Sign in to follow this  
Kaminariyuki

General Corona Banter

9 hours ago, robnplunder said:

If the May basho is to go on against all odds, it will be held in Tokyo where the virus is most widespread.    There is one prefecture  (Iwate?) left in Japan where there are no COVID 19 infection.   Perhaps, the next basho should be held there.  ;-)

and bring in a bunch of fans to spread covid locally.  It is not fair for Iwate to stand alone.

1 hour ago, Morty said:

Personally I don't think we'll see another basho until there is a vaccine available. That could be as early as September or not until next year. 

All the medical experts are saying a properly tested vaccine takes at least 18 months.   China is going all out to prove them wrong based on their self announcements.    Even if they can get to a marketable vaccine first, would any country trust it after their faulty test kit debacle?    I think (and hope) not.   Fortunately, there are a lot of nations working on the vaccine and we may see it sometime next year.   

Some good news on Japan's front.   Social distancing and non-essential store closing seem to have started in earnest.  If this continues, things will start to improve in 2 - 3 weeks but not until then.   No basho in May for sure.    When Hakuho starts to practice, I will believe the basho may start. 

6 hours ago, robnplunder said:

All the medical experts are saying a properly tested vaccine takes at least 18 months.   China is going all out to prove them wrong based on their self announcements.    Even if they can get to a marketable vaccine first, would any country trust it after their faulty test kit debacle?    I think (and hope) not.   Fortunately, there are a lot of nations working on the vaccine and we may see it sometime next year.   

Some good news on Japan's front.   Social distancing and non-essential store closing seem to have started in earnest.  If this continues, things will start to improve in 2 - 3 weeks but not until then.   No basho in May for sure.    When Hakuho starts to practice, I will believe the basho may start. 

China loves to go on about its “China speed” but that’s just a propaganda euphemism for “We don’t have any proper checks and balances. Look at how easy is to get things done when there’s no oversight and no mechanism to stop us.”

• Like 2

The 12 person meeting in Japan is now cancelled as 3 have the virus. Since the 3 are in the same bu, if they all stay home no work would get done, so one continues to come in.

Also my coworker in NYC has passed.  She was super intelligent, a lot of contribution to the literature in her field. Not even 50 yet... Middle school kids...:-(

• Sad 8

10 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Yeah. I don't trust vaccines at all, much less chinese ones. Efficient treatment methods with existing drugs should be enough to deal with this disease and lower mortality rates. Also these should come much sooner than vaccines or something would be fishy. 

BTW does at least Tokyo tests post-mortem or doesn't? 

If it does then Japan is still doing good. If not, then Amaterasu have mercy on us.

11 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

China loves to go on about its “China speed” but that’s just a propaganda euphemism for “We don’t have any proper checks and balances. Look at how easy is to get things done when there’s no oversight and no mechanism to stop us.”

Well, frankly those "checks" needed to fly out of the window in the rest of the world too the moment this has gone to a global pandemic stage cause everyone is in the dark on treatments. I'd say having less oversight is a good thing now.

10 minutes ago, Genjurooo said:

BTW does at least Tokyo tests post-mortem or doesn't? 

If it does then Japan is still doing good. If not, then Amaterasu have mercy on us.

No.  There was a TV program discussing this very topic and they found Tokyo does not test for COVID 19 for those people who died of pneumonia.  How many of them died of COVID 19 is unknown.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Genjurooo said:

Well, frankly those "checks" needed to fly out of the window in the rest of the world too the moment this has gone to a global pandemic stage cause everyone is in the dark on treatments. I'd say having less oversight is a good thing now.

That’s the action bias at work, I’m afraid. i.e. The belief that doing something is better than waiting. Sometimes you have to start slow to ensure you don’t waste time down the road. What good has it done producing faulty products only to have to recall and replace them? A couple of extra days having someone check quality and ensuring only factories with the necessary expertise were producing goods would have saved time, money and, I dare say, lives.

The UK was able to expedite production on ventilators while still ensuring they were checked and certified for production. It took about a week, but I’ve no doubt that extra week will have saved lost time later. And it has existing high standards anyway. The UK’s default quality level is probably higher than China’s. China just had factories of all stripes churn out products like masks and test kits. Now they’re finding a number of those companies had no idea what they were doing. That’s embarrassing for China and potentially dangerous for the end user.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

China has a history of faulty vaccines.  Even if they create the COVID 19 vaccine before others, I'd wait.  

Japan expanded the state of emergency to the entire nation today.   Meanwhile, there is no change in NSK's approach to the May basho.  

The state of emergency isn't likely to end on 5/6.  No way, no how.   Japan has reported 570+ new cases today  The good news is that there are now concrete movements to expand the testing, and (gasp) relaxing test qualification process.   The actual implementation may happen in the coming weeks.   Another good news is that many stores and shops are closed and people movements are reduced by 2/3rd.  It will have positive impact in a few weeks.  I sure hope the summer basho will happen but it isn't looking good.

Posted (edited)

The Profeesional Golfers Association is the first major sports group to announce the return of "normal"s scheduling--sort of. Beginning on June 11th, four connsecutive tournaments will be played, all without attendance by fans. After those four, determinations will be made concering future tournaments. 

Golf is the ideal sport to return to normalcy. The area of play is huge and players can keep a safe distance away from each other. Compared to sumo and other sports where the athletes are in contact with each other before large crowds of people seated close together, this seems like a very wise and safe decision.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/pga-tour-schedule-season-to-return-in-june-with-no-fans-at-first-four-events-six-majors-in-2020-21/

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, sekitori said:

The Profeesional Golfers Association is the first major sports group to announce the return of "normal"s scheduling--sort of. Beginning on June 11th, four connsecutive tournaments will be played, all without attendance by fans. After those four, determinations will be made concering future tournaments. 

Golf is the ideal sport to return to normalcy. The area of play is huge and players can keep a safe distance away from each other. Compared to sumo and other sports where the athletes are in contact with each other before large crowds of people seated close together, this seems like a very wise and safe decision.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/pga-tour-schedule-season-to-return-in-june-with-no-fans-at-first-four-events-six-majors-in-2020-21/

Can bowling be far behind?

I personally don't consider either of these sports, but that's just me. They are widely regarded as sports, but it's always seemed a bit of a stretch to me. Like darts, aren't they really just games that happen to take strength, poise, etc.? In my view one should have to at least exert oneself and break a sweat for something to be a true sport.

12 minutes ago, Kaminariyuki said:

I personally don't consider either of these sports, but that's just me. They are widely regarded as sports, but it's always seemed a bit of a stretch to me. Like darts, aren't they really just games that happen to take strength, poise, etc.? In my view one should have to at least exert oneself and break a sweat for something to be a true sport.

Someone I know has never played 36 holes in the Southern U.S.(Noddingyes...)

1 hour ago, Kaminariyuki said:

Probably not.  For one, it is an indoor sport and the bowlers play close together.   

I think most non-contact outdoor sports can be played with a lot of care.   Sumo isn't one of them.   

On 17/04/2020 at 15:52, Kaminariyuki said:

I guess my take on the whole thing can be summed up from a piece of a (US) commercial featuring a rapid-fire recounting of a woman's bad first dates, one of which was:

Her: Is darts a real sport?

Him: (pointing at his shirt) Is that a real sponsor?

Ditto for "e-sports".  I'm not going to loudly declare that they are sports, but if people are tuning in to watch and companies think it's worth their money to sponsor participants and advertise to the viewers, (shrug) I'm not going to argue that they're not.

Posted (edited)

@I am the Yokozuna

Good points.   As I have mentioned earlier, one of the reasons why we may not see sumo for a while is  that Japanese culture and political climate get in the way of fighting COVID 19 effectively.  You listed a few of those.   Look how long it took for (only) a few prefectures to adopt Drive Thru testing.   And despite Abe's announcement of 20000 test per day, Japan still has not changed their test qualification process.  What good is it to increase the test capacity when it is so hard to qualify for it?   And don't even mention the lack of testing going on on weekends.  C19 does not stop spreading during weekend.   Why Japan can't hire/train volunteers to fully staff testers for weekends?    

Today, Japan reported 25 deaths from C19, their largest daily tally.  It has been going up fast. More alarmingly, there have been cases where dead were tested and found to have C9 virus.  Yesterday, one passed out on a street and died soon after.  He was tested for C19 b/c he had suspicious symptoms.   There are now 11 cases where dead people were found to be infected with C19.   I'd guess there were quite a few more that didn't end up in the stat.   

I still think Japan won't be as bad as New York but it will be a very long time before Japan gets a handle on C19.   It is not in Japan's current DNA to move quickly against the beast.   Sumo in summer is very iffy at best.   

Edited by robnplunder

12 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Inability to taste or smell are symptoms limited to COVID 19.  

That's not true, a lot of diseases can cause a loss of taste or smell. It's not so well known but hyposmia is actually a rather common symptom with various viral diseases, allergies and all kinds of dementia. (That's meant as a general remark, of course at the moment you should be tested for COVID 19 in case you experience it).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flohru said:

That's not true, a lot of diseases can cause a loss of taste or smell. It's not so well known but hyposmia is actually a rather common symptom with various viral diseases, allergies and all kinds of dementia. (That's meant as a general remark, of course at the moment you should be tested for COVID 19 in case you experience it).

Thanks for the correction.    I am sure there are other diseases cause such symptoms.

At this time and given the article's context, it is most likely that they are suffering from  C19 symptoms.  

Something odd about Japan's C19 situation ... is it just me or are there proportionally a lot more celebrities being tested positive for the virus? 

16 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Another person down. Shibatayama Oyakata has admitted that another person has maybe been infected at a heya. "I have no idea if it's a rikishi or more or one of the attached people, but we have someone ill.. I don't know if it's Corona or not at this point so I can't answer to that. Corona or just a fever or what.. I have instructed all heya to notify me when someone has the symptoms of fatigue or fever or a cough or the loss of sense of taste or smell, so there's a chance he might have the virus.." summed Shibatayama, in his traditionally murky fashion.

"Or maybe it's a passerby, and it could be gout or maybe the grippe.  You know, when I was a kid in Hokkaido, this fisherman ... well, he sold fish, anyway ... used to have the sniffles all the time, and then one day he was dead ... well, I think his wife shot him, but, you know ... "

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The NSK still won't give up on the Natsu basho. Shibt. announced today that they will hear the opinions of the experts working for the NSK on the problem (of how to have a basho) and then decide. http://www.daily.co.jp/general/2020/04/26/0013299768.shtml

If NSK really want to hold the May Basho, they should hire "experts" from Sweden.  (Sigh...)    

Some good news.  Japan reported only 210 new cases today, their least in many days.  This may be due to the less number of tests being done going into the long holiday weekend.    Still, the downward trend was there even before today.   The other good news is that by and large, Japanese people seem to be staying put instead of traveling.  If they stay home for the next 10 days during the golden week break, we may  just have Nagoya Basho albeit on TV only.  That's the optimist in me saying.   Don't ask the pessimist in me.  

(Things to avoid during shelter in place - don't piss off your spouse, don't beat the dogs, don't go mental on tweeter, ...)

Edited by robnplunder
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sasanishiki said:

You are thinking as a New Zealander. Not applicable with TIJ or Ware ware nihonjin wa mentality. 

Edited by I am the Yokozuna

On 27/04/2020 at 12:52, robnplunder said:

More immediately, although vast majority of people are staying home in the two week long holiday break (aka Golden Week), tens of thousands of people are  still traveling.   For instance, 60000 people are slated to visit Okinawa during the GW.   The Okinawa's government official is pleading them to cancel the visit.  That's just one prefecture.    Probably, hundreds of thousands will be traveling all over Japan.   What would be the impact of the GW in 2 weeks?  IMHO,  how Japan and its people do in the GW break will decide if we will have a Nagoya Basho or not.    

I share your concerns over Golden Week travel (although I think business-as-usual Nagoya is out of the question even if everybody stays home). The problem is it's easy for people to fool themselves when they really want something, such as traveling someplace for Golden Week. A lot of people are gonna be thinking things like "it's all overblown" or "it's not very bad in Japan yet" or "we'll wear masks and be careful so we'll be OK". This is obviously not just Japan, but everywhere. We've been through this time and again elsewhere in the world.

And it's not like I can't understand people. I was planning on being in Tokyo this summer to study Japanese again (4th time!) I haven't been on vacation in over two years, so I'm really bummed out about not being able to go, but there's just no choice right now.

It's just really sad to see that nearly every government has been dragging their feet over this. Nobody wants to make the unpopular and economically harmful decision to ban movement. To me this has been almost like a laboratory experiment in seeing which politicians are willing to put their own short-term political interests over the lives of people...

6 minutes ago, John Gunning said:

I’ve definitely never written that.

Personally I don’t expect to see ANY sport in 2020.

Isn’t Taiwan’s baseball league still running?

(But who watches that?)

47 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Isn’t Taiwan’s baseball league still running?

(But who watches that?)

I will watch anything.  Right now, I am watching my grass grow in my front yard.

Some EU leagues will start soon.  Korea will have football, golf, baseball leagues open in May but without spectators.   I will be watching those. 

5 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I will watch anything.  Right now, I am watching my grass grow in my front yard.

Some EU leagues will start soon.  Korea will have football, golf, baseball leagues open in May but without spectators.   I will be watching those. 

They were showing replays of old snooker matches on BBC yesterday. I almost succumbed...