robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

Wow, what a win by Hakyuozan vs Chiyonoumi!  It must be a rare kimarite.

Harimanage. Backward belt throw. Baruto once did a pretty cool one of those, if memory serves.

Edit: Three apparently. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Looks like an unfortunate nasty left ankle sprain for Chiyotairyuu. Looked pretty serious but he insisted it was "daijoubu" to a reporter in back.

Edited by Kaninoyama

47 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Looks like an unfortunate nasty left ankle sprain for Chiyotairyuu. Looked pretty serious but he insisted it was "daijoubu" to a reporter in back.

Only a failed temperature check will stop him ;-).

Mitakeumi had another impressive win and moves to 4-0.  11 more wins to go.  

Takayasu looks like he is seriously injured, likely his knee.

Kak, Hak took a long time to dispatch their opponents, a trend of late.

Posted (edited)

Takayasu re-injured his back (it appeared) and had to be wheeled back. He was literally screaming in pain. Hope he is OK.

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Sad 4

Takayasu, noooooooooooooooooooo!

Takayasu put up a really good fight against Yokozuna-Ozeki Kakuryu.  It almost looked as though he might get a gold star victory.  Kakuryu had his hands full since Takayasu was desperate for a shonichi win after starting this tournament with three straight losses.  But in his state of desperation, Takayasu ended up seriously injuring himself (left knee?).  He stayed belly down on the ring despite several efforts to clear him away for the bow twirling ritual.  

Thankfully, he did eventually get up with plenty of assistance, and was wheeled out on a wheelchair.  The length of time that he stayed down was definitely not for show.  In fact, I approve of the trend not to rush wrestlers back up onto their feet.  But I also wonder if Takayasu's screams and inability to get up had something to do with him fearing that his career in oozumo was even more in jeopardy as a result of this new injury!

I think everyone felt his pain!  I sure did.

• Sad 1

That Takayasu injury looked very... Ryuden. The fact that he could barely move is very worrying, like it wasn't "just" his arm or leg.

I'm a mad Takayasu fan and I'm insanely scared. That looked potentially career-ending. 

Hopefully I'm just reacting emotionally in the moment and it's not as bad as it seemed. I just don't see him as the type to accept an extended period going down the ranks.

Poor Tokushoryu is not thriving at these rarified levels. I had hoped he'd at least win a few but he is getting owned on a daily basis. Still, only one of the four who have beat him so far have won a yusho, so there's that. But tomorrow he faces the Boss...

Posted (edited)

I quite enjoyed today's sumo, until Takayasu started screaming on the dohyo. Injuries are a part of sumo, but still, I hate to see it happen. Even worse, I hate to see badly injured rikishi forced to stand up and hobble to a wheelchair! When are they going to get a bloody stretcher? 

Ok, rant over...

---

How does someone Ishiura's size ragdoll someone Chiyotairyu's size all over the dohyo? I watched it happen in disbelief. Ishiura is looking great again. Shame about the uncontrolled and nasty looking fall. I hope it's not too bad.

I thought Sadanoumi had Kiribayama, but nope. Had to watch the replay to see it wasn't an actual utchari. I liked his boss back in the day, and I think I'm going to like Kiribayama.

What was Tamawashi thinking of, trying to get into a belt battle with Takarafuji? It looked very peculiar and the outcome was predictable.

Onosho is looking better than he has for a while. Loved that turnaround win against Ryuden - that's what butsugari-geiko is for, I suppose.

Ok, Daieisho beating Takakeisho at his own game... I did not see that coming!

After describing him as wild yesterday, Hakuho was all calm, patient mastery today - just to make me a liar, I suppose. He was going to get that left uwate grip no matter how long it took, and when he did... looked to me like he slightly lifted Okinoumi over the bales. 

---

By the way, when I describe Hakuho being on his last legs, I mean in terms of his yokozuna career, and in the knowledge that he is going to retire this year (probably just after the Olympics or maybe day 3 of Aki). How do I know this? He went on TV and said he was retiring this year, which tells me he's already agreed with the Kyokai the schedule for his transition from yokozuna to ichidai toshiyori status. His oft-stated wish to be in the opening ceremony of the Olympics gives us the likely timetable. 

---

PS. Glad to see Kotonowaka getting some wins. Totally different shape to his dad (whose 1st appearance in makuuchi I also saw), but I'm not sure about that weird double moob thing he's got going on. If I were two years old, my mum would be telling me not to stare...

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

By the way, when I describe Hakuho being on his last legs, I mean in terms of his yokozuna career, and in the knowledge that he is going to retire this year (probably just after the Olympics or maybe day 3 of Aki). How do I know this? He went on TV and said he was retiring this year, which tells me he's already agreed with the Kyokai the schedule for his transition from yokozuna to ichidai toshiyori status. His oft-stated wish to be in the opening ceremony of the Olympics gives us the likely timetable. 

Imagine this year's Olympics being c(oron)ancelled and Hakuho continuing winning yushos until the next time they're scheduled for Japan.  @Peterao surely could. B-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just seen the day’s bouts. Man, Takayasu ... that’s him done for the basho, if not in fact for a very long time. Knee ligaments maybe? Kakuryu looked quite distressed about it. 

Poor Takayasu just can't catch a break...

In juryo there was an amazing move by Tobizaru against Wakatakakage. I've seen many wrestlers do a 360 spin around but never that fast and he pulled it off against one of the quickest men in the sport. "Here's my back, push me out... Too slow sucker!"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Wow, what a win by Hakyuozan vs Chiyonoumi!  It must be a rare kimarite.

Harimanage

Looks like used 95 times since 1950.

I think the lack of a crowd is going to hurt the fan-favorites latter in the tournament. Many athletes really do get a boost in confidence and adrenaline from cheering fans. I remember running track, and the meets where I could hear people cheering for me were my best performances. There's definitely something psychological about it. 

Also, is anyone else worried that Tochiozan is going to go down to get set for the tachiai and never get up? That man squats so slow! I swear, without the crowd, I can hear his knees slowly screaming "stoooop" each time he gets set... 

4 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

In juryo there was an amazing move by Tobizaru against Wakatakakage. I've seen many wrestlers do a 360 spin around but never that fast and he pulled it off against one of the quickest men in the sport. "Here's my back, push me out... Too slow sucker!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

How does someone Ishiura's size ragdoll someone Chiyotairyu's size all over the dohyo?

Chiyotairyu has a strong habit doing „backward sumo“. Looked like Ishiura took advantage of the momentum.

Edited by Gospodin

Is this yusho-mode Mitakeumi or am I mistaken? Also did he lose some weight? I thought he was at around 180 last basho and now he's at 175 kg if the numbers are correct. Anyway, very strong sumo so far.

Mitakeumi does look like he's well on his way to his 7 wins. 

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, yohcun said:

Very weird, that Mitoryu - Akua bout. It's almost like Akua took a soccer-style dive off the ring to fake being dame-oshi'd.

3s7f2p.gif

If a rikishi falls in an empty arena, does he make a sound?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, sekitori said:

The fact that Hakuho doesn't overwhelm his opponents in a few seconds means nothing. He simply waits for them to make a mistake and he takes advantage of it. His bouts against Daiesho and Takayasu ware never in doubt. Not bad for a rikishi whose skills are on the decline and who  is on his "last legs". Despite his age and some nagging injuries, he's still far better than anyone else. 

If he cared to, I believe he could go on for a couple more years. He probably would have to go kyujo on occasion because of his injuries, but  he would still be good for even more  yushos. However, that won't happen. After the Olympics (if they will be held at all), I expect him to retire. This forum will then see virtually everyone, including his detractors, comment on how much they will miss following the greatest yokozuna ever. 

I agree with every word of that. Although Mitakeumi and Asanoyama aren't far behind in my estimate, Hakuho is my current favorite to yusho. Should be interesting matches between the Hakuho and some of the top contenders.

Oh, and I wonder how much my Tokyo Olympics t-shirt's going to be worth... Maybe I should stop wearing it. :)

• Like 1