robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

I KNEW there was something coming, when there were more than 2 minutes left for the last bout in Natto's video. It looks like Takayasu's knee tried to bend in the wrong direction. Painful to watch. I hope it didn't cause serious damage, but that looked really bad.

1 hour ago, Kyokufuji said:

3s7f2p.gif

If a rikishi falls in an empty arena, does he make a sound?

In any case, he doesn't display any attempt at apologizing to crushed Chiyoshoma, which I couldn't help smirking at. (Beinghypocrite...)

Omg....pooor, poor Takayasu. Bummer.

Asanoyama is looking great...He is my favorite for the yusho this time. Hak is in pain, i can see in his face. Kakuryu isnt heslthy. I guess Mita and Asa will compete for the macaroon this time
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Indeed, it is a left leg muscle tear for Takayasu, not his back as the commentators speculated on the broadcast.

According to Tagonoura Oyakata, his return is up in the air (I would imagine highly doubtful).

Source (Japanese only)

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

Day 4 rikishi talk:

Asanoyama, fourth straight win in his quest for Ozekihood: "The quality of my sumo was totally bad. I could not move forward. Patience, patience.. It was a victory through patience, no?"

Hakuhou, also 4-0: "I was waiting for it to become my style of sumo and when I felt it was I was able to attack perfectly. "

Tagonoura Oyakata on Takayasu's injury: "It's the left leg- a torn or pulled muscle. We don't know exactly until  we check to see how he will be.."

Kakuryuu, beating Takayasu after losing to him their last five meetings: "I was able to remain calm so that's good. I didn't rush it and tried not to do anything unnecessary.. the rest was in the flow.."

Takanoshou, his first ever 4 game winning streak from the start of a basho, beating Tochinoshin: "I was able to get that inside right hand grip skillfully. If I would have stopped, my opponent would certainly have been strong, so I thought I shouldn't stop and just move forward. I went about it being aware of the angle of my initial hit and its power."

Mitakeumi, 4th straight win, beating Yutakayama: "I was thinking that my opponent doesn't have a powerful tachiai. I thought if I did my normal tachiai, I should have no problems. My legs are moving ever forward!"

Yutakayama: "My tachiai wasn't that bad, but rikishi who yusho in Makuuchi are different."

Daieishou, beats Takakeishou for his first win of the basho: "This will give me confidence. I was able to move forward right after the initial hit. If I can show this kind of sumo I'll be able to ride the wave.."

Tokushouryuu, facing sanyaku guys since day 1 and losing all 4 bouts: " See you tomorrow again.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Asanoyama will go 5-0 after today against Takayasu (fusen?).   I like his chance at an Ozeki promotion after this basho.   

• Like 2

Defeating Akiseyama is not something to write home about, but Chiyootori has looked slightly better than last time. He is a bit too heavy but has shown more agility. I have no idea if Hoshoryu will ever reach great things, but his sumo is a joy to watch. He is supple, but at the same time stable and strong. 

Tsurugisho's physical condition has improved very little since January, if at all. It is a bit painful to watch . It is also painful to see both Kotoshogiku and Tokushoryu struggling as expected.  Unlike other veterans at this stage, Kotoshogiku acted very focused, but it won't be enough. Speaking of veterans, I watched Fujiazuma for the first time in a looong time. It looks rather unlikely, but a comeback to the paid ranks would be nice.

47 minutes ago, shumitto said:

Defeating Akiseyama is not something to write home about, but Chiyootori has looked slightly better than last time.

It's funny watching Akiseyama this basho. He looks pretty limber and is moving around better than usual. Yet he's losing. He actually seems like he does better when he looks tired IMO. Weird.

• Like 1

It is fun to watch Hoshoryu.  He has different techniques.  It seems though, he can use more weight (in the right places of course).  I've seen him being manhandled by bigger opponent too often.

My early pick for the yusho, Takakeisho, is looking more and more unlikely but I won’t write him off until he loses once more. But I did not see today’s loss coming. 

I’ll join the consensus in praising Asanoyama and Mitakeumi though and making them my backup picks for the yusho. Hakuho isn’t convincing me with his wins and I see him tapering off a bit in the second week (watch him prove me wrong). Both Asanoyama and Mitakeumi though look like they have all the momentum in the world. 

Just posted in the corona thread, but the NBA has suspended the season after a player tested positive. I would be surprised at this point if this basho makes it to senshuraku.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Just posted in the corona thread, but the NBA has suspended the season after a player tested positive. I would be surprised at this point if this basho makes it to senshuraku.

I think it will complete.  Even if someone goes kyujo due to high temperature, he is not likely to be tested for COVID 19.   Japan's policy of testing COVID 19 is very restrictive - 4 days of high temperature + other conditions have to be met to be tested.  Moreover, there seems to be a day or two turnaround time for the result to come back.    And It is day 5 already.  So, unless a rikishi clearly shows a severe symptom of COVID 19 & tested quickly,  the show will go on.  But I can be wrong.   

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

I think it will complete.  Even if someone goes kyujo due to high temperature, he is not likely to be tested for COVID 19.   Japan's policy of testing COVID 19 is very restrictive - 4 days of high temperature + other conditions have to be met to be tested.  Moreover, there seems to be a day or two turnaround time for the result to come back.    And It is day 5 already.  So, unless a rikishi clearly shows a severe symptom of COVID 19 & tested quickly,  the show will go on.  But I can be wrong.   

I was thinking more along the lines of the reverberations from the NBA season suspension. Major League Baseball and College Basketball tourney will likely follow suit, other sports will follow, and there may be global pressure for all sporting events to cease operation for the time being.

In either case, we should probably take any further speculation over to the corona discussion thread.

Amazing win by Terutsuyoushi against Tochinoshin!    Made me jump out of my sofa.

• Like 2

Classic Hokutofuji against Daieisho - much flailing around but no impact.

Asanoyama gets the freebie in his Ozeki quest. What's the word on Takayasu?

Just now, Kaninoyama said:

Takakeisho looks awful this basho.

Looking like faux-zeki.

Mitakeumi pushes out Takakeisho  on his way to 5 straight wins.   10 wins to go.

Takakeisho has not done his sumo in this basho.  ???

7 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Asanoyama gets the freebie in his Ozeki quest. What's the word on Takayasu?

Left thigh injury. Four weeks of rest and treatment required. 

• Thanks 1

No yusho for Takakeisho this time by the looks of it. That recent injury playing up again? 

LOL.  Tokushoryu's best showing so far in the loss to Hakkuho.   No yusho for Tokushoryu this time :-P.   Ditto for Shodai.

58 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

LOL.  Tokushoryu's best showing so far in the loss to Hakkuho.   No yusho for Tokushoryu this time :-P.   Ditto for Shodai.

If Tokushoryu isn't careful he's going to soon enter Kyokutenho territory. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Asanoyama will go 5-0 after today against Takayasu (fusen?).   I like his chance at an Ozeki promotion after this basho.   

Like Jabbamaru, I see this tournament as a race between Asanoyama and Mitakeumi.  I am, however, a little disappointed that these two hopefuls will face off tomorrow (day 6), which means that one of them will have to play catch-up.  The other issue is that Asanoyama's momentum may be thrown off by his fusen victory today.  That would be a shame, but Mitakeumi is looking good at the moment.  There was no doubt in my mind that he would defeat Takakeisho today.

Furthermore, the fusen victory that Asanoyama got today may affect the number of wins he will need for Ozeki promotion.  On day 1, John Gunning speculated that 10 wins would be sufficient, given the solitary Ozeki situation on the banzuke.  However, the fusen win today will most likely mean that 11 wins will be the bare minimum required for Asanoyama's promotion.

Then again, the Kyokai may be extra desperate if Takakeisho goes kadoban after this tournament ends.  Takakeisho's 2 wins and 3 losses is not an Ozeki-worthy record at this stage in the tournament.  MK is a strong possibility IMHO.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Left thigh injury. Four weeks of rest and treatment required. 

I heard the announcer on AbemaTV's broadcast today mention "hamstring".  In hindsight (pun not initially intended), Takayasu's acrobatic straight-left-leg-palm-down-on-ring (think beyond touching one's toes)  loss yesterday corresponds with the announced injury.

I'm somewhat relieved that it is treatable, but it also means Takayasu could possibly drop down to Juryo when and if he returns...  sigh.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Thanks 1