Sign in to follow this  
Katsunorifuji

Yumitori-shiki Closing Ceremony

Every day after the final match there is a closing ceremony in which a rikishi using a bow performs a ritual in the dohyo. The yumitori-shiki.

Its something that I admit I never paid too much attention to, but usually would catch part of while watching the days bouts recap. One thing I have noticed is that it appears that there was a recent change in who performs the ceremony. For quite some time (several years?)it appeared the same rikishi would do this so I always assumed it was done by someone as their primary sumo job. But after reading an article and an older post (links below) it seems that this is a rotating job. 

What struck me as odd is that it seems the person who normally does this is from makushita. Odd because given that I thought we would see more turnover in the position. Does anyone know the name of the person who did the ceremony prior the current person? 

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2019/03/20/sumo/bow-twirling-ceremony/#.Xo0QfhZq2Ec

Posted (edited)

Recent news on this are in

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

Recent news on this are in

Thanks, I missed this during my search. Interesting stuff, it’s an easy to overlook part of the basho but good to know some of the background so I can appreciate it more. 

• Like 1