rhyen

Hakuho & the Olympics - a dilemma.

Recommended Posts

We all know that Hakuho wants to participate in the 2020 olympics.

we also know that he promised to retire this year in a TV interview earlier in the year.

so what happens if the Olympics gets delayed for a year to 2021.....(Oops!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, rhyen said:

We all know that Hakuho wants to participate in the 2020 olympics.

we also know that he promised to retire this year in a TV interview earlier in the year.

so what happens if the Olympics gets delayed for a year to 2021.....(Oops!)

I suppose he could retire as planned and then come back in 2021 & perform that special Yokozuna Dohyo-Iri ceremony that (I think) retired Yokozuna can do.  I don't know the name of this ceremony but I have seen photos of aging Yokozuna perform it.  The zig-zag things that hang from the tsuna are red, as I recall.

Edited by sumojoann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

I suppose he could retire as planned and then come back in 2021 & perform that special Yokozuna Dohyo-Iri ceremony that (I think) retired Yokozuna can do.  I don't know the name of this ceremony but I have seen photos of aging Yokozuna perform it.  The zig-zag things that hang from the tsuna are red, as I recall.

That is the kanreki dohyo iri and is performed by Yokozuna who make it to sixty, provides they are in good enough physical shape. They won’t let Hakuho do it if he retires, he has a real pickle if they do delay 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he is willing, he can make it to the next year until the Olympics. He is still the best.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He aims for 50, so 6 to go. File the 2020 retirement under old hats.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

He just won a yusho. He could easily coast a year, taking a few basho off here and there like he's done in the past year with no encouragement to retire. Especially if COVID-19 threatens the May basho and beyond. I think the only way he doesn't perform is if it's cancelled all together.

And it looks like postponement discussion is ramping up: 

 

Edited by Tiger Tanaka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Postponement is a very real possibility. Even if Japan is corona-free by July, there may be parts of the world which aren’t and athletes will be flying in from those places which carries a risk of transmission. On top of that, the Olympics isn’t only about the two weeks we see on TV every four years. There are preliminary competitions which athletes and teams must complete to qualify. Those are all on hold right now. Athletes also have training schedules they can’t currently fulfill because either they are isolating or the facilities they use are closed. You don’t want 10,000 unconditioned athletes at the Olympics. I think a delay until the Spring of next year at the earliest is quite likely, though naturally they will delay the decision as long as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is postponement a real option? I thought I had read previously that if the games didn’t go as scheduled they’d just be canceled as a delay wouldn’t be feasible due to other scheduling conflicts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Katsunorifuji said:

Is postponement a real option? I thought I had read previously that if the games didn’t go as scheduled they’d just be canceled as a delay wouldn’t be feasible due to other scheduling conflicts. 

I’ve seen talk of postponement. Frankly, the amount of money that’s been spent I don’t see how they can afford to write it off. Whatever scheduling conflicts there are, surely those competitions are secondary to the Olympics and thus more likely to be sacrificed?

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Katsunorifuji said:

Is postponement a real option? I thought I had read previously that if the games didn’t go as scheduled they’d just be canceled as a delay wouldn’t be feasible due to other scheduling conflicts. 

Those potential conflicts only exist with the pre-planned dates of other events though, which may well not be possible to stick to either. In addition, the Olympics are kind of a life-support program for many individual sports. I don't know if e.g. the IAAF would really insist on holding their next athletics world championships in 2021 as scheduled if it meant there's no income and no public exposure from the Olympics for 8 years.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The other issue to deal with is how the world will be post corona virus. Even if they say everything is okay again I doubt everyone is going to be rushing out to be in large groups of people anywhere for a long time.  Even if everything is safe you can't play to half empty venues, no matter what the form of entertainment, for long.

Athletes, Movie stars, Entertainers in general are going to have to get used to making a lot less money than they used to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Rocks said:

The other issue to deal with is how the world will be post corona virus. Even if they say everything is okay again I doubt everyone is going to be rushing out to be in large groups of people anywhere for a long time.  Even if everything is safe you can't play to half empty venues, no matter what the form of entertainment, for long.

Athletes, Movie stars, Entertainers in general are going to have to get used to making a lot less money than they used to.

That’s a problem that extends far beyond the Olympics. Service industries here in China, which have already suffered from lack of custom over the past two months, are hit the worst. Cinemas aren’t open and few would want to go to them anyway, some restaurants are open but not at full capacity, trains run half empty, and so on. People are getting more confident about being outside, but enough are still cautious about crowds that it’s going to have an impact for a while yet I’m sure. Service industries also can’t recover missed trade. A factory can catch up with production to a certain extent but people don’t suddenly see ten times as many movies or eat more meals to make up for those they’ve missed. That revenue is just gone. It will recover - the “victory” propaganda is starting to work on people, as I said - but I expect at least another month of dipping toes in the water, by which time it may be too late for many service businesses unless they get help. Japan needs to keep an eye on this too. SMEs rely on the Olympics for a boost in trade. If hotels and restaurants don’t get the bookings they anticipated, the no-Olympics economic knock on effect will be much worse than simply throwing away the investments the Japanese government has already made.

Anyway, this might be moving us a little off topic.

Edited by Eikokurai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Delaying the Olympics is certain now.  Even Abe is admitting the inevitability.   Why it took so long is beyond me.     The question now is how long is the delay.  My bet is at least one year.  The virus hasn't reached its peak in EU & North America.   South America and Africa is just starting.   By the time this is over (in late summer?), the global recession would be in full swing and I don't know if some nations can even send a team due to finance hardship.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just hearing on the BBC radio now that Abe has told the Diet the games will likely have to be postponed.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australia, Canada have requested it to be delayed for a year.    

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Australia, Canada have requested it to be delayed for a year.    

Canada is the first nation to pull out of the 2020 Olympics - won't attend unless they are postponed until next year. Australia has made similar statement. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless this Covid, like SARS, disappears after this summer, we'll have to wait for the vaccine to be available to be completely safe. Currently the vaccines have gone into phase-1 in US and China. If successful,  will be available early next year. I think if the Olympic is postponed to July 2021, people will be willing to attend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

What will Hakuho do?

Entertain us a while longer.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/03/2020 at 16:22, WAKATAKE said:

That is the kanreki dohyo iri and is performed by Yokozuna who make it to sixty, provides they are in good enough physical shape.

I believe Isegahama oyakata was scheduled to perform his kanreki dohyo-iri at the end of May. I suppose that will be postponed as well. I couldn't give a stuff about the Olympics but it would have been great to see the old boy become Asahifuji one more time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confirmed then. Olympics cancelled. Guess we’re stuck with Hakuho for another year.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Indeed.

https://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0006444757

Is there any possibility that Hakuho could retire prior to the Tokyo Summer Games 2.0, yet still be eligible to perform the dohyoiri?  For instance, retire after the 2021 New Year Tournament, and wait until September to have his topknot snipped off (danpatsushiki).  That way hw would still have the hair for the job come July.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Is there any possibility that Hakuho could retire prior to the Tokyo Summer Games 2.0, yet still be eligible to perform the dohyoiri?  For instance, retire after the 2021 New Year Tournament, and wait until September to have his topknot snipped off (danpatsushiki).  That way hw would still have the hair for the job come July.

Afaik, there is no dohyo-iri planned, only a run with the torch. And I am pretty sure he will do it even if retired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'd be surprised if there weren't at least some cancelled bashos in store for the near future, which would extend Hakuho's career chronologically without causing more wear and tear on his body. Nothing obviously has been announced, but getting Natsu to happen is going to be extremely difficult, and we may be in for a lengthy pause.

Hakuho has said that he planned to retire in 2020, which gives us up to four more bashos with him. I'd be astonished if four bashos actually take place before a hypothetical mid-2021 Olympics.

Edited by Sue
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Entertain us a while longer.

Every cloud has a silver lining! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now