since_94

Basho cancellation?

Recommended Posts

I remember getting 39.5 or something when I had an infection as a kid. I remember how I thought I'd heard the doorbell, then I sat outside in front of our door, in below zero temperature startled how I got there. My brain felt fried. I wish Chiyomaru a speedy recovery, hope he gets cooled down properly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

…I get 40°C pretty often when I get the yearly flu. I’m miserable in bed for a week always having to chug medicine the few hours I stay awake so I’m not in pain and can go back to sleep (my mom nurses me). I recall actually drinking coke myself, on doctor advice I think. I think it’s been 2 years since last time it’s happened though so I don’t recall exactly what I drank/ate, but it wasn’t very much at all because I wasn’t able to eat for the most part.

I’m a fairly fit person (do some weight lifting) and every time I come out of one of those weeks I lose a ton of muscle mass and fat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may have already been posted but per Japan Times, Chiyomaru was tested at the hospital Monday for the coronavirus and he tested negative so the Basho will go on.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

In the NBA case, there really was a good reason to test them early: players, officials, and team staff were potential disease vectors from city to city, potentially exposing whole arenas full of spectators at a time, and propagating the disease to all the other arenas throughout the league. And a positive test from the NBA got everyone to take the threat seriously, and got large spectator events shut down.

In the NSK case, Chiyomaru wasn't tested until he met the same criteria as a member of the general public would have needed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sue said:

In the NBA case, there really was a good reason to test them early: players, officials, and team staff were potential disease vectors from city to city, potentially exposing whole arenas full of spectators at a time, and propagating the disease to all the other arenas throughout the league. And a positive test from the NBA got everyone to take the threat seriously, and got large spectator events shut down.

In the NSK case, Chiyomaru wasn't tested until he met the same criteria as a member of the general public would have needed.

I don't think Chiyomaru was qualified to be tested.  He only had 3 days of high temp.   There were media reports of those who had multiple symptoms and didn't get tested for days.  They were eventually tested positive and no doubt a few of them will die because of the delay.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I don't think Chiyomaru was qualified to be tested.  He only had 3 days of high temp.   There were media reports of those who had multiple symptoms and didn't get tested for days.  They were eventually tested positive and no doubt a few of them will die because of the delay.   

 

Yes, exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough question.  In my opinion, flexibility should be applied to others who needs to be tested, not just to a rikishi.  It's not a rocket science and there are plenty of testing kits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I don't think Chiyomaru was qualified to be tested.  He only had 3 days of high temp.   There were media reports of those who had multiple symptoms and didn't get tested for days.  They were eventually tested positive and no doubt a few of them will die because of the delay.   

 

Chiyomaru tested negative for the coronavirus. Cause of fever was reported as bacterial skin infection. Do you have any reliable information on patients with symptoms for days not being tested and subsequently testing positive? I would think that would be big news here but I haven't heard of this at all. Is the Japanese press covering something up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Ginkitsune said:

Chiyomaru tested negative for the coronavirus. Cause of fever was reported as bacterial skin infection. Do you have any reliable information on patients with symptoms for days not being tested and subsequently testing positive? I would think that would be big news here but I haven't heard of this at all. Is the Japanese press covering something up?

Such cases were reported by Japanese media multiple times.  I.e, the media is not covering anything up.   It is just hard for some to qualify for the testing.   Of course, I am reading them using Google translation so I may be missing finer details.  

Edited by robnplunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

I don't think Chiyomaru was qualified to be tested.  He only had 3 days of high temp.   There were media reports of those who had multiple symptoms and didn't get tested for days.  They were eventually tested positive and no doubt a few of them will die because of the delay.   

 

Chiyomaru qualified to be tested because he was symptomatic and he was exposed to large numbers of people on a daily basis. The NSK had to know because they already committed to shutting down if 1 did test positive.

I have no idea why you would suggest anyone will die as a result of  a delay in testing if they are displaying symptoms. They are going to be treated for their symptoms based on their severity. A positive diagnosis doesn't change the treatment for flu, regardless of the type. Their is no drug to cure this.  They simply mitigate the symptoms as best they can to give you the best chance at surviving long enough for your body to deal with the virus. The need for wide spread testing is to find people who are asymptomatic and positive to get them in quarantine and stop them inadvertently infecting others.

Edited by Rocks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Chiyomaru qualified to be tested because he was symptomatic and he was exposed to large numbers of people on a daily basis. The NSK had to know because they already committed to shutting down if 1 did test positive.

I have no idea why you would suggest anyone will die as a result of  a delay in testing if they are displaying symptoms. They are going to be treated for their symptoms based on their severity. A positive diagnosis doesn't change the treatment for flu, regardless of the type. Their is no drug to cure this.  They simply mitigate the symptoms as best they can to give you the best chance at surviving long enough for your body to deal with the virus. The need for wide spread testing is to find people were are asymptomatic and positive to get them in quarantine and stop them inadvertently infecting others.

Just google media articles on Japanese Coronavirus testing qualification.  There are plenty of articles that discuss this topic.   Also, I don't know if you read Japanese news.  I do daily.   There have been cases and reports of people who was bounced from one doctor/clinic to another for a week before being allowed to be tested.   I think one such person was in his 70s.   For him, it is one week of missed hospitalization where he could have gotten the needed care.  If such instances increase, who is to say that it will not lead to unnecessary death?   Of late, there are some isolated movements to ease the testing qualification.  I think that is a good move.  At least, be flexible and apply common sense.   That's my point.

The following is a recent report.  I think it says there were 290 test requests by doctors which were rejected.  

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/videonews/ann?a=20200318-00000049-ann-soci

Edited by robnplunder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

Just google media articles on Japanese Coronavirus testing qualification.  There are plenty of articles that discuss this topic.   Also, I don't know if you read Japanese news.  I do daily.   There have been cases and reports of people who was bounced from one doctor/clinic to another for a week before being allowed to be tested.   I think one such person was in his 70s.   For him, it is one week of missed hospitalization where he could have gotten the needed care.  If such instances increase, who is to say that it will not lead to unnecessary death?   Of late, there are some isolated movements to ease the testing qualification.  I think that is a good move.  At least, be flexible and apply common sense.   That's my point.

Not being tested does not mean that they are not being treated if they have flu symptoms.  They won't be hospitalized to be treated unless they need intensive care even if they test positive. They will be given medicine to take for their symptoms, told to self quarantine and sent home. They don't immediately hospitalize people that test positive. If the media is reporting this as some kind of failure then they are being irresponsible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Not being tested does not mean that they are not being treated if they have flu symptoms.  They won't be hospitalized to be treated unless they need intensive care even if they test positive. They will be given medicine to take for their symptoms, told to self quarantine and sent home. They don't immediately hospitalize people that test positive. If the media is reporting this as some kind of failure then they are being irresponsible.

Correct.  I don't disagree with you.   What my impression is, having followed this for some time, that Japanese guideline seems to be unnecessarily cautious and there could be isolated cases of tragedy.   I've posted a video link of a news report that is relevant to this discussion.  Google can translate it (rather poorly) in English if you don't read Japanese (like me :-|).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Just google media articles on Japanese Coronavirus testing qualification.  There are plenty of articles that discuss this topic.   Also, I don't know if you read Japanese news.  I do daily.   There have been cases and reports of people who was bounced from one doctor/clinic to another for a week before being allowed to be tested.   I think one such person was in his 70s.   For him, it is one week of missed hospitalization where he could have gotten the needed care.  If such instances increase, who is to say that it will not lead to unnecessary death?   Of late, there are some isolated movements to ease the testing qualification.  I think that is a good move.  At least, be flexible and apply common sense.   That's my point.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I'm a retired epidemiologist (although not in population health) but I do understand the principle's behind each countries response. Since I live in Japan and have a great interest in this, my wife translates anything I cannot read. So first, the reason why there are criteria here (and in every other country) on who gets tested is because of the finite number of tests and personnel available. That doesn't mean a person doesn't get any test at all as they will receive a test for influenza since the symptoms are so similar. If they are negative for influenza and have persistent symptoms they are highly likely to be tested for coronavirus. Has this worked perfectly everywhere? No but these are exceptions and not the rule. I'm not sure that speculation that these will somehow increase is warranted without some indication that this is a widespread issue. Rocks mentions wide spread testing of asymptomatic patients in order to quarantine and stop the transmission. This is highly effective when the disease is still isolated to a geographic area and can be contained. What has happened in most countries is the virus has not been contained so now testing is most effective to first positively identify symptomatic patients, quarantine and treat. Once the initial backlog of symptomatic patients is managed then further testing of asymptomatic patients can take place to isolate and iradicate. 

The reason I am sensitive about what is written about coronavirus on this board is because many people rely on it for information, mostly about sumo but also other side issues. This is a side issue that the entire world is grappling with right now and anecdotes and hyperbole can sometimes unintentionally misinform. I would hope we can all keep our speculation to the sumo and only try to share reliable information on coronavirus.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
3 minutes ago, Ginkitsune said:

So first, the reason why there are criteria here (and in every other country) on who gets tested is because of the finite number of tests and personnel available.

That has been publically disputed already.   A bit of research on your part can find that the resource is not the issue.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

That has been publically disputed already.   A bit of research on your part can find that the resource is not the issue.   

Well anything can be disputed. Please forgive me however if I don't recognize you as an expert because you read Yahoo Japan. I think I'm done here.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Ginkitsune said:

Well anything can be disputed. Please forgive me however if I don't recognize you as an expert because you read Yahoo Japan. I think I'm done here.

No problem.  We simply disagree.   

Just a few days ago, Softbank CEO offered one million test kits for free.  That offer was withheld after a public backlash.  Korea tests 10000+ daily.  Why can't Japan test even 1/2 of that?   Japan has the personnel to do it.  It is the policy not the lack of resources.   Having said that, I give the Japanese government and its people credit that the policy is working so far.  I was just pointing out that Japan can be more flexible when qualifying people for COVID 19 testing.  And there are pockets of this happening already.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now