Wakaebala

Ex-rikishi who does guest commenting?

Hey, could you please list some names who are usual faces around the japanese commentator booth? 

Do you know anything about how are they chosen? 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wakaebala said:

Hey, could you please list some names who are usual faces around the japanese commentator booth? 

Do you know anything about how are they chosen? 

Non-exhaustive, but off the top of my head:

Kitanofuji

Mainoumi

Shibata (Onokuni)

Araiso (Kisenosato)

Naruto (Kotooshu)

Oguruma (Kotokaze)

Takasago (Asashio)

Kasugano (Tochinowaka)

Isegahama (Asahifuji)

Michinoku (Kirishima)

I don't know the exact criteria for being chosen, but it seems they are all former sanyaku or above. 

Also, Kitanofuji and Mainoumi, while former riskishi as we all know, differ from the others in that they are no longer Kyokai members, and so act in the capacity of personalities rather than active members taking a turn in the booth. 

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yokozuna Kitanofuji and komusubi Mainoumi are the most frequent commentators. I would guess that they appear in approximately half of the NHK honbasho broadcasts. The reasons they are chosen are not only because of their vast experience but also of their ability to clearly explain things that the average fan knows little about.

Another commentator on the English language version of these broadcasts is John Gunning. Although he was never a professional rikishi, he had a successful career as an amateur. He is extremely knowledgable and expresses his commentary very well. He has added greatly to my enjoyment watchng the bashos. My only complaint is that he doesn't appear on the broadcasts as often as I would like him to.

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 1

Ex-Wakanohana appears on Abema TV where he often demonstrates techniques as part of his post-bout analysis.

Shiranui oyakata (former Komosubi Wakakoyu) has done some time in the Abema TV broadcast booth, as has Aminishiki.

Posted (edited)

Kumagatani (ex-Tamaasuka) is another regular face at Abema, if I remember correctly. Kiyomigata (ex-Bushuyama) used to be there very frequently, too, but I can't recall if I've seen him in the last few tournaments. (That's the one part I miss about Abema no longer doing lower division commentary - with nearly 10 hours of airtime to fill every day, they used to have a ton of younger oyakata guesting.)

Edited by Asashosakari

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

Non-exhaustive, but off the top of my head:

Kitanofuji

Mainoumi

Shibata (Onokuni)

Araiso (Kisenosato)

Naruto (Kotooshu)

Oguruma (Kotokaze)

Takasago (Asashio)

Kasugano (Tochinowaka)

Isegahama (Asahifuji)

Michinoku (Kirishima)

I don't know the exact criteria for being chosen, but it seems they are all former sanyaku or above. 

Also, Kitanofuji and Mainoumi, while former riskishi as we all know, differ from the others in that they are no longer Kyokai members, and so act in the capacity of personalities rather than active members taking a turn in the booth. 

Also Hatachiyama, Sakaigawa, Shikoroyama, and Tatsutagawa

Edited by code_number3
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, sekitori said:

John Gunning. Although he was never a professional rikishi, he had a successful career as an amateur.

LOL

I guess it’s true what they say. Some people don’t judge success in material terms.

Edited by John Gunning

Kabutoyama (Oikari) is a frequent guest on the broadcast.

Also someone I never came close to beating in all the times we trained together.

A key factor in my success in other words.

Shikihide oyakata (Kitazakura) has carried out the Wakanohana role on Abema at least once. I remember this as I didn't have a clue who he was.