Sign in to follow this  
Kaminariyuki

General Corona Banter

Posted (edited)

There are a lot of "cures" for COVID 19 making the round.  Recently, a bunch of people in India drank cow's urine believing it will prevent the virus infection.  Unwisely, I watched a video of a woman drinking it.  Ugh.     There are other more legitimate "cures" popping up every day.    Avigan is being pushed by Japan.  Other countries have dismissed it almost immediately.   Right now, people are grasping at straws.  I sure hope something turns up.  But I ain't drinking any animal urine.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

There are a lot of "cures" for COVID 19 making the round.  Recently, a bunch of people in India drank cow's urine believing it will prevent the virus infection.  Unwisely, I watched a video of a woman drinking it.  Ugh.     There are other more legitimate "cures" popping up every day.    Avigan is being pushed by Japan.  Other countries have dismissed it almost immediately.   Right now, people are grasping at straws.  I sure hope something turns up.  But I ain't drinking any animal urine.

Maybe filling the power water bucket with some chikari-gyūnyō is the way to ward off the virus. 

(On a side note, how satisfying that the word for cow’s urine is so similar to cow’s milk: gyūnyū. Don’t get that wrong when you’re grocery shopping in Japan.)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Genjurooo said:

I don't know when this prescription-only thing started, but it is a fairly recent one. People self-medicated with antibiotics for over half a century. 

Self-medicating with antibiotics as a precautionary measure as you're envisioning it ("have a healthy as possible population") would have been a very, very stupid thing to do even then. Possible != sensible.

No, let's let them progress until they need ventilators so the god almighty ruling over life and death finally decides to give them the precious antibiotic. [/sarcasm] 

Yes, it would be much better to burden already overtaxed hospital personnel with people who stupidly mismedicated themselves out of fear. Not to mention even dumber people who end up contracting/spreading Covid-19 only because they think that taking the antibiotics means they're "safe" now and no longer have to practice social distancing.

I'll bow out at this point so you can have enough time to convince your local government as promised.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

From the World Health Organization:

Are antibiotics effective in preventing and treating the new coronavirus?

"No, antibiotics do not work against viruses, only bacteria.. The new coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is a virus and, therefore, antibiotics should not be used as a means of prevention or treatment. However, if you are hospitalized for the 2019-nCoV, you may receive antibiotics because bacterial co-infection is possible."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Self-medicating with antibiotics as a precautionary measure as you're envisioning it ("have a healthy as possible population") would have been a very, very stupid thing to do even then. Possible != sensible.

Yes, it would be much better to burden already overtaxed hospital personnel with people who stupidly mismedicated themselves out of fear. Not to mention even dumber people who end up contracting/spreading Covid-19 only because they think that taking the antibiotics means they're "safe" now and no longer have to practice social distancing.

I'll bow out at this point so you can have enough time to convince your local government as promised.

1. people commonly used antibiotics even for the cold without any prescription. They were in widespread usage. When I was young every family of my school colleagues had at least one small box in their medicine drawer. 

2.  it can have that side-effect on hospitals, yet at the same time it can have an inverse effect as people who otherwise had landed in the hospital for some other unrelated bacterial affection and ultimately would have got covid in the hospital, instead cured whatever they got with antibiotics by themselves thus not taking the risk of landing in that cesspool. 

8 hours ago, sekitori said:

From the World Health Organization:

Are antibiotics effective in preventing and treating the new coronavirus?

"No, antibiotics do not work against viruses, only bacteria.. The new coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is a virus and, therefore, antibiotics should not be used as a means of prevention or treatment. However, if you are hospitalized for the 2019-nCoV, you may receive antibiotics because bacterial co-infection is possible."

"bacterial co-infection is possible". From testimonies of desperate italian medics, patients who need hospitalization always develop bilateral pneumonia. 

11 hours ago, Otokonoyama said:

Yep, kuriin handu and we will win.

5 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Hot off the press (and a little bit of my editorials):

1) State of Emergency to be declared tomorrow for Tokyo, and other key areas.   A week late but this is a step in the right direction.

2) JSK is still in wait and see mode on the May basho.   They are in denial.  

3) Japan has increased testing capacity to 20000 per day.   They have been woefully under- testing against the announced capacity.  So, what is the point keep increasing the capacity?    My feeling is, they will change the testing qualification process.   If not, it will take much longer to end the outbreak and they know it.   

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ now lists total tests, tests per million by country.   

New cases per day in Spain fell hard. In Italy they fall too but too slow. The japanese are more disciplined so I hope the fall of new cases per day should be steeper few weeks after state of emergency. I also doubt there is a chance in hell for May tournament, but the July one might actually happen.

As for testing, they are working on faster testing through automated tests as do americans and other nations.

8 minutes ago, Genjurooo said:

I also doubt there is a chance in hell for May tournament, but the July one might actually happen.

As for testing, they are working on faster testing through automated tests as do americans and other nations.

If Japan does everything well against COVID 19 from now, July basho can happen.   I will believe it once they start testing people proactively.  Waiting for someone to have 4 days of high fever will not do.  Those people will continue to spread their virus to others (including doctors, nurses) until they are tested positive.   20000 test capacity per day, 1-hour test result finding (less accurate?) won't do much if the test qualification process limits the number of tests.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Hot off the press (and a little bit of my editorials):

1) State of Emergency to be declared tomorrow for Tokyo, and other key areas.   A week late but this is a step in the right direction.

2) JSK is still in wait and see mode on the May basho.   They are in denial.  

3) Japan has increased testing capacity to 20000 per day.   They have been woefully under- testing against the announced capacity.  So, what is the point keep increasing the capacity?    My feeling is, they will change the testing qualification process.   If not, it will take much longer to end the outbreak and they know it.   

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ now lists total tests, tests per million by country.   

Yes, massive testing is key to getting this under control and in regaining any semblance of normalcy before a vaccine is deployed. That is likely to be 18 to 24 months minimum, and could easily be longer.

Some very interesting and disturbing tidbits about this virus are coming to light through US sources now that it's on the ground here in a big way. I doubt that we'll have another basho until they're able to test all participants shortly before it starts.

Hmm, a whole 12 hours with no posts added to this thread... 

50 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Hmm, a whole 12 hours with no posts added to this thread... 

You goad me into posting an update.   Tokyo just reported 144 new infections, its highest daily tally yet.   Streets are definitely emptier which is good.   It will have  meaningful impact which will show up in several weeks.   Until then, the numbers will continue to go up.  I predict Japan will report over 400 new cases for today, breaking the daily record again.   

Posted (edited)

Although early on there were many naysayers and some still think that their countries have over-reacted on the economic front, I think most folks see what a game changer this virus is. It's quite contagious, makes many folks seriously ill and kills a significant percentage of the infected (better numbers coming in all the time). The Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem just closed for the first time since the Black Plague in the 1300s. Not that that's a sumo benchmark, but we're culturally on a similar time scale.

As robnplunder has been saying, without widespread over-testing it's going to be very difficult to get this thing completely under control. I hold scant hope for even a closed-door summer basho. Blast...

Edited by Kaminariyuki
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, sekitori said:

The chances of this situation happening again in May are remote at best. Sooner or later, someone related to sumo will test positive for the virus.They may not actually be ill, but even with a state of emergency no longer in effect, that fact alone will be enough to cancel the basho. I believe the same situation will be true for Nagoya as well. With luck, the Aki basho could possibly be held, with or without audience participation. I believe the best chance of watching a "normal" basho again will be in Fukuoka in November. 

I think this is spot on.  Based on my observation, it will take a very long time for Japan to put this virus under control.   "Please stay home" is not a short term strategy.     :-(

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

The best hope for the honbasho is that everyone gets infected now and then there’s no danger of infection then. 

(@Eikokurai - Did you recover from fever?)

Kidding aside, I now believe Japan is heading to where Italy have went.     I hope I am wrong on this like  51% of my sumo predictions but Japan has too many things going wrong at this point: inept leadership, terrible strategy, culture (just not the right fit for fighting COVID 19), and just too late.  The virus is already gone where only the draconian measures will tame.   Shelter in place anyone?

Edited by robnplunder

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, yorikiried by fate said:

Wowowow. A virus sprawl among rikishi shouldn't really trigger speculation on who would benefit. Sure, most of them are young athletes and as such maybe not in the primary risk group. At the same time, though, there are not only a few diabetics, guys with f*cked up livers etc. Not to mention that they tend to be fat, which *is* a risk factor. If it comes to the worst, we will see rikishi die, so Tochinoshin's knees shouldn't really be the focus IMHO.

Your sentiment is understandable, but this is a sumo forum and this a thread on corona and sumo, so naturally talk will focus on the impact of corona on sumo as a whole. There are plenty of places on the web where people can and are expressing more normal concerns about the impact on health and life. If sumo fans can’t distract themselves from the more morbid features of this outbreak with idle chat about sumo, where can they? Ordinary life does go on. As someone who has already spent 2+ months under strict social distancing I can attest to that. People need and will find diversions.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Katsunorifuji said:

Likewise on my post. Apologies if anyone took offense or thought I was making light of the situation. As I mentioned in my initial post, health and safety are the most important things for the rikishi and all people in general. 

No need for the apologies in my opinion. You’re a sumo fan on a sumo forum discussing sumo. This is exactly the place to think aloud about the wider impact of basho cancellations, be they financial for the kyokai or the fringe health benefits to the rikishi. As long as the talk remains respectful, and it has been, I see no harm in anything you’ve said. God knows, I’ve been coming here daily for distractions. I sat and watched 15 days of the Haru basho while isolating at home and fearful for my family’s health. I don’t recall anyone saying sumo was too trivial to be discussed when people in China were literally dying, as opposed to potentially dying.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@ryafuji & @Katsunorifuji

+1 on what Eikokurai posted above. 

Trying to find a bright side to what is a dire world-wide situation is the right thing to do (and bugger anyone who takes offence).

Never has the sentiment expressed herein been more relevant:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

@ryafuji & @Katsunorifuji

+1 on what Eikokurai posted above. 

Trying to find a bright side to what is a dire world-wide situation is the right thing to do (and bugger anyone who takes offence).

Never has the sentiment expressed herein been more relevant:

Hear hear!

Posted (edited)

Some song to lighten up our mood during this pandemic

Gen Hoshino released one short song on youtube called Uchide Odorou (Dancing on the Inside)

This song lyrics has been translated in many languague

As reported on billboard website

Singer-songwriter Gen Hoshino uploaded a video of himself on Instagram performing a song called "Uchide Odorou / Dancing on the Inside," which he wrote to encourage fans to stay home to help prevent the spread of coronavirus. The "Idea" artist invited people to upload their own collaborations with the song, resulting in other stars from various genres including Daichi Miura, Mitsuki Takahata, Yuriko Ishida, Taiiku Okazaki, Yo Oizumi and more joining in on the remotely coordinated fun.

Hoshino's "Dancing on the Inside" project went viral on social media and shot to No. 2 on Twitter this week. The track debuts at No. 21 on the Japan Hot 100 and maintains enough momentum to continue rising in the coming weeks.

Also, funny video Takadabear posted their cover

Edited by code_number3

Have not you learned something in the last 4.5 months? Contact persons, where have you been, when etc are the first things to establish by respective authorities. 

The fact the no journalist ever thought to ask is just........ 

And you asking me why I need to know is also mind boggling. The five ws, I guess. Before posting I checked the Twittering Japanese - the same, no questions by anyone, just posting the same message . 

There are apps in China showing you if you could walk in a place  where an infected or recovered person lives or is. 

This is a serious staff.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, I am the Yokozuna said:

Have not you learned something in the last 4.5 months? Contact persons, where have you been, when etc are the first things to establish by respective authorities. 

And you asking me why I need to know is also mind boggling. The five ws, I guess. Before posting I checked the Twittering Japanese - the same, no questions by anyone, just posting the same message . 

There are apps in China showing you if you could walk in a place  where an infected or recovered person lives or is. 

This is a serious staff.

The app used by Korea displays where an infected person (without the name and other personal info) has been.  An alert goes out to people in the vicinity so that they can avoid the places.   Other countries have adopted similar practices.  But I am afraid Japan does not have the will to do this.  It is not in their DNA.  

It is reported that the stable in question has about 10 rikishi.   That narrows it down.  (Sigh...)

Edited by robnplunder

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, I am the Yokozuna said:

I didn't realize that journalists now constitute the "respective authorities" that are meant to be in charge of tracing transmission chains.

(Also, just because they're not telling You, Concerned Citizen, doesn't necessarily mean the beat writers don't know which stable it is.)

I trust you're busy contacting your local journalists to tell you all about every single Covid-19 case in your city of residence.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 3

If the May basho is to go on against all odds, it will be held in Tokyo where the virus is most widespread.    There is one prefecture  (Iwate?) left in Japan where there are no COVID 19 infection.   Perhaps, the next basho should be held there.  ;-)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, robnplunder said:

If the May basho is to go on against all odds, it will be held in Tokyo where the virus is most widespread.    There is one prefecture  (Iwate?) left in Japan where there are no COVID 19 infection.   Perhaps, the next basho should be held there.  ;-)

LOL, normally Iwate would be overjoyed, beyond belief, to have such an opportunity.

Now, I suspect they might respectfully decline. Chotto...