robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

12 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

In any case, he doesn't display any attempt at apologizing to crushed Chiyoshoma, which I couldn't help smirking at. (Beinghypocrite...)

It should be Chiyoshoma who should be apologising to Akua for not sacrificing his body to cushion the latter's fall!!!  (Carriedawayonastretcher...)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Asanoyama gets the freebie in his Ozeki quest.

Fuzen's don't really count for those (or do they?). Isn't more the case that he now has to reach his "magic number" in 14 matches?

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

I heard the announcer on AbemaTV's broadcast today mention "hamstring".  In hindsight (pun not initially intended), Takayasu's acrobatic straight-left-leg-palm-down-on-ring (think beyond touching one's toes)  loss yesterday corresponds with the announced injury.

I'm somewhat relieved that it is treatable, but it also means Takayasu will probably drop down to Juryo when and if he returns...  sigh.

He should be okay. If it's genuinely four weeks, he'll be back for May (or July if May is cancelled - even better) and from M1 he should be high enough to survive. It's been a while since an M1 went 0-15 but precedent suggests a fall to somewhere between M10-M14.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=M1&form1_wins=0&form1_m=on&offset=100

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, yohcun said:

Fuzen's don't really count for those (or do they?). Isn't more the case that he now has to reach his "magic number" in 14 matches?

Yes, they count, until they don't. The Kyokai treats fusensho as it chooses, on a case-by-case basis.

Posted (edited)

I don't like watching former ozeki decline, which is why I admire Goeido's decision so much. Watching Tochinoshin lose to Terutsuyoshi after damn near carrying him out of the ring was awful. That'll do, son. No one can take your great achievements away; your record-breaking comeback from injury to achieve promotion with a record-equalling ozeki run including a yusho. Time to go back to your wife and kid in Georgia, enjoy your new house, and get your political career underway. 

Shodai back to being NTNO, I thought as I watched Endo manhandle him out.

Mitakeumi does my head in! If he would just fight like this every basho he'd be yokozuna by now, never mind ozeki. Totally overwhelmed the underperforming Takakeisho today.

Kak is bak! He looked totally in charge against Yutakayama today.

Now then, was that Tokushoryu's best performance so far, or was it the Hakuho Sho(w)? Felt suspiciously like a demonstration bout to me - like Hakuho let Tokushoryu come back at him from the tawara. Never any real doubt about the result, though. 

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

I heard the announcer on AbemaTV's broadcast today mention "hamstring".  In hindsight (pun not initially intended), Takayasu's acrobatic straight-left-leg-palm-down-on-ring (think beyond touching one's toes)  loss yesterday corresponds with the announced injury.

I'm somewhat relieved that it is treatable, but it also means Takayasu will probably drop down to Juryo when and if he returns...  sigh.

The Japanese articles I'm seeing are saying "futomomo," which can mean both back and front of the upper leg, but further probing shows that in this case it's referring to the hamstring.

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

He should be okay. If it's genuinely four weeks, he'll be back for May (or July if May is cancelled - even better) and from M1 he should be high enough to survive. It's been a while since an M1 went 0-15 but precedent suggests a fall to somewhere between M10-M14.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=M1&form1_wins=0&form1_m=on&offset=100

I suppose I was thinking of the brutal drop that Tomokaze suffered when he went 0-15 last November.  But that seemed exceptionally harsh, and unlike Takayasu, he was fighting at M3w at the time, and dropped to J1e.

Speaking of the "Piano Man", I miss his contributions to the Top Division.  Hope he is well on the road to recovery.

The empty stadium seems to have a different effect on different rikishi.

The ones who seem more motivated by it: Mitakeumi, Takarafuji, Takanosho, Chiyotairyu all seem more than usually invigorated this basho.

The ones who seem totally disinterested and switched off: Takakeisho, Okinoumi, Shohozan, Tamawashi, Azumaryu are not only not doing great sumo, but they all look like they wish they were somewhere else.

I often wondered what it would be like to be a top athlete competing at a time in the world when serious outside events are overshadowing whatever sport you are participating in. It must be hard to concentrate on competing when when stuff is getting really serious out in the real world. 

Tochinoshin's loss was hard to see. He was able to carry Terutsuyoshi like in the old days but he couldn't finish. He has lost his power and I don't see hope in his eyes. I think he will be back in Georgia by Christmas...

"Mmm...a straight line is the shortest distance between two points" thinked Toshinoshin zeki... "Not on the dohyo, baka!!!” screamed Kasugano oyakata..."wheres my golf bat??!"

9 hours ago, Morty said:

The empty stadium seems to have a different effect on different rikishi.

The ones who seem more motivated by it: Mitakeumi, Takarafuji, Takanosho, Chiyotairyu all seem more than usually invigorated this basho.

The ones who seem totally disinterested and switched off: Takakeisho, Okinoumi, Shohozan, Tamawashi, Azumaryu are not only not doing great sumo, but they all look like they wish they were somewhere else.

I often wondered what it would be like to be a top athlete competing at a time in the world when serious outside events are overshadowing whatever sport you are participating in. It must be hard to concentrate on competing when when stuff is getting really serious out in the real world. 

I don't know about disinterested, but Enho and Tokushoryu also seem to be impacted by not having their adoring crowd in attendance.

Mitakeumi is looking awfully tough this basho, but all things being equal I have to pull for number 44 for Hakuho.

The absence of the crowd this basho seems to have quite a negative effect on Hattorizakura. He has lost all of his matches so far... 

• Haha 8

Day 5 rikishi talk:

Asanoyama, winning with a freebie today: "I'll continue without thinking about anything.. The basho has just begun. I want to give it my all tomorrow against Mitakeumi!"

Terunofuji, unbeaten in Juryo and on the fast track back to Makuuchi: "It's as usual. Nothing has changed. No crowds? Nothing I can do about it. It is what it is."

Veteran ex-Sekiwake Toyonoshima, 2-1  in Makushita, winning today but only after a monoii that overturned the gyoji's decision against him: "My heart was beating really fast as the head shinpan gave his explanation. It was a lengthy conference there.. No redo.. The shinpan that called the monoii was Takadagawa Oyakata and he was sitting the closest to where it happened. I felt the sand flying from my heels but I had a feeling my right foot was still in. Today's katasukashi win was not a good one. I wasn't in charge. It was more like a last ditch tawara -edge tsukiotoshi, so the quality wasn't good, I guess.. The fact that we can't go out at night has me stressed. We don't even have a bath-it's only showers. My doctor says I have to keep my forever injured right knee warm, and it's hard without a bath. We can't even go to the neighborhood onsen.. I have  more free time now than usual so all I do is fiddle around with my cell phone the whole day."

Takakeishou, 3rd loss: "If I could just go out and attack, was what I was thinking.. I want to turn things around and do what I am able to do. I hope to do good sumo again starting from tomorrow."

Hakuhou, unbeaten after 5 days, beating Tokushouryuu: "He was heavy. I have finished 5 days safely. I couldn't get rid of him easily, I guess. But it was perfect. This basho is all about grabbing my opponents."

Kakuryuu, slowly getting into the groove, beating Yutakayama: "The sumo had a good flow, but what counts are the next results.. I will be concentrating from day 6 and onwards. We rikishi are gambarizing and showing good sumo for the fans who can only watch us on TV!"

Cup holder Tokushouryuu, losing to Hakuhou and yet to win this basho: " I never had a chance.. A loss is a loss. I am still very far from facing up to Hakuhou. I wanted to win and get back on the wave, but I need to attack more.. Still, very few can say they fought in the musubi-no-ichiban- it's an honor! I hope to show my good side tomorrow against Kakuryuu."

Mitakeumi, beating Takakeishou for his fifth straight win: "I had a good tachiai and got inside- I think it wasn't bad..The situation at the moment is a chance to bring all sorts of new fans to sumo. The kids are at home now so they can watch us on TV and see the beauty of it all. I really hope they are watching.. It's still the first few days, so I feel like we've only just begun."

Myougiryuu, beating Shouhouzan and ending his losing streak at 5: "When you start a basho with a losing streak, you get the illusion that you're in bad shape, but I was able to face my difficult opponent without fear." 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

14 hours ago, yohcun said:

With the way he is going I think he’ll now make Ozeki even if we count this match out. Asanoyama and Mitakeumi look like the men to beat. 

Takakeisho? I half expected Mitakeumi to win today but never saw it being that one sided. Tomorrow will be telling. If he loses again then there has to be some injury holding him back. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Day 5 rikishi talk:

Hakuhou, unbeaten after 5 days, beating Tokushouryuu: "He was heavy. I have finished 5 days safely. I couldn't get rid of him easily, I guess. But it was perfect. This basho is all about grabbing my opponents."

It has also been about favoring/avoiding pressure on his right foot.  That has led to some of his erratic movements and prolonged matches.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wow, it was an epic battle (bout lengthwise) between Ichonojo and Kotonosho, the latter triumphing.

Mitoryu continues to disappoint.  

Terunofuji morozashied his way to his first loss.   

Kotoyuki loses without running over anyone in the crowd. 

Edited by robnplunder

Ex-Kotonowaka is still an imposing figure, :-o and looks like a proud dad.

Posted (edited)

The key match of the day between Mitakeumi and Asanoyama went to the former.  It could have easily gone to the Asanoyama.   Mitakeumi's 3rd yusho is on a perfect start.   

Speaking of perfection, a perfect henka by Ishiura (sorry, Tochinoshin).   A sparingly used henka can be very effective. 

Daeisho goes 3-3 against Sanyuku opponents.  Now he moves on to easier opponents.  He has been very consistent at his current level.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Tokushoryu with a nice Kinboshi over Kakuryu. Trying to show his Yusho was not a fluke!

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1

I’ve missed all the action today ... Tokushoryu got a kinboshi?! Nice.

8 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Tokushoryu with a nice Kinboshi over Kakuryu. Trying to show his Yusho was not a fluke!

Even though Hakuho managed to beat January's makujiro yusho winner, Tokushoryu, yesterday, he complimented his opponent's defensive skills.  

So despite today being Tokushoryu's first win of this tournament after five straight losses, it was a high-profile win indeed!

Props to the man from Nara! (Applauding...)

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

The key match of the day between Mitakeumi and Asanoyama went to the former.  It could have easily gone to the Asanoyama.   Mitakeumi's 3rd yusho is on a perfect start.

This may well end up being "the key match of the tournament" depending of course on who the frontrunners are going into day 15 senshuraku.  I was actually a little disappointed that they matched these two sekitori against each other so soon in the tournament.

Both men are looking very strong.  Today, Mitakeumi showed that he was stronger.  Did the fusen rest on day 5 throw Asanoyama off his game?  Whatever the reason, it looked pretty clear that as soon as Asanoyama lost his deadly left hand grip on Mitakeumi's mawashi, the bout was over for him.

And just as an update, AbemaTV was posting a memo that Asanoyama needs seven more wins for his promotion to Ozeki (i.e., a tournament total of 12 wins).  He'll have to wait until tomorrow's bout against Endo to see if he can get back on track.  No guarantees there...

7 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

This may well end up being "the key match of the tournament" depending of course on who the frontrunners are going into day 15 senshuraku.  I was actually a little disappointed that they matched these two sekitori against each other so soon in the tournament.

Both men are looking very strong.  Today, Mitakeumi showed that he was stronger.  Did the fusen rest on day 5 throw Asanoyama off his game?  Whatever the reason, it looked pretty clear that as soon as Asanoyama lost his deadly left hand grip on Mitakeumi's mawashi, the bout was over for him.

And just as an update, AbemaTV was posting a memo that Asanoyama needs seven more wins for his promotion to Ozeki (i.e., a tournament total of 12 wins).  He'll have to wait until tomorrow's bout against Endo to see if he can get back on track.  No guarantees there...

Mitakeumi's brief morozashi was the difference I think.   Tomorrow, it is Hakuho against Mitakeumi.  The winner may be the eventual yusho ta. ker.   I am a bit biased toward Mitakeumi.   He seems to be the better of the two in this basho.   Still, Hak at 80% may be good enough to beat Mitakeumi at 100%.   

• Like 1