Asashosakari

Banzuke for Natsu(?) 2020

The July basho, if held in Tokyo, might be called Natsu basho. Since this banzuke is for Natsu, there would be no need to change...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Nantonoyama said:

The July basho, if held in Tokyo, might be called Natsu basho. Since this banzuke is for Natsu, there would be no need to change...

I'm guessing we'll simply see it called "July Basho" in English, in Japanese it'll just be 七月場所 shichigatsu basho as always. None of the "common" names (Hatsu, Haru...) are official, after all.

As for whether they'll bother to print a new banzuke, I kind of doubt it. (Might as well toss a coin on that question though...) I'm fairly sure they won't revise the actual ranking for anything, however, just carry it over as is.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

So at least Sokokurai and Toyonoshima still on July’s Banzuke? And will a “new” banzuke released on June?

19 hours ago, Nantonoyama said:

This is good for the gyoji, who will be able to rest and recuperate before writing up the next banzuke sheet.(Noddingyes...)

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

As for whether they'll bother to print a new banzuke, I kind of doubt it. (Might as well toss a coin on that question though...) I'm fairly sure they won't revise the actual ranking for anything, however, just carry it over as is.

I agree that they're unlikely to revise the ranking until the rikishi have fought again. However, according to Chris Gould's video I linked above, part of the Banzuke is the declaration that the NSK has obtained a permit to hold the basho, and the announcement of the venue and the dates on which it will be held. If the date's changed, the senior gyoji may find his time occupied yet again...

In 2011 with the Haru/Natsu basho banzuke, the cancellation was before the banzuke announcement, likely early enough to have the gyoji not yet written the date and place on it - so no double work was needed. This time the 2 weeks delayed date is written on the banzuke, which has been printed already.

(from last page, posted by John Gunning):

EWkmY8gUEAAvT28.jpg:large

The gyoji surely has to write the whole thing again

Last time, the day after the cancellation was announced, Feb. 7th 2011 the ita-banzuke in front of the kokugikan was put down.

b_13319980.jpgo

this May the kokugikan will continue to look like this - dohyo kept underground

202005030000615-w200_0.jpgo

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 01:48, code_number3 said:

So at least Sokokurai and Toyonoshima still on July’s Banzuke? And will a “new” banzuke released on June?

Sokokurai's retirement was announced March 26 - it would be surreal if he was still listed as a rikishi in July.

18 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

And what will they do with Shobushi?

Is it really of any consequence what they do with the missing rikishi on the banzuke?? The scheduling will be the same no matter how many defunct low rankers appear.

Posted (edited)

The Kyokai site does not have a banzuke release date for the July basho.  Has it been confirmed that the banzuke released for Natsu will be the one used for July?  Is there any indication what name they will assign to the former Nagoya basho?

Edited by Asojima

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Asojima said:

The Kyokai site does not have a banzuke release date for the July basho.  Has it been confirmed that the banzuke released for Natsu will be the one used for July?  Is there any indication what name they will assign to the former Nagoya basho?

The name according to the banzuke is just the month: January basho, March basho May basho, July basho ...

On 10/06/2020 at 10:44, Kintamayama said:

It's official- the Natsu banzuke will be the July banzuke. Thank you.

only the picture banzuke shows it as -basho: Hatsu -, Haru -, Natsu -, this time July basho (last year Nagoya -), Aki - , Kyushu

On 26/06/2020 at 17:33, Akinomaki said:

The banzuke for the July basho is still the same, but the picture banzuke is a bit different, not just a new date, new colors

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1