Akinomaki

New ozeki Asanoyama

8 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

the slur could have been from mainland tourists though

Mainland tourists are only in the mainland tourist areas though. Really strange.

1 hour ago, Tsuchinoninjin said:

Mainland tourists are only in the mainland tourist areas though. Really strange.

It's almost as if he misheard or misunderstood the English ... of course racist hick white folk wouldn't be taunting him in Japanese or Mongolian, would they?(Thinkingindepth...)

6 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

It's almost as if he misheard or misunderstood the English ... of course racist hick white folk wouldn't be taunting him in Japanese or Mongolian, would they?(Thinkingindepth...)

I’ve read that Asashoryu can get by on his English. “Go home” isn’t that advanced and the Japanese for coronavirus is just a katakana pronunciation of the English word. It’s also likely he was traveling with a translator in Hawaii who may have clarified what was said for him.

This article mentions his English ability as of 7-8 years ago (third paragraph): 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesasia/2012/10/24/an-ex-sumo-wrestler-returns-to-mongolia/#d1eb4fe86ee6

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

On 28/03/2020 at 12:50, Akinomaki said:

Asashoryu was pi**ed off in Hawaii, by comments of "Go home, Corona virus people" from white people in Hawaii. He always "Had liked Hawaii", but after this racist slur ... 

It isn't just happening in Hawaii. We have a Japanese friend that works in Spain. She went to Milan, Italy on vacation with an Italian coworker just before the virus got out of control in Italy. She had locals there making rude comments to her because of the virus originating in China. I guess they assumed that she was Chinese. As soon as she got back, her company told her to self quarantine for two weeks.

3 hours ago, Kishinoyama said:

It isn't just happening in Hawaii. We have a Japanese friend that works in Spain. She went to Milan, Italy on vacation with an Italian coworker just before the virus got out of control in Italy. She had locals there making rude comments to her because of the virus originating in China. I guess they assumed that she was Chinese. As soon as she got back, her company told her to self quarantine for two weeks.

Unfortunately foreigners in China are getting a taste of it too now. I've had people swerve to avoid me on the street, get up off their seat if I sit beside them on the subway (or they avoid empty seats near me) and overheard people in shops pointing out my presence as a warning to others. Twitter is full of similar stories to mine. Foreigners being denied entry to malls, banks, etc. They think of the virus as a Western problem now so anyone who looks Western is a potential carrier of the virus, which makes no sense as the border controls are well known. For several weeks now anyone arriving in the country has had to quarantine, so any foreigner seen on the street clearly didn't just arrive and has approval to be out.

As for your friend, are you sure she was asked to quarantine because of her ethnicity and not just because she'd returned from Milan? My British coworkers at our Swiss office had to do the same after a business trip to Milan.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Sad 2

Back to the topic ...  Asanoyama should work hard during the Corona break.  No beers, period.

Yeah, he's hard to recognize there. Odd.

Edited by ryafuji

Maybe he looks even more like the old Edo ozeki now
 sum20033105030001-m1.jpgo 20200331-OYT1I50001-T.jpg?type=mediumo

in the middle, Kaigatake:

E120200326182049.jpg

20200330s00005000520000p_thum.jpgo

today

202003310000437-w200_0.jpgo origin_1.jpgo

talk about the late Ken Shimura

d8250757ed4341bb18f42204c2800a3b-300x450.jpgo   

Exhibition in Toyama city to celebrate the new ozeki

d23f4011-06b8-48b6-b5af-6ee2285be06b.jpgo  535674f7-ed46-4728-ad6a-2ec93d8a0f1e.jpgo 27a6bb54-1717-468c-bfc7-e611733f65d9.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Chris Gould appears to be occupying himself well:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Chris Gould appears to be occupying himself well:

Thank you for the link!

Minor factual error: yes, 8 rikishi have won yusho in their ozeki debut, but Terukuni isn't one of them. A successful ozeki debut does not one yokozuna make, as the very talented but ultimately under-achieving Tochiazuma became well aware of.

I realise that the following observation comes a little late, but despite that, I wanted to share it with fellow Forum members to see whether or not you feel it is significant.  

Of course, there are many considerations in play when deciding whether or not to promote a wrestler to Ozeki status.  The most important of those considerations is the win-total over three straight tournaments and whether or not double-digit win records were maintained throughout.  But as Mainoumi pointed out, there was at least one notable exception to the general unwritten guidelines (i.e., 1966 Kitanofuji).

But I checked the Ozeki runs of the last 25 wrestlers to be promoted to the rank of Champion, and except for one unique exception (see spoiler below), every single one of them defeated a Yokozuna at least once in their respective three qualifying tournaments.  

Asanoyama is the only Ozeki over the last 50 years to have been promoted to Ozeki without a single legitimate Yokozuna upset.  (He did get a fusen win over Kakuryu on the first day of his run, but that is not a show of his Ozeki readiness.)

Spoiler

Takanohana was promoted to Ozeki without a single Yokozuna upset during his September 1992 – January 1993 run, however, over that period, there were no Yokozunas on the banzuke to have tested him.

Spoiler

To Asanoyama's credit, he did get one gold star upset just prior to his Ozeki run (i.e., Autumn 2019).  But not during the "run" proper.

• Like 3

On 31/03/2020 at 18:21, Akinomaki said:

20200330s00005000520000p_thum.jpgo

"Please, kami-sama, don't let me get the new "uirusu", new "Corona", or whatever it's called."  (I guess prayer is the last line of defence...)

Edited by Amamaniac

3 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Takanohana was promoted to Ozeki without a single Yokozuna upset during his September 1992 – January 1993 run, however, over that period, there were no Yokozunas on the banzuke to have tested him.

I think, perhaps, that timeframe is Akebono's run?  Akebono was promoted prior to Takanohana and was promoted, having his Ozeki run entirely after the intai of Asahifuji and Hokutoumi earlier in 1992.  Takanohana was promoted after the November 1994 tournament in which he completed his second consecutive zensho yusho.  The last victory was against Yokozuna Akebono.  He did not fact the yokozuna in the two tournaments prior to that.

5 hours ago, Yangnomazuma said:

I think, perhaps, that timeframe is Akebono's run?  Akebono was promoted prior to Takanohana and was promoted, having his Ozeki run entirely after the intai of Asahifuji and Hokutoumi earlier in 1992.  Takanohana was promoted after the November 1994 tournament in which he completed his second consecutive zensho yusho.  The last victory was against Yokozuna Akebono.  He did not fact the yokozuna in the two tournaments prior to that.

Takanohana's (aka Takahanada's) "Ozeki run" actually overlapped Akebono's "Yokozuna run".  Both men were promoted to their respective higher ranks after the 1993 New Year Tournament, which means that while Takahanada was making his run for Ozeki, Akebono was still an Ozeki himself.  

I was thinking it must've been really impressive that they both pulled such strong numbers at the same time. There was a slight see-saw going on though.

1992 Aki
Akebono 9-6, Takahanada 14-1

1992 Kyushu
Akebono 14-1, Takahanada 10-5

1993 Hatsu
Akebono 13-2, Takahanada 11-4

7 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Takanohana's (aka Takahanada's) "Ozeki run" actually overlapped Akebono's "Yokozuna run".  Both men were promoted to their respective higher ranks after the 1993 New Year Tournament, which means that while Takahanada was making his run for Ozeki, Akebono was still an Ozeki himself.  

And clearly I need to brush up on my reading comprehension.  Ozeki run indeed...

I like Asanoyama’s brand of sumo and wish him the best of luck. He is strong as a bull and from what I have seen, he seems to be a kind person as well. I hope he has a very long and successful career in sumo.