone here know someone who as had the virus?

I probablyknow 300 or more people but I dont know anyone who's had the illness.  

Makes it hard to understand what all  the fuss is about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/05/2020 at 02:38, Fujisan said:

Britaln is talking about allowing  groups of 6  people to meet.

 Now all  I need is five more friends ;-)

 

4 hours ago, Fujisan said:

I probablyknow 300 or more people but I dont know anyone who's had the illness. 

Hmmm.... (Scratchingchin...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fujisan said:

A question for all on this board.

Does anyone here know someone who as had the virus?

I probablyknow 300 or more people but I dont know anyone who's had the illness.  

Makes it hard to understand what all  the fuss is about.

One of the residents in the dementia care home where my wife worked briefly. She gave him his last breakfast before he died. In the place that she worked there were 40 residents when she did her induction. A week later - when my family went into quarantine after the death of that gentleman, four residents (10% of the total) in total had died of the virus. No family visitors were allowed. So the virus was being brought in by the people working there. My wife was asked several times on her first shift NOT to wear a mask, because it made the residents feel uneasy. She was the only member of staff who wore a mask at all times. Four people died. They were not my parents, but they were the same age as my parents. The members of staff should have been following PPE protocol better. But think of all the people that they come into contact with outside of the care home, from whom they might have caught the virus from.

Additionally, the brother of my wife's driving teacher is also dead from the virus. One of my sister's best friend's father is also no longer with us. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jejima said:

One of the residents in the dementia care home where my wife worked briefly. She gave him his last breakfast before he died. In the place that she worked there were 40 residents when she did her induction. A week later - when my family went into quarantine after the death of that gentleman, four residents (10% of the total) in total had died of the virus. No family visitors were allowed. So the virus was being brought in by the people working there. My wife was asked several times on her first shift NOT to wear a mask, because it made the residents feel uneasy. She was the only member of staff who wore a mask at all times. Four people died. They were not my parents, but they were the same age as my parents. The members of staff should have been following PPE protocol better. But think of all the people that they come into contact with outside of the care home, from whom they might have caught the virus from.

Additionally, the brother of my wife's driving teacher is also dead from the virus. One of my sister's best friend's father is also no longer with us. 

 

Sorry to hear this jezz

 I have a friend who cant visit his 92 year old mother.

Before the corona virus he went every week.

I cant help but feel Sorry for him

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

 

Hmmm.... (Scratchingchin...)

I said I knew 300 people,  I didn't  say I  was on friendly terms  with them all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 16/06/2020 at 10:10, Fujisan said:

A question for all on this board.

Does anyone here know someone who as had the virus?

I probablyknow 300 or more people but I dont know anyone who's had the illness.  

Makes it hard to understand what all  the fuss is about.

One of my dad’s wife’s patients died and the cause of death was listed as coronavirus. Here in China my manager’s old school teacher died of it in Wuhan.

I’m also suspicious that my son might have had it back in late November. He was in hospital for a week with some sort of pneumonia that didn’t respond to the usual treatments. My wife isn’t convinced, and I’m not saying I am, but it’s in the back of my mind. I’m not putting him through tests to find out though. He’s spent enough time being experimented on, including having something shoved down his windpipe to collect a sample, which must have terrified him.

Edited by Eikokurai
Mixed up wife’s dad and dad’s wife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/06/2020 at 22:10, Fujisan said:

A question for all on this board.

Does anyone here know someone who as had the virus?

I probablyknow 300 or more people but I dont know anyone who's had the illness.  

Makes it hard to understand what all  the fuss is about.

There is an elderly health care facility a few minutes from where I live. My mother's friend is a patient there. Back in April, the facility was hit with the virus. 9 patients and health care workers died. My mom's friend miraculously not only survived, but somehow managed to avoid getting sick at all, though she hasn't been able to have any visitors for the last three months or so due to the restrictions. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/06/2020 at 04:10, Fujisan said:

A question for all on this board.

Does anyone here know someone who as had the virus?

I probablyknow 300 or more people but I dont know anyone who's had the illness.  

Makes it hard to understand what all  the fuss is about.

One co-worker and one family member got infected by the virus, tested positive and subsequently sick, aged 40 and 32. An additional friend, 28, ticked most boxes for symptoms (shortness of breath, loss of smelling and tasting capabilities) but was denied testing because of test shortage in the last weeks of March

One of them remained positive for an interminable 35 days.

Thankfully they are young and went through it without going to the hospital, but they all told me it was a dreadful experience, they were particularly afraid to endanger their older family members (and patients, one of them is a medical doctor, so on the frontline)

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
My good friend Jim (we used to live on the same little island in Japan, in neighbouring villages) lives in Hillsborough County in Florida. We are fairly regularly in touch.  By chance, in one of our email exchanges back at the end of March, Jim mentioned that there were 75 confirmed cases in his county of Hillsborough. I found online that my county of Staffordshire in England had 76 confirmed cases on that same day. So, I checked to see the size and population of the two counties, and I have been keeping a periodic eye on them ever since. 
 
The population of Hillsborough County, Florida is 1.2 million. Its land area is 1,020 square miles. 
The population of Staffordshire, England is 1.1 million. Its land area is 1,047 square miles. 
So the two counties are very similar in size and population. At the end of March (when both places were at the start of their respective lockdowns), they had almost the same number of Covid-19 cases.
 
Below is the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases on the days that I looked them up for the two counties.
 
                       Confirmed cases for Covid-19
Date              Hillsborough, FL     Staffordshire, Eng 
23rd March - England starts lockdown
March 25       75                            76
1st April - Florida starts lockdown
April 18          924                         1,102
April 22          979                          1,287
May 15          1,512                        ????? (can anyone find this for me?)
19th May - Florida reopens
June 4           2,285                       2,265
June 14         3,295                       2,326
June 28         9,130                       2,392
4th July - England reopens....
Edited by Jejima
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jejima said:
My good friend Jim (we used to live on the same little island in Japan, in neighbouring villages) lives in Hillsborough County in Florida. We are fairly regularly in touch.  By chance, in one of our email exchanges back at the end of March, Jim mentioned that there were 75 confirmed cases in his county of Hillsborough. I found online that my county of Staffordshire in England had 76 confirmed cases on that same day. So, I checked to see the size and population of the two counties, and I have been keeping a periodic eye on them ever since. 
 
The population of Hillsborough County, Florida is 1.2 million. Its land area is 1,020 square miles. 
The population of Staffordshire, England is 1.1 million. Its land area is 1,047 square miles. 
So the two counties are very similar in size and population. At the end of March (when both places were at the start of their respective lockdowns), they had almost the same number of Covid-19 cases.
 
Below is the number of confirmed Covid-19 cases on the days that I looked them up for the two counties.
 
                       Confirmed cases for Covid-19
Date              Hillsborough, FL     Staffordshire, Eng 
23rd March - England starts lockdown
March 25       75                            76
1st April - Florida starts lockdown
April 18          924                         1,102
April 22          979                          1,287
May 15          1,512                        ????? (can anyone find this for me?)
19th May - Florida reopens
June 4           2,285                       2,265
June 14         3,295                       2,326
June 28         9,130                       2,392
4th July - England reopens....

Now look for the secret ingredient, the number nobody seems to know with confidence ... the number of people tested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yamanashi said:

Now look for the secret ingredient, the number nobody seems to know with confidence ... the number of people tested.

I think that the implication here might be that Staffordshire, England is not testing as many people as Florida. From anecdotal evidence, I would suggest otherwise. There is a parking spot close to where I live which has  been used for drive in testing for over a month. There are other places like it in my county.  My father (who lives in the same street as myself) was recently included in a random testing trial. Anyone who needs a test seems to be able to get one *now* (this was not always the case), on the National Health Service.  This again is based on anecdotal evidence, having heard the experience of a friend of mine from a few weeks back.  

If I understand what is happening in Florida correctly,  the Covid-19 numbers might actually be under-reported.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this