robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

I love it when a rikishi tries a henka and loses. Great job by Ikioi of 'turning the tables'.(Applauding...)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yeah, a HNH that worked for Ishiura, and a clumsy deliberate matta/henka combo that didn't for Terutsuyoshi.

I enjoyed watching both Takarafuji and Okinoumi successfully weather oshi storms from Onosho and Abi. I can just imagine Takarafuji thinking, "Yes, son. Just knacker yourself out trying to find a neck."

I agree that Mitakeumi-Asanoyama is likely a decisive bout in terms of the yusho race, but it may also turn out to be the bout of the basho. It was titanic! Even in defeat Asanoyama looked good, but Mitakeumi's got his unstoppable head on. You know, the one with the exploding cheek zits. 

I did not see it coming, but I was thrilled when it happened and actually clapped - alone in front of my monitor. Hatsu kinboshi for Tokushoryu! Against a seemingly on-form Kakuryu, too. A bit sad that he didn't get the roar of approval and purple rain though...

---

I know Tochiozan's 'bullet wound' has been commented on before, and Tochinoshin has a scar in the same place over his right clavicle. I thought it was a Kasugano thing, but now Tamawashi has a plaster in the same place. Forgive my crappy memory if this has been answered before, but what causes this injury?

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 1

Yes happy for Tokushoryu to get a kimboshi after the beatings he has taken. He's getting stronger. 

3 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I know Tochiozan's 'bullet wound' has been commented on before, and Tochinoshin has a scar in the same place over his right clavicle. I thought it was a Kasugano thing, but now Tamawashi has a plaster in the same place. Forgive my crappy memory if this has been answered before, but what causes this injury?

To the best of my knowledge, that sumo badge of honour comes from practicing one's tachiai against the wooden teppo practice poles found near the keikoba practice rings in stables.

I'm more concerned about their punctured buttocks...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Tochiozan's 'bullet wound' has been commented on before, and Tochinoshin has a scar in the same place over his right clavicle. I thought it was a Kasugano thing, but now Tamawashi has a plaster in the same place. Forgive my crappy memory if this has been answered before, but what causes this injury?

Gentle love bites?

Where was this Mitakeumi the last 2 basho? Instead we have discussions if Shodai is an Ozeki candidate...*duh*

Imagine Tokushoryu going 1-14. He deserves that kinboshi, good sumo.

So they really want Asanoyama to get 33/3 for promotion? When nobody needs extra Ozeki, they give out promotions left and right like candy. Now there is need for one and they get picky. It's easier to unstand women...

Speaking of Ozeki, Takayasu will drop deep, Tochinoshin needs to change course quick or he will follow, Kotoshogiku balancing on razor's edge. Who will be the first to retire?

Day 6 is over and none of the Yokozuna shows signs of going kyujo, bizharu.

Edited by Benihana

3 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

I was thrilled when it happened and actually clapped - alone in front of my monitor

You weren't the only one.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Day 6 is over and none of the Yokozuna shows signs of going kyujo, bizharu.

We've had a waki [sic, wacky] aki basho.  I hereby christen the 2020 Spring Tournament "biz haru" basho. (Or should that be no-biz biz haru basho?).  Thanks for the inspiration Benihana.

Very sad to see Tochinoshin this way. Too down even to stand up for the reset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

We've had a waki [sic, wacky] aki basho.  I hereby christen the 2020 Spring Tournament "biz haru" basho. (Or should that be no-biz biz haru basho?).  Thanks for the inspiration Benihana.

Credits go to @Kaminariyuki, he came up with bizarre basho in the corona thread.

13 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Credits go to @Kaminariyuki, he came up with bizarre basho in the corona thread.

Aw, thanks. Funny, I heard Murray or one of the other NHK Highlights commentators use it the other day and I turned to my wife, and in Colbert fashion, said "copyright, or at least acknowledgement, please."  LOL, we all knew it would be strange, but just imagining it after the announcement, it had to be bizarre. I'm still getting used to the sounds of the gyoji and rikishi, and the absence of applause, cheering and yes, zabuton throwing, even on Day 6.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

To the best of my knowledge, that sumo badge of honour comes from practicing one's tachiai against the wooden teppo practice poles found near the keikoba practice rings in stables.

I did not know they did that. I thought the teppo pole was just for slapping. This seems OTT, even for ozumo.

My man Aoiyama is a very big fish when he is in a small pond. Really dominates. Well all know what happens when he plops into a bigger pond...it's more fun watching him at this rank honestly.

Good to see Hakuho in full health, my money is on him.

• Like 1

Asa X Mita; niiiiiice. Also, beautiful headoshidashi by The Nephew....

1 hour ago, Jabbamaru said:

Asa X Mita; niiiiiice. Also, beautiful headoshidashi by The Nephew....

For his trouble, "The Nephew" got his head squashed against the bales by Akiseyama's well-fed belly...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Results by maegashira rikishi born from 1987 that are not yokozuna:

2-4, 1-5, 1-5, 4-2, 1-5, 1-5, 1-5, 2-4, 0-6, 4-2, 3-3, 6-0, 3-3, 3-3

Total of:

32W 52L
Out of those 32W, only 14 were against people outside this group.

Ever youthful Takarafuji's technical style pays off with longevity.
Only positive score thus far in this group's first half of the lower sanyaku + upper maegashira representation.

Aoiyama's standout record is due to the fact he's declined to territories he didn't belong to, so it still validates my point to an extent.

Ikioi's positive record so far is a good surprise.

I know that the "change of the guard" is an old topic and the yokozuna sure are subverting that, but I doubt it's ever been this pronounced.

Edited by Koorifuu
  • Like 1

Day 6 - rikishi chatter:

Kakuryuu, losing to Tokushouryuu: "I decided to grab him by myself and imagined how it would be, but I felt like "What the..? WHAT THE..?? My opponent was doing some thinking there.. I was aiming for the left hand grip but over-extended my right and couldn't generate any power."

Daieishou, 3 straight wins after 3 straight losses: "It's getting better. From here on, seriously.."

Hakuhou, blasting Yutakayama out: "I am able to move forward and the flow is good. Tomorrow Mitakeumi? I'll take it a day at a time.."

Tokushouryuu, upsetting Kakuryuu and getting his first kinboshi: " No zabutons, but I can't do anything about that.. I am happy i could win on the musubi no ichiban. It took me a while (to get his first win of the basho.)"

Mitakeumi, beating his younger opponent Asanoyama: "It was a yotsu bout so I was extra careful about the content.. He got his upper grip, but i was patient and managed to move forward so that was good. I can't help being consciously aware of the younger guys' achievements. I feel the pressure and tell myself I can't lose to them!!"

Takakeishou, beating Enhou and escaping a third straight loss: "Rather than thinking what he would do against me, I was thinking what I should be doing.  I just attacked properly as I had planned.."

Aoiyama, sixth straight win: "I am able to concentrate this basho. I am not worried. i had it all planned out today. I see my opponents well and am going about it calmly. I'm happy, but still it's from here on.."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, Highway said:

My man Aoiyama is a very big fish when he is in a small pond. Really dominates. Well all know what happens when he plops into a bigger pond...it's more fun watching him at this rank honestly.

Good to see Hakuho in full health, my money is on him.

Definitely agree with seeing Aoiyama with some success.  He is in his sweet spot now but if he can could up some good momentum he might be this bashos surprise. I doubt he’ll win but if the top rankers keep bumping each other off he might be our runner up. 

Hokutofuji on the other hand is disappointing. Hoping he isn’t nursing an injury and can bounce back in the coming days. 

12 hours ago, Rocks said:

Very sad to see Tochinoshin this way. Too down even to stand up for the reset.

I called that henka by Ishiura yesterday. Just knew it was coming. Said out loud to Tochinoshin, "Don't you get henka'd..."

Just now, since_94 said:

I called that henka by Ishiura yesterday. Just knew it was coming. Said out loud to Tochinoshin, "Don't you get henka'd..."

Tochinoshin saw it too. Didn't care. His heart ain't in it.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Benihana said:

Speaking of Ozeki, Takayasu will drop deep, Tochinoshin needs to change course quick or he will follow, Kotoshogiku balancing on razor's edge. Who will be the first to retire?

I was happy when Tochinoshin won though thought it was a little lucky (he never seemed to be able to consistently beat the top guys to deserve being Ozeki), but his decline has been ugly. It's felt like it has been straight down. There was a time when Takayasu used to flatten people with his shoulder charge and I thought it was only a matter of time until he'd win a basho, but now it's hard to imagine that ever happening. Amazing that Kotoshogiku looks like the best of bunch right now.

Was a bit strange without the crowd at first, but Day 5 and 6 of the basho and the action has finally picked up. Kinda getting to like the the brutal slap of the meat and the shouting of the gyoji in the silence. Feel like if Mitakeumi doesn't pull off an upset today though, this one will be in the books...

Edited by Wasabeefu
words missing
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rocks said:

Tochinoshin saw it too. Didn't care. His heart ain't in it.

He rarely listens to me anyway. I'm still a huge fan.

• Haha 1

Hoshoryu with a textbook shitatenage against Mitoryu just now to go 4-3

If you missed it, be sure to watch Tochinoshin vs Takarafuji match.  That was very awesome  entertaining.

1 minute ago, robnplunder said:

If you missed it, be sure to watch Tochinoshin vs Takarafuji match.  That was very awesome  entertaining.

But I thought his heart isn't in it?  

That was an awesome battle: skycrane vs skycrane