Sign in to follow this  
Kaminariyuki

General Corona Banter

6 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

That looks to me like one of the mods resorting to a "Strongly discouraged action". Unwarranted too...

Perhaps it's time to lock this thread.

22 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

I’d fess-up and say “excuse me,” except since I’m certain you enjoyed that, I’ll stick with “you’re welcome.”

That white knighting is totally working out for you...

• Like 1

I'm expecting this thread to collapse into the void and join HFscandal1 any minute

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

I'm expecting this thread to collapse into the void and join HFscandal1 any minute

This thread has been about 90% void of usable content from the start. 

2 hours ago, Asojima said:

This thread has been about 90% void of usable content from the start. 

You don't do kuukido?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Surprisingly balanced report on the Swedish situation from the NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/28/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus-herd-immunity.html

I don't see anything balanced about it. It looks like an article about a quirky country who went against the world, totally abandoning its elderly for money, which is pretty much agreed by all interviewees.  If that's OK by you, good. Not OK by me. Still doesn't change the fact that the numbers are numbers. Not a word about your account of how it's being counted over there (would like to see a link to that), because it simply is not the case. Government officials, contrary to you, are acknowledging the numbers. After this is over, someone there will pay dearly, mark my words. Tegnell will be the first to go with his "herd immunity" nonsense, as nobody knows if there is any immunity in getting infected at all. I can give you links to countless articles about Sweden, not that "balanced."  https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-05-01/covid-19-sweden-hasn-t-cracked-the-coronavirus-code

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/sweden-coronavirus-death-toll-reaches-1000  Just two randomitsukies..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

I don't see anything balanced about it. It looks like an article about a quirky country who went against the world, totally abandoning its elderly for money, which is pretty much agreed by all interviewees.  If that's OK by you, good. Not OK by me. Still doesn't change the fact that the numbers are numbers. Not a word about your account of how it's being counted over there (would like to see a link to that), because it simply is not the case. Government officials, contrary to you, are acknowledging the numbers. After this is over, someone there will pay dearly, mark my words. Tegnell will be the first to go with his "herd immunity" nonsense, as nobody knows if there is any immunity in getting infected at all. I can give you links to countless articles about Sweden, not that "balanced."  https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-05-01/covid-19-sweden-hasn-t-cracked-the-coronavirus-code

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/sweden-coronavirus-death-toll-reaches-1000  Just two randomitsukies..

+1.

IMO, this is already a failed strategy.  As of 5/3, Sweden has high death per million and their new infections are still (slowly) curbing up, unlike many of its neighbors which are curbing down.   I.e, their fight against C19 is going to take a much longer time to quell.  Will see what it does to its local economy at the end.

Herd immunity sounds good in theory but it is unproven against C19 which mutates like crazy.   The world thanks Sweden in advance for their experiment. 

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Herd immunity sounds good in theory but it is unproven against C19 which mutates like crazy.

No, Corona Virus Disease 2019 will always be COVID19, just like the mutation of the H1N1 Influenza Virus which caused the 1918-19 pandemic will always be referred to as the 'Spanish Flu'. It's the virus itself that mutates, not the disease it causes. Like H1N1, Corona Virus will mutate rapidly into something more or (most probably) less virulent. All we can really do is get Darwinian about it; i.e. adapt and (on an individual basis, hopefully) survive.

I don't think I'm being particularly cynical when I say the UK Government's lockdown policy is less about saving lives than it is about preventing the underfunded National Health Service from becoming overwhelmed. And I imagine it's a fairly safe bet that when this is all over, Sweden will still be one of the countries with the highest 'happiness quotient'.

Not a lot of "and sumo" in this thread...

Edited by RabidJohn

53 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Sweden will still be one of the countries with the highest 'happiness quotient'.

Our 'happiness quotient" is very high as well, but believe me, that's not a real thing..

53 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

I don't think I'm being particularly cynical when I say the UK Government's lockdown policy is less about saving lives than it is about preventing the underfunded National Health Service from becoming overwhelmed.

It's about saving lives by preventing health services from becoming overwhelmed. Same as everywhere that similar measures were instituted.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

I don't think I'm being particularly cynical when I say the UK Government's lockdown policy is less about saving lives than it is about preventing the underfunded National Health Service from becoming overwhelmed.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive. 

Having relatives in Sweden, I can share first hand information. Sweden did not abandon their elderly, Sweden did the only logical thing for a country with such low population density. Sweden is not guilty of anything but actually protecting the lives of everybody, who would have suffered greatly having they enforced a lockdown like the rest of the world. Just a small example - if you have a country with 2000 coronavirus-related deaths, which ends up with 200 000 unemployed due to the restrictions, can you count the loss of lives as result of those lost jobs? In time, how many people will commit suicide, how many will suffer from stress-related diseases? It is all very subjective and in all cases, 2000 virus-related deaths are practically nothing compared to the long-term effect, especially in the context of a virus, which will not just go away one morning. People keep comparing Sweden to Norway or Finland, but do compare them to countries, which were in complete lockdown - how about France or even Belgium and Netherlands. Sweden has lower death rate per 1m people. Another thing about the elderly - people over 80 are in danger even if they catch a simple cold, does that mean every winter all the world should go into lockdown? In fact, the number of deaths in Europe from flu-related complications with the over 80s last year is over 63 000 - a third of all COVID-related deaths altogether.

I just wish that Abe would deem oozumo an essential business, just as Florida's governor did re WWE... ;-)

7 hours ago, botev1921 said:

Having relatives in Sweden, I can share first hand information. Sweden did not abandon their elderly,etc

And I have good friends in Sweden that are saying the exact opposite- that the feeling in the street is that the government screwed up big time. Also, it's taking on racial connotations as people are blaming the minorities and saying most of the epidemic started from their areas. And there is a strong feeling of guilt regarding the elderly, their being prone to illnesses as it is notwithstanding.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, botev1921 said:

(...) Sweden did the only logical thing for a country with such low population density.

I don't believe the population density in Sweden's actual population centres is markedly different from the mid-sized and larger cities in most other European countries. That Sweden also has vast areas where (almost) nobody lives is pretty irrelevant, since those obviously have no effect on how the virus spreads in the places where people do live.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

I don't believe the population density in Sweden's actual population centres is markedly different from the mid-sized and larger cities in most other European countries. That Sweden also has vast areas where (almost) nobody lives is pretty irrelevant, since those obviously have no effect on how the virus spreads in the places where people do live.

Canada has even bigger and sparser distant areas, and that hasn't stopped Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver from being major hot spots.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Sue said:

Canada has even bigger and sparser distant areas, and that hasn't stopped Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver from being major hot spots.

The US has had 1.2M cases with 69K deaths.  605K cases and 45K deaths have been concentrated in New York City and its immediate surrounding area.  Of the remaining cases, more than 50% of the cases and deaths have been concentrated in 3 or 4 major cities.  The entire country is on lockdown even though the virus is concentrated in the major financial and news centers.  The state of Montana has had 450 cases and 16 deaths.  If Montana had 100 times those numbers, and New York City had Montana's numbers, would NYC shut down?

Edited by Asojima

2 hours ago, Sasanishiki said:

https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/sumo/20200504-OYT1T50087/

Two articles previously linked, and a third above, all mention that this is the third time that a basho has been cancelled. The English language article doesn't mention it, so I thought I'd expound for those who are interested.

The first time was the Natsu Basho in 1946, when there were delays in the restoration work to the old Ryogoku Kokugikan due to war damage, and the second was the Haru Basho in 2011, which was cancelled due to the match-fixing scandal.

Despite my earlier optimism, the July basho is not safe especially if Tokyo can't get a handle on their C19 situation.   The downward trend for C19 is there but would it be good enough by July? 

7 hours ago, Asojima said:

The US has had 1.2M cases with 69K deaths.  605K cases and 45K deaths have been concentrated in New York City and its immediate surrounding area.  Of the remaining cases, more than 50% of the cases and deaths have been concentrated in 3 or 4 major cities.  The entire country is on lockdown even though the virus is concentrated in the major financial and news centers.  The state of Montana has had 450 cases and 16 deaths.  If Montana had 100 times those numbers, and New York City had Montana's numbers, would NYC shut down?

Everyone knows who screwed up and who didn't; most of the energy in American media is to make you disbelieve your lyin' eyes.  Meanwhile, as parts of the country try to open up a little, US has shed 28 million jobs, equal to the population of South Korea.  What does this have to do with sumo?  If Japan has anything like the economic gut punch that other countries will suffer, the NSK will have some hard decisions to make.  People out of work after a long layout don't buy tickets.  The elites who have the good seats are mostly old and at risk.  Government TV will not pay full price for reduced or no basho.  Koenkai will be strapped for cash, too.  NSK can announce payroll reductions, but I'll bet there's not much blood to squeeze out of the heyas, where 90% of the employees aren't paid but still eat a horse apiece.  Do you send rikishi back home to get part-time jobs until things brighten up?  Impossible.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

And that , my friend, just goes to show that you are basing your theories on nutcases with an agenda. There will always be conspiracy theories and extreme views. Excellent examples on what not to rely on. The top prof (not a doctor)  is one person saying what he thinks, and immediately being refuted by a doctor in the same article. I tend to believe the doctor.

The second article is based on Professor Lass rambling as he does every day on TV where he is interviewed mostly as comic relief. To each his own. It all comes down to economy versus public health. Some chose one over the other. I actually believe it's that simple. 

BTW, I thought this was nonsense and that it's overblown at first, but the numbers convinced me otherwise with time. And no one knows if the results would have been the same if life carried on as usual. It's like saying Taihou was better than Hakuhou. We'll never know.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

BTW, I thought this was nonsense and that it's overblown at first, but the numbers convinced me otherwise with time. And no one knows if the results would have been the same if life carried on as usual. It's like saying Taihou was better than Hakuhou. We'll never know.

Speaking of numbers, as of today, 252000 dead reported.  That'd be alarming in itself.  But there are so many more deaths unreported.  The latest case in point: an Ecuadorian official being interviewed said there could be 6700 dead in one hard-hit city.  Many died from home and went straight to a burial site.   The total Ecuadorian death reported to that date was 1500 for the entire country.   But this kind of under-reporting happened and is happening whenever the country's medical system could not keep up with deaths: Wuhan, Italy, Iran, Ecuador, ....  When everything is said and done a year from now, a million people dead from C19 is not out of the question.    Sadly, many nations will lose many more people from ensuing hunger as a direct result of C19.   I feel guilty worrying about the next basho when the tragedy of our lifetime is among us.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

In your opinion. and his of course. The widespread deaths of elderly people who were not quarantined in time are the simple proof of his not knowing what he's talking about. You can bring up endless ramblings of individuals-it doesn't change the facts. 

• Thanks 1