robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Sokokurai kyujo. So long great warrior, I admire your weathering the storm to make it back into the NSK and even score a kinboshi years later.

• Like 2

Interesting to see that the torikumi-hyo PDF on the Kyokai site is not the usual simplified version (which I would prefer, personally), it's the full sheet with the kensho placements and hoshitori-hyo. I wonder if that's a permanent change or just something they're doing for this basho due to the circumstances, since presumably they won't be mass-printing it at the venue as there are no customers to give it to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Interesting to see that the torikumi-hyo PDF on the Kyokai site is not the usual simplified version (which I would prefer, personally), it's the full sheet with the kensho placements and hoshitori-hyo. I wonder if that's a permanent change or just something they're doing for this basho due to the circumstances, since presumably they won't be mass-printing it at the venue as there are no customers to give it to.

Also contains this warning

Are those long writings under the bout is something like eg “enjoy this delicious ochazuke from naganatien!”?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, WAKATAKE said:

Sokokurai kyujo. So long great warrior, I admire your weathering the storm to make it back into the NSK and even score a kinboshi years later.

and a junyusho and a ginosho.

Edited by Dapeng
  • Like 2

On 05/03/2020 at 18:06, code_number3 said:

Day 1 and day 2 torikumis are released!

(Tokushoryu vs Shodai on day 1!)

Shodai will win in a landslide ...   :-)

On 06/03/2020 at 03:06, code_number3 said:

(Tokushoryu vs Shodai on day 1!)

Perhaps equally intriguing is Hakuho vs Endo on day 1!  Normally, Hakuho will not lose two in a row against the same opponent, but his dominance is on the wane. Frankly, winning will be more critical for Hakuho.  But Endo will fight with the confidence of having defeated the Yokozuna soundly back in January...

Posted (edited)

So, we actually have a rare Maegashira #18 this time around (Kotonowaka)! Time to beat that old lowest ranked yuusho record?

Edited by dada78641
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Perhaps equally intriguing is Hakuho vs Endo on day 1!  Normally, Hakuho will not lose two in a row against the same opponent, but his dominance is on the wane. Frankly, winning will be more critical for Hakuho.  But Endo will fight with the confidence of having defeated the Yokozuna soundly back in January...

If Hak loses, he will go kyujo with a broken left ego bone.   But I have a feeling Hak will beat Endo mercilessly.

Edited by robnplunder

I can't believe they're wiping their face and noses with those little towels and handing it to the ring side guy.  That's the surest way to spread any disease.

Midorifuji was all good!   I think Enho  is a bit bigger although the stat says Midorifuji is a tad taller and heavier.

• Like 1

I'm liking that we get to hear Kotoeko's name announced with an actual echo echo echo.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I’m quite enjoying the oddity of the empty arena. It’s a basho to remember.

• Like 2

There are definitely people sitting on the upper tier (visible on the low angle shots). Who would they be?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

There are definitely people sitting on the upper tier (visible on the low angle shots). Who would they be?

The media? I believe the plan was to confine them to the upper section.

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I didn't see this posted on this thread so here is the link.  I also  set up a separate thread to notify anyone who is not aware that the Haru Basho Makuuchi Division will be livestreamed in less than one hour.  It's counting down even as I am typing this!!

Edited by sumojoann

Seriously, they couldn’t skip the reading out of names this time? It’s boring enough when there are other things to look at for distraction.

• Like 2

Goeido is on the Kyokai's youtube live stream.