robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Much more entertaining sumo on display today, IMO. Some notables: One of the most impressive displays I've ever seen from Enho against Ryuden. That was some brilliant sumo. Shodai looking determined and coming at his adversary with a stronger-than-erstwhile (albeit rather high) tachiai, throwsTakayasu down convincingly with sukuinage. Asanoyama displaying impressive decidedly Ozeki-like tendencies in overpowering Tokushoryu. Okinoumi gets inside and on Takayasu's belt and puts dirt on him. Terunofuji sent Tobizaru on a very long run into the empty stands. Like sent him out for milk and eggs, long. FInally, ushiromotare? Worth the price of admission just based on teh rarity factor.

As soon as they announced the format I christened this the Bizarre Basho, and I have to hold with that after watching the Day 1 highlights. It is so strange to hear the gyoji's every syllable, and to hear the rikishi's grunts and stomps. Clearly on Day 1 some wrestlers were more affected by the absence of the crowd than others. We shall see how everyone adjust moving forward. 

Maybe they should have let 10% of the audience still come and spaced them out, just so that there would be some folks in the stands cheering.

• Haha 1

Did they stage-manage having all the reporters and ring officials react in unison to Terutsuyoshi's salt ball throw? It's kind of awesome if so.

1 hour ago, Kaminariyuki said:

As soon as they announced the format I christened this the Bizarre Basho, and I have to hold with that after watching the Day 1 highlights. It is so strange to hear the gyoji's every syllable, and to hear the rikishi's grunts and stomps. Clearly on Day 1 some wrestlers were more affected by the absence of the crowd than others. We shall see how everyone adjust moving forward. 

Maybe they should have let 10% of the audience still come and spaced them out, just so that there would be some folks in the stands cheering.

Sounds like you are inspired by the COVID-19 containment policies introduced in Northern Italy, i.e., restaurants can operate as long as they ensure a 1-metre distance between customers!  See how well that is going over!  

But on a slightly more serious note, just how much money is the JSA haemorrhaging by lost ticket revenue?!!!

48 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

But on a slightly more serious note, just how much money is the JSA haemorrhaging by lost ticket revenue?!!!

I could do a rough estimate, but I'll restrain myself. Suffice it to say, given that it's as expensive as going to Disney (or close), we're talking real money. PM Abe put the NSK in a bad spot on that count. They'd have looked seriously bad if they'd had the audience and then a further outbreak were traced to sumo attendence.

• Like 1

Midorifuji has quite the homemade MMA gloves! Fingers free above the knuckles, but thicker in the wrist and palm than Kotoyuki's.

21 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I can't believe Enho has Ryuden's number.  He's now 3-0 against the tall dude.   

Is he? Enho vs Ryuden is 2-0 according to sumodb... 

Nobody mentioned Kiribayama vs Tamawashi yet... Both mongolian, a (relative) newcomer and a veteran.
I loved that firm push by Kiribayama that made Tamawashi lose! It looked way too easy... :D 

21 minutes ago, Wakaebala said:

Is he? Enho vs Ryuden is 2-0 according to sumodb... 

You are correct.  It is 2-0.

43 minutes ago, Wakaebala said:

It looked way too easy... :D

That's Kiribayama's style, he doesn't waste much effort and favours the HNH. He also now has 5 okuridashi wins in his last 13 matches.

• Like 3

Ishiura off to a good start this basho. 3-0. Nice shitatehineri win over Tochiozan there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Nice shitatehineri win over Tochiozan there.

A very exciting match. Watching live I thought Ishiura had stepped out but he actually showed some great survival skills on the bales. Tochiozan can still go, but his days as a sanyaku regular are long gone and they're not coming back. He might be asking ex-Bushuyama for his kabu back before too long.

Tochiozan had a few chances to finish Ishiura off but couldn't.    Another impressive showing by Takanosho.   

I have the TV on mute.  The silence was deafening.   

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, Kaninoyama said:

Enho and Yutakayama just played a game of "let's make a tunnel."

Haha. I had the same thought! Reminded me of a thing we do at the end of weddings where the Bride and Groom walk under everyone's arms.

Mono-ii? Do they need to go to the middle of the ring? It's not like there's anyone in the crowd to eavesdrop or noise drowning them out. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

It was an awkward dance.   Yutakayama had all the chances to slap Enho harder but he decided to be nice.   Shohozan would not have shown any mercy.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Reminded me of a pro-wrestling "test of strength".

• Like 2

As I have guessed, Mitakeumi beat Shodai to even their record at 10-10.  IMHO, Mitakeumi looked stronger of the two in this basho so far.   12 more wins to go for Mitakeumi.

Tokushoryu is paying for his yusho and the promotion.  He will go MK for sure.

Posted (edited)

Kimura Tamajiro calls the completed matches "Shoubu atta". Have never heard that clearly until this basho.

*except that time I posted about it in 2004. (Thinkingindepth...)

For some reason the more common "shoubu ari" has been all I've heard in ages (勝負 有り).

Edited by Otokonoyama
  • Like 1

Hakuho made his opponent look good again while beating him.   There seems to be no end for Takayasu's fall.   

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Hakuho made his opponent look good again while beating him.   There seems to be no end for Takayasu's fall. 

Takayasu's ongoing crash and burn is, in a word, distressing.  What happened to the Takayasu who won his second straight Japan Sumo Tournament championship just last month?!!  Certain Forum members contended that that annual tournament was a true test of sumo, but then why can't Takayasu replicate his success there in this honbasho?  

It has got to the point where I am thinking Takayasu should never have told his fiancée that he would only marry her once he wins an actual championship.  Seems as though subconsciously, he doesn't actually want to get married... ;-)

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today was the day that Kakaryu reminded everyone why he is actually a Yokozuna - that was beautiful belt sumo and Okinoumi had no way to deal with it. Completely comprehensive win.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Otokonoyama said:

Kimura Tamajiro calls the completed matches "Shoubu atta". Have never heard that clearly until this basho.

*except that time I posted about it in 2004. (Thinkingindepth...)

For some reason the more common "shoubu ari" has been all I've heard in ages (勝負 有り).

It's great to hear everything so clearly.  Reminds me of my sumo clock!  (It's like the one that's in this video). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Morty said:

Today was the day that Kakaryu reminded everyone why he is actually a Yokozuna - that was beautiful belt sumo and Okinoumi had no way to deal with it. Completely comprehensive win.

I’m relieved as much as celebratory every time he wins. Really want him to stick around at all costs. Can’t imagine Sumo otherwise.

• Like 1