Kaminariyuki

Name it - The Day After...

OK, I've whined about this before, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but now I think it's time to put a name on it. Sumo is awesome, but one of the big let downs is that after 15 consecutive days of sumo, it's cold turkey for six-seven weeks. Brutal. With or without an audience. I think there should be a name for the day after Senshuraku.

What have you folks got?

1 hour ago, Kaminariyuki said:

OK, I've whined about this before, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but now I think it's time to put a name on it. Sumo is awesome, but one of the big let downs is that after 15 consecutive days of sumo, it's cold turkey for six-seven weeks. Brutal. With or without an audience. I think there should be a name for the day after Senshuraku.

What have you folks got?

It's not quite cold turkey -- there's a bit of dust-settling for a day or two after Senshuraku, with final updates getting posted, the YDC deliberating, new Juryo announcements, and so forth. A week or so after, things get really dead, though. I have banzuke day marked in my calendar, and look ahead to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaminariyuki said:

What have you folks got?

I'm sure if I knew Japanese I could find something with plenty of kokoro and jakutai-ka , etc., but I bet our German Forum members can provide one of those great German words that would capture the sad, hollow world stretching from Sensuhuraku to Banzuke day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I'm sure if I knew Japanese I could find something with plenty of kokoro and jakutai-ka , etc., but I bet our German Forum members can provide one of those great German words that would capture the sad, hollow world stretching from Sensuhuraku to Banzuke day.

No need for German, there's a fine English word for it: doldrums

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

I bet our German Forum members can provide one of those great German words that would capture the sad, hollow world stretching from Sensuhuraku to Banzuke day.

You mean something along those lines of Zetigeist, Weltschmerz, and Schadenfreude which made it into international lingo?

How about the nice (and rather unique, I believe) German word "Durststrecke" (the literal tranlsation would be something like a "passage of thirst").

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We may need to invent a new term if Natsu winds up not happening, and Ozumo joins the rest of the sports world in pausing for the duration.

8 hours ago, Randomitsuki said:

You mean something along those lines of Zetigeist, Weltschmerz, and Schadenfreude which made it into international lingo?

How about the nice (and rather unique, I believe) German word "Durststrecke" (the literal tranlsation would be something like a "passage of thirst").

Oooh, that's a good one. But for me personally it's not strong enough. I'd prefer Leidensweg, "path of suffering". 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Randomitsuki said:

I'd thought about something along the lines of "missing the kami," but I'm really missing the sumo...

OK, I think we have a winner, but maybe "passage of thirst" should be translated into Japanese. My beginner Japanese is not up to that task. Any takers? Does that work in Japanese?

Posted (edited)

BTW, Rando's "Durststrecke" is probably the German word in the dictionary that fits best. But - as we surely all know - the true power (aka dread) of the language is the possibility of composing composite nouns to the moon. So let's be poetic and call it "Dickmenschenkollisionsebbe".

Edited by yorikiried by fate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another one that comes to mind is "Sommerloch" (summer hole), which refers to the lack of news during the summer holiday break - in case of Ozumo, we have six honbasho holes. 

Posted (edited)

Personally, I think we should find a poetic JAPANESE word or combo-word rather than German.  Can someone who knows Japanese come up with something?  And since things don't suddenly end after Senshuraku as has been previously mentioned, I think we should come up with a word or combo-word that covers the period BETWEEN Senshuraku AND the next Basho OR Banzuke.  This word or combo-word should reflect a feeling of great sadness or letdown or longing, and could even be funny.  I have just sent an email to a friend of mine in Japan (see below) asking for his help.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Tomoki,

I hope you can help me with something!  Can you please think of a word or a combination word in the Japanese language that would describe what a person feels AFTER Senshuraku but BEFORE the next Basho or Banzuke?  A period of great sadness or letdown or longing.  Even something funny that exaggerates the depressed feelings a person has when they are forced to wait for something they really want. (in this case, the next Basho or at least the next Banzuke).  On Sumo Forum, we are trying to come up with such a word or a combination-word but in the Japanese language.

Thanks!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by sumojoann

One of my friends suggested "THE GREAT SUMO VOID".  Could that be translated into Japanese or are there some great Japanese words for "nothingness" or "emptiness"?  So the word/combo-word could be "Ozumo (plus Japanese word for nothingness or emptiness)".

Here is something I found ---> The word "mu", meaning "not have, without", is a key word in Buddhism, especially Zen traditions.  I don't want to be blasphemous, but what about "MU OZUMO" OR "OZUMO MU"?  I'm sure I'm in over my head!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_(negative)

I received this response from my Japanese friend Tomoki. -----------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the verb “matsu” is the key word. “machi kirenai (pronounce like “much key ray night” is a candidate. It means “can’t wait”. Another one is “machi do shii ( “much doe she”)”, means “have to wait so long”. As a metaphor, I recommend “kubi o nagakusite matsu  “coo be oh nut got coo she te mat two” literally means “ wait with the neck lengthened”. Kubi means neck. It means “looking forward to it so eagerly that one feel like one’ s head would be approaching to it’
Ether expression might not show the feeling to miss what was over.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Is this too many words?  I wrote to another Japanese friend as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Here is something I found ---> The word "mu", meaning "not have, without", is a key word in Buddhism, especially Zen traditions.  I don't want to be blasphemous, but what about "MU OZUMO" OR "OZUMO MU"?  I'm sure I'm in over my head!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_(negative)

The great film director Ozu Yasujiro has that kanji alone on his gravestone.  I understand that, instead of nothing, it means "no thing" (how Zen!)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Personally, I think we should find a poetic JAPANESE word or combo-word rather than German.  Can someone who knows Japanese come up with something?  And since things don't suddenly end after Senshuraku as has been previously mentioned, I think we should come up with a word or combo-word that covers the period BETWEEN Senshuraku AND the next Basho OR Banzuke.  This word or combo-word should reflect a feeling of great sadness or letdown or longing, and could even be funny. 

Many of you are probably aware of the concept mono no aware. It could be roughly described as being both sad and fond of how things change over time.

As you brought up the notion of sadness yourself, I humbly (and in jest) sujest:

Sumono no aware; or

Mono-ii no aware

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Randomitsuki said:

Many of you are probably aware of the concept mono no aware. It could be roughly described as being both sad and fond of how things change over time.

As you brought up the notion of sadness yourself, I humbly (and in jest) sujest:

Sumono no aware; or

Mono-ii no aware

Very clever!!!!  Hahaha!

One big upside of the whole situation for me is the reduced social interaction. Finally Waldeinsamkeit without having to go to the forest.

• Like 1

This is it!!!!  BANZUKE OAZUKE TIME!!  Oazuke is the word that is used to tell a dog to "wait".  Haha!!  This was suggested by Ahokaina, a Japanese woman who is a member of the forum.  We were discussing the matter and I said it would be great to come up with a word that describes the sad longing and impatience one feels between the last basho and either the next basho or the next Banzuke.  But also a word that was funny.  I think it's perfect!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1