Sign in to follow this  
Gaijingai

How Baseball Became the National Sport

Thanks for posting this, it was a good read. Even as baseball loses popularity in the US it’s interesting to see the culture Japan has built around it. Football (American) and basketball have really pulled fans away over the years and I wonder if we’ll see soccer and other faster paced sports do the same in Japan. 

Might be interesting, what with sports shut down for the time being, who opens first and if that draws fans away from their old favorite sports. I know plenty of Americans who might watch soccer (football if it's a European league) just to have something new to watch. The TV networks have been rebroadcasting old games on the weekends. They started with historically relevant ones, but now they are airing some pretty random games, usually from the '80s.

I read an article on this topic two years ago, in some scientific journal, but I seem I cannot find it, but was really thoroughly researched and it was very detailed, if anyone has seen/read it, it would be great to share some info.