7 retirements have been announced, no former sekitori among them:

Wakaichiro (Musashigawa) - linklink
Kasugamine (Nakagawa)
Teruju (Isegahama)
Kotonoshima (Sadogatake)
Bariki (Shikoroyama)
Tetsubisho (Shikoroyama)
Fukunofuji (Isegahama) banzuke-gai

I think we're all breathing a sigh of relief that Bariki isn't going to struggle on.

Fukunofuji is a decently talented 21-year-old who progressed to mid-sandanme smoothly three years ago before hitting the wall there, and has been MIA for close to a year now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

So Sokokurai is not retiring? That's unexpected.

Arashio-oyakata doesn't turn 65 until Sunday, they might be waiting for that.

• Like 1

No Toyonoshima ? When he didn't retire after the make-koshi I had a hunch he would go on which, was  renewed when nothing came out on senshuraku. But for how long ?

Also Sagatsukasa will head back to Sandanme in 15 years.

I wasn't sure what kind of intai list to expect this time - families wouldn't be able to come and cheer on the retiring rikishi or hand over flowers in the hanamichi, and most heya cancelled or dramatically scaled down their senshuraku parties.

So I found only a single picture - Bariki with his first and last oichomage, listening to a speech from Shikoroyama-oyakata (former Sekiwake Terao) ahead of his danpatsu-shiki. Only heya members and a few invited connections took part.

HsI1Gjm4_o.jpg

Osaka native Kasugamine retires at his home basho after a 20-year career, in which he was ever-present for 833 consecutive bouts. His danpatsu-shiki took place at Fushio Kaku onsen in Ikeda, where Nakagawa-beya had their lodgings for the basho. If any pictures emerge I'll add them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ll admit that I haven’t always followed post basho news that closely, especially regards to timing, but when do most retirements get announced? Is what we have now all we should expect or should we expect another wave closer to the May tournament? 

26 minutes ago, Katsunorifuji said:

I’ll admit that I haven’t always followed post basho news that closely, especially regards to timing, but when do most retirements get announced? Is what we have now all we should expect or should we expect another wave closer to the May tournament? 

They get announced right after the basho. Think the main reason is for banzuke making purpose as this is completed on the wednesday after the basho. If someone retires after, they will still appear on the banzuke of the next basho, so technically are not retired yet (although in fact they are).

Only if a rikishi is forced to retire by some unexpected reason, you will see another anouncement before the next basho.

20 hours ago, shumitto said:

Also Sagatsukasa will head back to Sandanme in 15 years.

Sagatsukasa has been stuck on 29 basho as a sekitori since 2014 and the magic number is 30. I wonder if he's been soldiering on in the increasingly forlorn hope of getting one last juryo promotion.

Sokokurai intai, hot off the press.  I wish him luck.  

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 03:15, Tigerboy1966 said:

Sagatsukasa has been stuck on 29 basho as a sekitori since 2014 and the magic number is 30. I wonder if he's been soldiering on in the increasingly forlorn hope of getting one last juryo promotion.

Well the "magic number" is sometimes less than that - see the Hochiyama rule.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

The Kyokai site has at last caught up with Sokokurai being the new Arashio... (...)

And they've also finally listed his intai now, backdated to March 26th (unsurprisingly). Be interesting to see if they omitted him from the Natsu banzuke; surely they already knew of his retirement on the 25th when the banzuke was drawn up, even if his Arashio takeover was only acknowledged the next day.

4 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

And they've also finally listed his intai now, backdated to March 26th (unsurprisingly). Be interesting to see if they omitted him from the Natsu banzuke; surely they already knew of his retirement on the 25th when the banzuke was drawn up, even if his Arashio takeover was only acknowledged the next day.

Although it was obvious and they probably knew, I still think he will be ranked at ms41e on the next banzuke. It is public knowledge that the committee meets on the Wednesday, so if Sokokurai is not ranked, it would mean that he would no longer be in the kyokai this particular day. If I were in this situation, it is a loophole I'd like to avoid to prevent future people from taking somehow advantage of it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Nantonoyama said:

Although it was obvious and they probably knew, I still think he will be ranked at ms41e on the next banzuke. It is public knowledge that the committee meets on the Wednesday, so if Sokokurai is not ranked, it would mean that he would no longer be in the kyokai this particular day. If I were in this situation, it is a loophole I'd like to avoid to prevent future people from taking somehow advantage of it.

Well, no, that's not how it works. The new banzuke only takes effect with its release, and consequently the previous banzuke is in effect until the day before that. That aside, I'm pretty sure the banzuke does not actually govern membership status in the Kyokai, it merely reflects it. (Banzuke-gai rikishi exist, after all...)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

Prior example, with a twist: Hoshiiwato retired more than a week after the end of Hatsu 1991 to become Michinoku-oyakata. He did not feature on the Haru banzuke, although he was clearly included in its post-Hatsu draft, as the published banzuke ended up having only 119 makushita rikishi

So that's a third possible option for what they might have done with Sokokurai, next to listing him or leaving him off directly.

Hmm ok I see your point for the banzuke release date, it makes sense.

This third way with the name erased can be a solution, here they moved everyone up half a rank. I guess it is also linked with the hand-drawn version of the banzuke that the gyoji make after the committee meets.

But in recent history, name erasing is more or less linked with people expelled from the kyokai. Couldn't it been seen as possibly disrespectful?

Posted (edited)

I think this thread is still appropriate: ex-juryo Tokushinho has handed in the retirement papers, he has dropped to sandanme on the new banzuke. The NSK announced today that his retirement is acknowledged. https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2020/06/01/0013387799.shtml

EZaOouzU0AE-9tE.jpg:thumbo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Should it be after Natsu 2020 (even though the basho is cancelled, the banzuke has been released)?

7 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I think this thread is still appropriate: ex-juryo Tokushinho has handed in the retirement papers, he has dropped to sandanme on the new banzuke. The NSK announced today that his retirement is acknowledged.

Some of his bouts can be viewed on this playlist.

• Thanks 1

On 01/06/2020 at 08:44, Akinomaki said:

ex-juryo Tokushinho has handed in the retirement papers, he has dropped to sandanme on the new banzuke. The NSK announced today that his retirement is acknowledged.

According to heya sources, Tokushinho, the first sekitori coming from Asahi university, will have his 2nd career as staff of Asahi university. https://www.chunichi.co.jp/article/66268

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Onomatsu-beya's Ako has retired after a 12-year career. The son of former Maegashira Tachihikari (who also retired after 12 years), Ako began sumo in elementary school and took part in the kids sumo events held by Onomatsu-beya, which is located in his home prefecture Chiba. He joined the heya straight after graduating from junior high school. Danpatsu-shiki took place in the keikoba.

Spoiler

Tennozan entertained with some funny stories about Ako before the danpatsu-shiki began.

6pCUEYDe_o.jpg

Former Juryo Keitenkai makes his cut.

l4pVYNvD_o.jpg

Heyagashira Onosho.

1sygPQYl_o.jpg

Shiranui-oyakata (former Komusubi Wakakoyu).

5BOPOonO_o.jpg

Ako's father, former Maegashira Tachihikari.

xcVak3MO_o.jpg

Onomatsu-oyakata (former Maegashira Daido) makes the final cut.

5n0ETJo6_o.jpg

Ako in his new suit.

eAIFLNa6_o.jpg

An old photo of Ako with stablemate and fellow Chiba native Wakayama, who first met at the Onomatsu kids events.

aAvHENGF_o.jpg

Chiganoura-beya reported that Wakaseiun and Takamasaki have retired - the latter was the final deshi to be recruited by Takanohana.

Minezaki-beya duo Gochozan and Houn are gone from the heya website so they're probably retired as well. 32-year-old Gochozan was a constant Makushita presence for the last seven years until injury struck earlier this year. Houn never managed a kachi-koshi in his 17-basho career, and was the one of the rare victims of Hattorizakura.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

So the Houn era in Ozumo has ended.  A time for reflection ... (Tearsforming...)

I was hoping for a great rivalry at the bottom, a kind of Hakuho Era in jonokuchi. You know. Something that would make the crowd go mild.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 22/06/2020 at 02:36, Churaumi said:

I was hoping for a great rivalry at the bottom, a kind of Hakuho Era in jonokuchi. You know. Something that would make the crowd go mild.

They fought six times against each other. pretty high amount by jonokuchi standards.

Hattorizakura still has fierce rivals kyokushoriki and sawanofuji though.

• Like 1