mt fuji

Toyonoshima intai

The NSK posted a digest of the 18 years of Toyonoshima's career

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Today at the toshiyori general meeting, Toyonoshima had his first day of work as Izutsu-oyakata, first time with the new suit, from Osaka: "The feeling of wearing it is ... not really good." "Yeah, good is a kimono." http://hochi.news/articles/20200713-OHT1T50331.html

20200713-OHT1I50320-L.jpg

On the 11th he was on TBS Birth-Day http://www.tbs.co.jp/birth-day/onair/20200711.html

20200711s00041000154000p_thum.jpgo

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I hadn't really thought about it, but these guys enter the heya at fifteen and wear a yukata out in the world and old baggy shorts 'n' shirts in the heya.  Then they have to wear a western suit when they're ~33; what a culture shock.

• Like 1

I know right? When it came out Goeidou had to be taught how to tie a tie by his oyakata I caught some feels.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I know a few adults who don't know how to tie a tie. Not just an ex-rikishi problem!

Edited by ryafuji
  • Like 1

Are ties not part of school uniform for boys? I have that Gogo Yubari mental image of plaid skirt, dark blazer, white blouse and tie for girls, but nothing for boys...

On 13/07/2020 at 11:39, Yamanashi said:

I hadn't really thought about it, but these guys enter the heya at fifteen and wear a yukata out in the world and old baggy shorts 'n' shirts in the heya.  Then they have to wear a western suit when they're ~33; what a culture shock.

they usually look sharp in a suit.  i found that the hardest part is that they have no clue on how to put on a tie. ;-)

• Like 1