robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

5 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Hakuho flattened Endo pretty much as expected, but he looked to be walking very gingerly back to the bales. Another toe/foot injury?

He always does those days, I don´t think it´s worse than usual.

Chris Gould's take on the day's proceedings. Seems to belong here in the discussion thread rather than the videos thread.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

Chris Gould's take on the day's proceedings. Seems to belong here in the discussion thread rather than the videos thread.

Interesting take. But I am always amazed at how often his videos are a bit off. I mean how does anyone spend that much time to think of what to say, record it, gather all those pictures and do all that editing AND then not use a single photo from the actual day of the basho the entire video is about. Surreal.

24 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Interesting take. But I am always amazed at how often his videos are a bit off. I mean how does anyone spend that much time to think of what to say, record it, gather all those pictures and do all that editing AND then not use a single photo from the actual day of the basho the entire video is about. Surreal.

Well, it fits in with his eccentric Englishman abroad schtick, doesn't it? (Which I like, btw.)

He's said in previous videos that he likes to use his own photos and video footage where possible, just to make his channel different to others - but that wasn't really an option today...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RabidJohn said:

He's said in previous videos that he likes to use his own photos and video footage where possible, just to make his channel different to others - but that wasn't really an option today...

I’ve heard this too, I think he’s concerned about copyright and going out of his way to make sure his channel won’t be messed with by NSK or anyone else.

Posted (edited)

One thing I (think) I noticed yesterday was that they haven’t put out cushions around the dohyo where spectators would usually be. It looks like it’s hard flooring with some sharp edges on the floorboards. Normally a rikishi falling out the ring has the front row to act as a brake and shock absorber if they take a fall. Without that I wonder if either we’ll see some injuries there or more cautious sumo at the edge. They really should have put something down to compensate for the lack of human cushion.

Edited by Eikokurai

Day 1 felt like I was watching an old school golf tournament

• Haha 1

I actually suspect we'll see less injuries as fighters ejected from the dohyo will be able to breakfall naturally and let their momentum dissipate on it own, as opposed to mincing and gingerly sidestepping elderly ringside spectators. If my hypothesis proves correct, I hope the NSK will take notice and consider making changes to ringside seating arrangements. But they would never do that, would they?

19 minutes ago, since_94 said:

I actually suspect we'll see less injuries as fighters ejected from the dohyo will be able to breakfall naturally and let their momentum dissipate on it own, as opposed to mincing and gingerly sidestepping elderly ringside spectators. If my hypothesis proves correct, I hope the NSK will take notice and consider making changes to ringside seating arrangements. But they would never do that, would they?

Or maybe more injuries, without a nice, soft cushion of senior citizens to break their fall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

One day in the books and I’m glad sumo is back. Like someone else mentioned, the lack of a crowd is an interesting twist but after an few more days it may be less interesting and more odd and take away from the viewing fun. But for now I’ll take it. 

One thing I’ve noticed in the past and would be happy to get an answer on, when Hakuho wins sometimes when he accepts his prize money he does so standing on the bales themselves rather than on the dohyo dirt. Is there any significance to this? I’ve never noticed the other rikishi so this, and even Hakuho doesn’t seem to do it as much anymore. Just one of those sumo questions I’ve had for a while but never had a way of finding an answer to. 

Edited by Katsunorifuji

18 hours ago, Morty said:

Wakanohana's eternally smiling face and engaging explanations of what was going on got me interested. I had no clue what he was saying but he was clearly enjoying it which helped me enjoy it more. Still, 15 days of a quiet empty arena might kill the novelty a bit.

I love his explanation by demonstration.  He also looks like a normal guy, unlike his evil brother.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Ura a bully at the current level.  ;-)

Edited by robnplunder

Posted (edited)

Another convincing win by Midorifuji (a clean headshot to the opponent's chin did it :-)).

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mt fuji said:

I’ve heard this too, I think he’s concerned about copyright and going out of his way to make sure his channel won’t be messed with by NSK or anyone else.

Please continue any discussion of fair-use media & copyright issues here:

Posted (edited)

Is Roga for real?

Terunofuji fought off Tobirazu's morozashi attempts and went 2-0.   He's the next Mongolian Ozeki, methinks ;-).

That must have been a rare kimarite win by Hidenoumi.

Edited by robnplunder

Chiyoshoma's victory is greeted by chilly silence. Business as usual then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

Is Roga for real?

Terunofuji fought off Tobirazu's morozashi attempts and went 2-0.   He's the next Mongolian Ozeki, methinks ;-).

That must have been a rare kimarite win by Hidenoumi.

Ushiromotare. I remember Takamisakari winning by that once. I don’t recall another incidence of it right now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Ushiromotare. I remember Takamisakari winning by that once. I don’t recall another incidence of it right now.

I think on the broadcast they said not since Kitaharima 8 years ago. 

Edited by Kaninoyama

I can't believe Enho has Ryuden's number.  He's now 3-0 against the tall dude.   

Mitakeumi is 2-0.  13 more wins to go.

5 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

I think on the broadcast they said not since Kitaharima 8 years ago. 

The database shows 8 (will now be 9) cases in Makuuchi ranging from July 2004 to January 2016. Toyohibiki was the last apparently. 

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

The database shows 8 (will now be 9) cases in Makuuchi ranging from July 2004 to January 2016. Toyohibiki was the last apparently. 

I guess I heard wrong.

It was over once Okinoumi got a firm grip on Takakeisho's mawashi.

A great loss by Daieisho!  Respect.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Kakuryu the first Yok down. Perfectly executed pressure and containment by Hokutofuji.

Edited by Otokonoyama

Looks like another wide open tournament.  The guys at the top of the banzuke are struggling.  Takakeisho, the lone Ozeki, has no belt game, and shouldn't be allowing his opponents inside.  Hakuho, the lone Yokozuna, really had to struggle to defeat Daieisho, and was covered in sweat after their bout.  And Kakuryu, the lone Yokozuna-Ozeki, had no answer for Hokutofuji's intensity.  Not sure what to make of Michinoku Oyakata's comments that Kakuryu's back condition shouldn't be a problem if he simply does some stretching...  Just mentioning that seems to me to suggest that Kakuryu's back is still an issue.

I'm happy that both Kiribayama and Enho bounced back after their Day 1 losses.

• Like 3