Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

Rikishi Status - 2020 Haru

6 minutes ago, RaeucherLax said:

I highly doubt the chance of a ruptured ACL healing in 3 weeks time... but then we are talking Sumo recovery times here :-S

This is just a quirk of the Japanese medical system. Generally speaking, that is the maximum amount of time the orthopedist can put on the initial certificate. It has something to do with employment law and medical leave. If you need further time off work once the certificate expires, you can go back as many times as necessary to get extensions. There may be some exceptions or special case rules, but that is what I've heard from Japanese doctors.

• Thanks 4

56 minutes ago, RaeucherLax said:

I highly doubt the chance of a ruptured ACL healing in 3 weeks time... but then we are talking Sumo recovery times here :-S

Likewise the herniated disc in the back... That's a lifetime injury - they don't heal, you just manage them

• Like 1

A quartet of withdrawals ahead of Day 7:

Ms22e Tomisakae (1-2, fusenpai Day 6)

Sd29w Masuminato (0-3, fusenpai Day 5)

Sd79e Kyokuyuko (2-1, fusenpai Day 6)

Jd56e Kenho (0-3, fusenpai Day 6)

Tomisakae suffered a left arm triceps brachii muscle injury in his previous bout, how serious is still to be confirmed but Isegahama-oyakata (former Yokozuna Asahifuji) says he won't be returning to the basho.

Also, I forgot to mention that Yutakanami was suffering from a hernia which caused a lot of pain and numbness, he has had surgery on it and is now recovering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

West Maegashira #15
Chiyomaru
(Kokonoe Beya)
has withdrawn the 8th Day of the March Tournament.

1 minute ago, Rocks said:
West Maegashira #15
Chiyomaru
(Kokonoe Beya)
has withdrawn the 8th Day of the March Tournament.

High temp.

• Thanks 1

Ahead of Day 9, two of the earlier withdrawals return, and a former Juryo withdraws.

Returning:

Ms22e Tomisakae (see below)

Sd79e Kyokuyuko

Withdrawing:

Mk39w Keitenkai - his left knee buckled at the edge in his last bout, although he had only a slight limp as he walked out so hopefully it's not serious.

I can only guess Tomisakae's arm injury wasn't as bad as it seemed - this really doesn't look like someone who would be back after a few days. (Sorry for the poor quality)

Chiyomaru's temp didn't go down.  He will now get a COVID 19 test.  It's a nervous time.  Knock on wood.

Chiyomaru is back on the torikumi for day 11. Yay!

2 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

Chiyomaru is back on the torikumi for day 11. Yay!

So if he is back cellulitis not his issue?

1 hour ago, specialweek 2 said:

So if he is back cellulitis not his issue?

It was diagnosed as cellutis.

Just to catch up, there was one other change ahead of Day 11.

Withdrawing:

Sd84e Tochihayate (2-3, fusenpai Day 10)

The winner of that fusen bout was none other than returning Kyokuyuko, I think he's the first rikishi since Kotoyutaka in 2012 Kyushu to benefit from a fusensho immediately on returning to the basho.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Just to catch up, there was one other change ahead of Day 11.

Withdrawing:

Sd84e Tochihayate (2-3, fusenpai Day 10)

The winner of that fusen bout was none other than returning Kyokuyuko, I think he's the first rikishi since Kotoyutaka in 2012 Kyushu to benefit from a fusensho immediately on returning to the basho.

Azumanami 2016.01 ;-)

In the last update for the lower divisions, two Jonokuchi rikishi make a late entry in order to remain on the banzuke:

Jk15w Shiryu

Jk20e Chiyotaiho

Osumifuji, Fujinonami, Yutakanami, Bariki and Tetsubisho will therefore drop off the banzuke (assuming they remain active).

18 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Good catch, thanks! As you probably guessed I only queried those who had a fusen loss, I forgot that isn't a requirement in a toriteki kyujo.

J9w Hoshoryu will miss his final bout due to lower back pain, requiring several days of rest and treatment. Kotoyuki will be the lucky recipient of a kachi-koshi clinching fusensho.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

J9w Hoshoryu will miss his final bout due to lower back pain, requiring several days of rest and treatment.....

Oh my.... that is not good. Not a whole lot of treatments work for back problems. If he keeps putting on weight, then that may only exacerbate the pain. :-(