Sign in to follow this  
Gaijingai

Sumo betting

The website says " At William Hill, Kakuryu is listed as a -145 favorite for his match on Saturday against Asanoyama, who is a +115 underdog."

I don't have a clue to understand those numbers? Are they odds? How does that work? (I am used to Odd Sumo style odds, where 1.4 means you win 0.4 if you win and lose 1 if you lose)

Minus ODDS mean what you would have to Bet to win 100. So at -145 you would need to bet 145 to win 245, the 100 you win and your original 145 back.

Plus ODDS are the opposite. +115 mean you bet 100 to win 215. 115 plus your 100 back.

I'm not surprised to see this and there is nothing NSK can do about it. It's a foreign country. The same way betting on politics is illegal in the US but Brits can bet on the winner of an American election. With the large scale cancellation of sports matches everywhere betting houses will move into other things to bet on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yet anyone playing sumogames knows that it's sheer folly to bet real money on the bouts. How many gamblers would have gone bankrupt with Endo on Senshuraku?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Yet anyone playing sumogames knows that it's sheer folly to bet real money on the bouts. How many gamblers would have gone bankrupt with Endo on Senshuraku?

The premise of sports books is that there are enough fools to make their business model viable.  And they try to set the odds so that there is equal money above and below their line.  The only side that consistently wins is the house, as you know.

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

How many gamblers would have gone bankrupt with Endo on Senshuraku?

I am certain almost all would have lost money when Kakuryu lost to Tokushoryu. To me, that was the biggest upset of the entire tournament. 

7 minutes ago, Kishinoyama said:

To me, that was the biggest upset of the entire tournament.

For the first two days of the basho, Okinoumi wasn't even worth a x-pick in SekiToto. You know what happened on day 2...

Tokushoryu on the other hand had one x-pick against Kakuryu. B-)

1 hour ago, Jakusotsu said:

Tokushoryu on the other hand had one x-pick against Kakuryu. B-)

I did say almost all.... ;-)

Betting isn't just about picking the surest winners though. The odds are everything. I wouldn't think many would be excited to lay ~10:1 on Kakuryu or bet Endo as the biggest favorite of day 15.