Asashosakari

Promotion/Demotion and Yusho discussion Haru 2020

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

With all the discussion about Asanoyama, it reminds me that coming up the ranks he was beaten for the sandamne yusho by Kotodaigo, who I really hope is promoted in the end. I always feel slightly pained when I see rikishi who spent so long battling it out in makushita, often beating many future sekitori, yet never able to make that leap themselves.

Edited by Katooshu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

I guess the bottom of makuuchi will also be crowded with Sadogatake rikishi.

I feel that they will promote tobizaru over kotoeko precisely for this reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

I feel that they will promote tobizaru over kotoeko precisely for this reason.

Really, is that a factor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ozeki Asanoyama!

Being a fan for over two years now, I'm really happy he finally took the big step. From the beginning, I enjoyed his "smart" flavour of Sumo. Now, I wish him to become Yokozuna. To me, he's the top Yokozuna candidate once Hakuho retires (but of course, I'm not objective).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And time to wrap things up here...

Day 15 (results, text-only results)

13-2 Ye Hakuho

12-3 Yw Kakuryu, M9e Takanosho

11-4 Se Asanoyama, M13w Aoiyama

I don't think it's going to be remembered as an all-time great classic, but the yusho-deciding match between the two yokozuna still delivered a worthy finish to Haru basho. And when all was said and done it was a 13-2 championship for Hakuho in this tournament held under highly unusual circumstances - this reminds me of something. It's the senior yokozuna's 44th title, and having just turned 35 years old this month he is now the fourth-oldest makuuchi winner of the post-WWII era, behind only Kyokutenho (37y 8m), Haguroyama (37y 2m), and Chiyonofuji (35y 5m).

Kakuryu had to settle for the jun-yusho honours, alongside surprise package Takanosho who closed things out with another impressive victory, this time over sekiwake Shodai. Aoiyama, the Day 12 sole leader, picked up his third straight loss, however, and failed to even finish runner-up in the end.

The penultimate bout of the tournament saw the culmination of Asanoyama's push to become ozeki, and while it wasn't very pretty it ended in success for him - weathering Takakeisho's pushing attack Asanoyama eventually managed to get to the ozeki's mawashi and go on the offensive himself, eventually causing Takakeisho to lose his footing and collapse to the clay. Asanoyama finishes his three-basho run with a total of (only) 32 wins, but has also posted four straight double digit records in the joi now, something far from common. The shimpan department wasted no time in declaring his ozeki run complete, and so we'll be seeing it made official by the board of directors less than 24 hours from now.

Something that's also far from common is the fact that Asanoyama has not received any sansho for his promotion-clinching performance - since the start of the special prize system in 1947, he is only the 8th new ozeki (out of 72) to miss out. Sansho were instead awarded to runner-up Takanosho (kanto-sho) and to long-time yusho contender Aoiyama (gino-sho), as well as to Onosho (shukun-sho) for his spectacular Day 10 defeat of eventual champion Hakuho.

With Asanoyama's promotion to ozeki it also became clear that a second lower sanyaku slot is opening up, so there's now room to accommodate both Daieisho and Mitakeumi. Both ended their Haru campaigns with a loss, Daieisho to Kiribayama (5 straight wins to end it!) and Mitakeumi to Onosho. Another Day 15 loser was komusubi Endo who found himself outgunned by crafty veteran Takarafuji. That was bad news for Endo as it clinched a makekoshi record for him, so he will almost certainly have to vacate his spot in the titled ranks. The likely beneficiary will be Okinoumi who prevailed in a 7-7 decider over low-ranked former ozeki Kotoshogiku. It would be 34-year-old Okinoumi's first sanyaku appearance in three and a half years if it comes to pass; he's got some potential competition in the promotion race by Takanosho, but conventional wisdom says that his 12 wins while ranked at M9 (with a far easier schedule) will be seen in a less favourable light than Okinoumi's 8 wins at M2.

Yutakayama will be missing out on sanyaku in any case, but narrowly defeating Chiyomaru on the final day he has still finished kachikoshi in the joi-jin for the first time in his career, a far cry from his first two attempts which ended in 2-13 and 3-10-2 scores two years back.

    13-2  Hakuho        Y    Kakuryu      12-3
     7-8  Takakeisho    O    ---
(o) 11-4  Asanoyama     S    Shodai        8-7
(x)  4-11 Hokutofuji    K    Endo          7-8  (x)

(o)  8-7  Daieisho      M1
(?)  8-7  Okinoumi      M2
     8-7  Yutakayama    M3   Mitakeumi    10-5  (o)
                        M4
                        M5   Onosho        9-6
                        ...
(?) 12-3  Takanosho     M9


Another rikishi who clinched a career-best kachikoshi at the last minute is Kagayaki at M6w. His senshuraku victory sent low-ranked Meisei to makekoshi, and the promising youngster may well find himself equipped with a ticket to juryo now, joining Tochiozan, Azumaryu, Daiamami and injured Tsurugisho on the way down. Nishikigi may have avoided that fate after all with a pretty cool tsuridashi victory over Sadanoumi.

In juryo pretty much everything went against Terunofuji, who found himself outmuscled by fellow ex-sanyaku Chiyootori, while all other contenders managed to add another win to their tallies, including top-ranked Kotoyuki who benefitted from the withdrawal of his scheduled opponent Hoshoryu.

                        M1   Takayasu     0-5-10
                        ...
                        M10  Tochiozan     3-12 (x)
                        ...
                        M14  Nishikigi     6-9  (??)
(x)1-4-10 Tsurugisho    M15  Chiyomaru    7-6-2
(x)  5-10 Azumaryu      M16
(?)  7-8  Meisei        M17  Daiamami      5-10 (x)
                        M18  ---
       
(o)  8-7  Kotoyuki      J1
     8-7  Chiyoshoma    J2   Wakatakakage 10-5  (o)
(?) 10-5  Terunofuji    J3
(??)10-5  Tobizaru      J4
(?) 11-4  Kotoeko       J5
(o) 12-3  Kotoshoho     J6

Four demotions and three promotions should be clear, as listed in the table; Kotoyuki and Wakatakakage are returning to the top division, while 20-year-old yusho winner Kotoshoho will be making his debut. It's difficult to tell if Terunofuji or Kotoeko is fourth in line, but it won't matter if Meisei gets dropped. If he survives, I'm inclined to say that Terunofuji gets promoted and Kotoeko does not. Tobizaru also secured a very promotable record, but will find himself unluckily denied unless the banzuke committee decides to overdemote Nishikigi. Chiyoshoma almost certainly won't be moving up and doesn't have a proper promotion claim anyway, but I can't remember too many tournaments where 8 wins from J2e were only good enough for 7th in line to begin with.


For reasons of convenience I'll insert the final juryo yusho arasoi here:

12-3 J6e Kotoshoho

11-4 J5e Kotoeko

10-5 J2w Wakatakakage, J3e Terunofuji, J4e Tobizaru

The race was over after the first of the potentially three relevant matches, courtesy of Kotoshoho's championship-clinching win over Chiyonoumi. The sole runner-up record was produced by his stablemate Kotoeko in the end, winning over erstwhile contender Hakuyozan (who finished only 9-6 with three straight losses), while Terunofuji fell two wins behind against Chiyootori.

Tough match assignment for Chiyonoumi there, and he ended up on a hard-luck makekoshi with that loss. He should still be retaining his juryo slot, however, even with just 7 wins at J13e. Yago's demotion became a certainty with his 11th loss against Hidenoumi in what was a decidedly not pretty end to the Haru basho juryo action. The weird assist he was given by the banzuke committee two months ago ended up being completely for naught. (It's a trivia-worthy series of records now, at least...) The third promotion slot may have changed hands on the final day after Chiyonoo managed to defeat Takagenji.

(x)  4-11 Yago          J10
                        J11
                        J12  Asagyokusei   5-10 (x)
                        J13  Tomokaze     kyujo (x)
                        J14

                        Ms1
                        Ms2  Kotodaigo     4-3  (?)
(o)  6-1  Asabenkei     Ms3  Fujiazuma     5-2  (o)
(?)  5-2  Chiyonoo      Ms4
                        Ms5

The committee's recent tie-breaker favourite won't help here - both Kotodaigo and Chiyonoo won their seventh bout up in juryo. Consequently I'm going to go with the standard solution and predict that Chiyonoo will be the one who gets to accompany Asabenkei and Fujiazuma back to the paid ranks. Tough luck for Kotodaigo, if so. Both they and we will know soon enough, of course, as the promotions are set to be announced tomorrow.

That's it for the sekitori ranks here, I'll finish up the lower division yusho results in a separate post shortly. The NSK's decision to hold the basho ultimately paid off, but it remains to be seen if the situation will be sufficiently stable to do it again in May, with or without an audience...let's hope for the best. As always, thanks for reading and discussing!

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Something that's also far from common is the fact that Asanoyama has not received any sansho for his promotion-clinching performance - since the start of the special prize system in 1947, he is only the 8th new ozeki (out of 72) to miss out.

Only one of the seven others didn't made it to yokozuna. So, quite a nice company he is joining there. 

#FiringUpTheHopes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Asanoyama finishes his three-basho run with a total of (only) 32 wins, but has also posted four straight double digit records in the joi now, something far from common.

This isn't even particularly common when you expand the selection of ranks to include Ozeki in the query.  The only ones in recent years (defined by "since I started following sumo") were Terunofuji going through 2 tournaments after his promotion, and Kisenosato's long run during his run up to Yokozuna.  Given how many of them are chained together, the 188 results are fairly rare.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=5&n_basho=4&form1_rank=o-M5&form1_wins=10-15&form2_rank=o-M5&form2_wins=10-15&form3_rank=o-M5&form3_wins=10-15&form4_rank=o-M5&form4_wins=10-15&offset=150

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

(I noticed later that I didn't say who I'm expecting to be the second sekiwake besides Shodai - unsurprisingly, I'm going to go with Mitakeumi over Daieisho.)


And time to finally close things out for the lower divisions as well...

Lower division yusho races (Day 13 results with links to video, also as playlist including the playoff):

6-1 Ms22w Kyokusoten (Nakagawa)
7-0 Ms49e Nishikifuji (Isegahama)

7-0 Sd30w Ura (Kise)
7-0 Sd64e Nankairiki (Kise)
6-1 Sd84w Chiyodaigo (Kokonoe)

6-1 Jd15w Nihonyanagi (Onomatsu)
7-0 Jd49e Dewanoryu (Dewanoumi)
6-1 Jd57e Ryubu (Musashigawa)

7-0 Jk22w Shinohara (Fujishima)

Rather quick and decisive matches for the most part. Shinohara had no trouble at all with his designated 5-1 pushover Ishihara and clinched the jonokuchi yusho for his banzuke debut. Officially he's still undefeated of course, but he did pick up a loss in maezumo two months ago - he managed to take revenge on that opponent, fellow high school rookie Taiyo, with the slightly higher stakes this time around. Shinohara will be taking the express banzuke elevator to high jonidan as is customary; from what I've seen of him this basho I didn't get the impression that he's quite skilled enough to do the 14-0 double, but maybe he'll surprise me.

Dewanoryu-Ryubu also looked about as one would expect when a well-regarded high school newcomer goes against a 21-year-old jonidan regular. The easy win for the new Mongolian turned out to be yusho-clinching in the end after Nihonyanagi - yet another new high schooler with strong expectations - didn't come through against his sandanme opponent, veteran Nankairiki. Very good performance by the youngster anyway, though, against a very tough customer with lots of experience.

So, no playoff for the jonidan yusho and no opportunity for Dewanoryu to avenge his January jonokuchi loss against Nihonyanagi, but they might well get the opportunity in their next honbasho appearance: Their respective Jd49e 7-0 and Jd15w 6-1 scores should see both of them moving up to around the Sd50 mark. (On a sidenote: Ryubu will also be making his sandanme debut, after nearly five years in jonidan.)

At 32 years of age and coming back from a long-term injury right now, Nankairiki's likely no longer the guy who was a perennial mid-makushita fixture for nearly a decade, but it's probably safe to say that he was still quite under-ranked at Sd64 this basho. His Day 13 win served to set up the same-stable meeting against Ura, who had no issues defeating Chiyodaigo to secure his spot in that playoff. Nankairiki proceeded to demonstrate that familiarity with an opponent's unorthodox style can go a long way, but the clear difference in class served to give Ura the playoff victory and championship in the end.

Big moves are afoot for both Kise-beya rikishi, with Nankairiki going back to his pre-injury ceiling around Ms40, while Ura should find himself ranked just outside the makushita top 15, so not in line for an immediate shot at juryo. Typically only 7-0's from Sd25 and above get put into the top 15, and he was a little bit too low for that at Sd30. They could still decide to fudge things in his favour given his makuuchi pedigree, but I doubt they will. It might be for the best anyway if he doesn't try to fast-track himself back to sekitori status. I do have to say that he looks more comfortable on the dohyo to me than he did in his ill-fated first comeback attempt a little over a year ago, which resulted in re-injury to his knee.

And finally, the makushita yusho decider - between two rikishi who looked quite evenly matched on paper - turned out to be another match that was finished in short order. A quick deflection of an overcommitted Kyokusoten, and Nishikifuji was the winner. The basho still has to rate as a big success for 27-year-old Kyokusoten, who appears finally capable of breaking out of the mid-makushita range that he's been stuck in for several years. He'll be making his debut in the single-digit ranks next time, somewhere between Ms7e and Ms8w I would expect.

23-year-old Nishikifuji already was that high in the past and even went 5-2 at Ms8w last July, before he got derailed by injury. It'll be a close thing whether or not he gets to jump straight back into the top 5 promotion zone on his 7-0 record, but I suspect he'll need a little more seasoning in any case and isn't a contender for a juryo promotion just yet. I'm sure he's hoping to join stablemate (and same basho debut) Midorifuji in the paid ranks as quickly as possible, of course.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/03/2020 at 05:25, Asashosakari said:

And time to wrap things up here...

Day 15 (results, text-only results)

13-2 Ye Hakuho

12-3 Yw Kakuryu, M9e Takanosho

11-4 Se Asanoyama, M13w Aoiyama

I don't think it's going to be remembered as an all-time great classic, but the yusho-deciding match between the two yokozuna still delivered a worthy finish to Haru basho. And when all was said and done it was a 13-2 championship for Hakuho in this tournament held under highly unusual circumstances - this reminds me of something. It's the senior yokozuna's 44th title, and having just turned 35 years old this month he is now the fourth-oldest makuuchi winner of the post-WWII era, behind only Kyokutenho (37y 8m), Haguroyama (37y 2m), and Chiyonofuji (35y 5m).

Kakuryu had to settle for the jun-yusho honours, alongside surprise package Takanosho who closed things out with another impressive victory, this time over sekiwake Shodai. Aoiyama, the Day 12 sole leader, picked up his third straight loss, however, and failed to even finish runner-up in the end.

The penultimate bout of the tournament saw the culmination of Asanoyama's push to become ozeki, and while it wasn't very pretty it ended in success for him - weathering Takakeisho's pushing attack Asanoyama eventually managed to get to the ozeki's mawashi and go on the offensive himself, eventually causing Takakeisho to lose his footing and collapse to the clay. Asanoyama finishes his three-basho run with a total of (only) 32 wins, but has also posted four straight double digit records in the joi now, something far from common. The shimpan department wasted no time in declaring his ozeki run complete, and so we'll be seeing it made official by the board of directors less than 24 hours from now.

Something that's also far from common is the fact that Asanoyama has not received any sansho for his promotion-clinching performance - since the start of the special prize system in 1947, he is only the 8th new ozeki (out of 72) to miss out. Sansho were instead awarded to runner-up Takanosho (kanto-sho) and to long-time yusho contender Aoiyama (gino-sho), as well as to Onosho (shukun-sho) for his spectacular Day 10 defeat of eventual champion Hakuho.

With Asanoyama's promotion to ozeki it also became clear that a second lower sanyaku slot is opening up, so there's now room to accommodate both Daieisho and Mitakeumi. Both ended their Haru campaigns with a loss, Daieisho to Kiribayama (5 straight wins to end it!) and Mitakeumi to Onosho. Another Day 15 loser was komusubi Endo who found himself outgunned by crafty veteran Takarafuji. That was bad news for Endo as it clinched a makekoshi record for him, so he will almost certainly have to vacate his spot in the titled ranks. The likely beneficiary will be Okinoumi who prevailed in a 7-7 decider over low-ranked former ozeki Kotoshogiku. It would be 34-year-old Okinoumi's first sanyaku appearance in three and a half years if it comes to pass; he's got some potential competition in the promotion race by Takanosho, but conventional wisdom says that his 12 wins while ranked at M9 (with a far easier schedule) will be seen in a less favourable light than Okinoumi's 8 wins at M2.

Yutakayama will be missing out on sanyaku in any case, but narrowly defeating Chiyomaru on the final day he has still finished kachikoshi in the joi-jin for the first time in his career, a far cry from his first two attempts which ended in 2-13 and 3-10-2 scores two years back.

    13-2  Hakuho        Y    Kakuryu      12-3
     7-8  Takakeisho    O    ---
(o) 11-4  Asanoyama     S    Shodai        8-7
(x)  4-11 Hokutofuji    K    Endo          7-8  (x)

(o)  8-7  Daieisho      M1
(?)  8-7  Okinoumi      M2
     8-7  Yutakayama    M3   Mitakeumi    10-5  (o)
                        M4
                        M5   Onosho        9-6
                        ...
(?) 12-3  Takanosho     M9


Another rikishi who clinched a career-best kachikoshi at the last minute is Kagayaki at M6w. His senshuraku victory sent low-ranked Meisei to makekoshi, and the promising youngster may well find himself equipped with a ticket to juryo now, joining Tochiozan, Azumaryu, Daiamami and injured Tsurugisho on the way down. Nishikigi may have avoided that fate after all with a pretty cool tsuridashi victory over Sadanoumi.

In juryo pretty much everything went against Terunofuji, who found himself outmuscled by fellow ex-sanyaku Chiyootori, while all other contenders managed to add another win to their tallies, including top-ranked Kotoyuki who benefitted from the withdrawal of his scheduled opponent Hoshoryu.

                        M1   Takayasu     0-5-10
                        ...
                        M10  Tochiozan     3-12 (x)
                        ...
                        M14  Nishikigi     6-9  (??)
(x)1-4-10 Tsurugisho    M15  Chiyomaru    7-6-2
(x)  5-10 Azumaryu      M16
(?)  7-8  Meisei        M17  Daiamami      5-10 (x)
                        M18  ---
       
(o)  8-7  Kotoyuki      J1
     8-7  Chiyoshoma    J2   Wakatakakage 10-5  (o)
(?) 10-5  Terunofuji    J3
(??)10-5  Tobizaru      J4
(?) 11-4  Kotoeko       J5
(o) 12-3  Kotoshoho     J6

Four demotions and three promotions should be clear, as listed in the table; Kotoyuki and Wakatakakage are returning to the top division, while 20-year-old yusho winner Kotoshoho will be making his debut. It's difficult to tell if Terunofuji or Kotoeko is fourth in line, but it won't matter if Meisei gets dropped. If he survives, I'm inclined to say that Terunofuji gets promoted and Kotoeko does not. Tobizaru also secured a very promotable record, but will find himself unluckily denied unless the banzuke committee decides to overdemote Nishikigi. Chiyoshoma almost certainly won't be moving up and doesn't have a proper promotion claim anyway, but I can't remember too many tournaments where 8 wins from J2e were only good enough for 7th in line to begin with.


For reasons of convenience I'll insert the final juryo yusho arasoi here:

12-3 J6e Kotoshoho

11-4 J5e Kotoeko

10-5 J2w Wakatakakage, J3e Terunofuji, J4e Tobizaru

The race was over after the first of the potentially three relevant matches, courtesy of Kotoshoho's championship-clinching win over Chiyonoumi. The sole runner-up record was produced by his stablemate Kotoeko in the end, winning over erstwhile contender Hakuyozan (who finished only 9-6 with three straight losses), while Terunofuji fell two wins behind against Chiyootori.

Tough match assignment for Chiyonoumi there, and he ended up on a hard-luck makekoshi with that loss. He should still be retaining his juryo slot, however, even with just 7 wins at J13e. Yago's demotion became a certainty with his 11th loss against Hidenoumi in what was a decidedly not pretty end to the Haru basho juryo action. The weird assist he was given by the banzuke committee two months ago ended up being completely for naught. (It's a trivia-worthy series of records now, at least...) The third promotion slot may have changed hands on the final day after Chiyonoo managed to defeat Takagenji.

(x)  4-11 Yago          J10
                        J11
                        J12  Asagyokusei   5-10 (x)
                        J13  Tomokaze     kyujo (x)
                        J14

                        Ms1
                        Ms2  Kotodaigo     4-3  (?)
(o)  6-1  Asabenkei     Ms3  Fujiazuma     5-2  (o)
(?)  5-2  Chiyonoo      Ms4
                        Ms5

The committee's recent tie-breaker favourite won't help here - both Kotodaigo and Chiyonoo won their seventh bout up in juryo. Consequently I'm going to go with the standard solution and predict that Chiyonoo will be the one who gets to accompany Asabenkei and Fujiazuma back to the paid ranks. Tough luck for Kotodaigo, if so. Both they and we will know soon enough, of course, as the promotions are set to be announced tomorrow.

That's it for the sekitori ranks here, I'll finish up the lower division yusho results in a separate post shortly. The NSK's decision to hold the basho ultimately paid off, but it remains to be seen if the situation will be sufficiently stable to do it again in May, with or without an audience...let's hope for the best. As always, thanks for reading and discussing!

anyone have any English sources to learn more about the shin sekitori?

 

also, fingers crossed on the May basho.  i need something to watch while i am under stay at home laws

 

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/g90p1b/winter-olympics-nagano-1998-opening-ceremony-g90p1b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What factors favour Kotoeko over Terunofuji in the promotion stakes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finishing things up here for the ex-sekitori as well...

new KK: Kaisho, Kizenryu, Dairaido

new MK: Nionoumi, Keitenkai


The final results:

Record   Rank   Shikona Heya Age Out HiRk M# J#
kyujo (i) Ms1e Sokokurai Arashio 36 1 M2 25 20
3-4 Ms1w Sakigake Shibatayama 33 1 J10   6
2-5 Ms2e Toyonoshima Tokitsukaze 36 1 S 71 11
6-1 Ms3e Asabenkei Takasago 31 11 J7   7
5-2 Ms3w Fujiazuma Tamanoi 32 18 M4 17 18
5-2 Ms4e Chiyonoo Kokonoe 28 8 M15 2 31
1-6 Ms4w Daiseido Kise 27 6 J12   3
kyujo Ms5w Gokushindo Nishikido 23 8 J13   1
 
3-4 Ms6w Toyohibiki Sakaigawa 35 13 M2 52 14
0-2-5 Ms7w Irodori Shikoroyama 28 1 J11   4
4-3 Ms9e Kaisho Asakayama 25 2 J11   2
4-3 Ms9w Chiyoarashi Kokonoe 28 40 J10   4
3-4 Ms10e Chiyonokuni Kokonoe 29 5 M1 25 16
5-2 Ms11e Jokoryu Kise 31 7 K 15 13
4-3 Ms11w Kizenryu Kise 34 10 J11   9
5-2 Ms13w Ryuko Onoe 21 4 J12   1
 
kyujo Ms16w Seiro Shikoroyama 31 3 M14 3 31
6-1 Ms19e Kitaharima Yamahibiki 33 15 M15 1 24
3-4 Ms24w Nionoumi Yamahibiki 33 40 M16 1 12
 
1-6 Ms31e Sagatsukasa Irumagawa 38 36 M9 6 22
4-3 Ms31w Kagamio Kagamiyama 32 23 M9 7 14
4-3 Ms38w Asahisho Tomozuna 30 17 M11 4 30
3-1-3 Ms39w Keitenkai Onomatsu 30 45 J11   1
3-4 Ms42e Takaryu Kise 27 28 J13   1
kyujo Ms44w Gagamaru Kise 33 2 K 36 23
5-2 Ms45w Ichiyamamoto Nishonoseki 26 2 J6   3
4-3 Ms46w Amakaze Oguruma 28 12 M13 1 18
3-4 Ms47e Tokushinho Kise 35 26 J6   27
3-4 Ms48e Higonojo Kise 35 35 J9   4
 
7-0 Y Sd30w Ura Kise 27 13 M4 5 6
2-5 Sd33e Kaonishiki Azumazeki 41 51 J6   2
5-2 Sd45w Masunoyama Chiganoura 29 30 M4 13 12
3-4 Sd57w Yoshiazuma Tamanoi 42 33 M12 3 18
4-3 Sd96e Dairaido Takadagawa 39 81 J2   6
 
kyujo Jd28w Hitenryu Tatsunami 35 51 J13   2


Chiyonokuni with his third straight 3-4 since winning the makushita yusho from a low rank last September; not looking that likely now that he'll be returning to sekitoridom. Jokoryu with his third consecutive score of at least 5-2, on the other hand, not sure that was to be expected after his year-long drop from low juryo to low makushita prior to this.
 

On 25/03/2020 at 12:06, shumitto said:

Sagatsukasa will head back to Sandanme in 15 years.

Yeah, looks that way, lots of KK from sandanme to accommodate with makushita spots, so his Ms31e 1-6 result is unlikely to hang on. Much the same thing for Tokushinho and Higonojo as well, who spent only the briefest of times in sandanme over a decade ago after they turned professional out of university, and will probably be headed down there now.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now