What is the status of Sumo Reference - is @Doitsuyama still maintaining it? I sent him a PM but I don't think he is very active in the forum anymore.

After being away from the online sumo community for quite a long while, over the last couple of weeks I have spent some time trying to catch up a little. For that, Sumo Reference is an invaluable resource as I am sure many of you agree. If I am not mistaken, Sumo Reference is *the* reference for sumo results. Practically every Wikipedia page on sumo seems to link to it.

From what I understand from browsing this forum and the Internet Archive (please fill me in), the site was originally launched by Doitsuyama in 2007 at sumodb.sumogames.com. At some point in time (2012?) it was moved to its current address. The site looks remarkably similar to what it did in 2007.

In case someone wonders why I care about this: here is an early incarnation of a different but similar site called hakkeyoi.net... I am not sure how it happened, but it feels like watching the small seed that I planted 17 years ago having become this big oak tree. Amazing.

@Doitsuyama, if you are reading this: I feel incredibly honoured to have inspired the design of Sumo Reference. But I would also like to see the site evolve. Browsing the site today, I get lots of ideas for improvements. I have also noticed that although the site is clearly maintained, there are intermittent technical problems. If I can get involved in the evolution and maintenance of the site, I would like to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back on the forum! Yes, I'm still maintaining Sumo Reference. Actually it wasn't really based on your seed as work on it started long before that but obviously the design got influenced a lot by this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Doitsuyama said:

Welcome back on the forum! Yes, I'm still maintaining Sumo Reference. Actually it wasn't really based on your seed as work on it started long before that but obviously the design got influenced a lot by this.

Fair enough. :) Yes, I remember that you were way ahead with collecting data back then, and I got a lot of data from you to hakkeyoi.net. Glad to have been an influence!

Edit: typo.

Edited by Kashunowaka
  • Like 1

I like that you added the old "scgroup" type matrix when he quit doing that.  I really like that feature.  :)

On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 02:44, Doitsuyama said:

I too have been looking at the Sumo Reference as a way to get back in touch with what has been happening since I stopped regularly following ozumo. I sent a message via the Sumo Reference site a couple of weeks ago, but not sure it got through, so I'll use this opportunity to ask @Doitsuyama if it is possible to have the information about university background as a searchable function to discover rikishi? The information is there in each profile, just not a way to filter rikishi. I thought it would be great if you could find all the Nittaidai alumni or those from Ritsumeikan, etc.

• Like 1