robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Surely 10-5, 11-4J, 10-5, 11-4 is enough to promote Asanoyama to Ozeki

Posted (edited)

According to the NHK announcers, Asanoyama's Ozeki promotion is a done deal.

Edited by Kaninoyama

33 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:

Surely 10-5, 11-4J, 10-5, 11-4 is enough to promote Asanoyama to Ozeki

It is.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Sounds like Asanoyama's Ozeki promotion is official. Kyokai indicated it'll move ahead in recommending promotion. 

Yes, Nikkan reporting it as confirmed. Well, "effectively".

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

So, the basho ended up like a normal one except for the kyujo audience. Yokozuna showdown on senshuraku, the GOAT took it home, 3 sansho for 3 rikishi...

Wait..... no sansho for that guy down there who managed to score 8 losses zenpai while his peers got 7 at most?! (Sakke...)

1 hour ago, Otokonoyama said:

This didn't age well.

I don't quite follow. Takakeisho acted as expected today is all I can say. Or is it the previous days you had in mind?

At the start of this tournament, Mitakeumi looked like he was back, and out for sumo blood.  Then, in the second half of the tournament he began to struggle.  When he was wrongly (?) handed a loss (to Takanosho) by the gyoji on day 14, I felt his chances for a Special Prize were dashed.  And Takanosho, obviously moved much more in contention for one.    What would the Sansho decision have been had Mitakeumi moved to 11-3 on day 14, and Takaknosho had been 10-4?  Would the Sansho committee still have given Takanosho the Fighting Spirit Prize, and overlooked Mitakeumi?  It would have been a much more difficult decision IMHO.

However, watching todays' bouts, Mitakeumi had "0" fighting spirit, whereas Takanosho had fighting spirit to spare!  So while I was unhappy with the decision made based on the first 14 days, I am comfortable saying that Takanosho deserved the Fighting Spirit Prize more than Mitakeumi!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

When you look at the final day's torikumi bouts, there were a total of eight Top Division wrestlers with 7-7 records.  In their wisdom (and efforts to curb suspicion of yaocho) the Judges Committee matched six of those eight against one another, making those bouts a do-or-die affair.  The other two wrestlers with 7-7 records were Endo and Takaeisho.  Seeing Endo paired against M7e Takarafuji, who already had his 8th win, made me think that this would end up being an Endo win/KK.  Surprisingly, Takarafuji executed some skilful sumo and sent the Komusubi right off the ring!  Straight up sumo, that was.  And the pairing of in-danger-of-kadoban Ozeki, Takakeisho with Ozeki-hopeful Sekiwake Asanoyama was sheer senshuraku-bout brilliance.  Each man had his fate squarely in his own hands.  Takakeisho lacked the necessary confidence to get his 8th win, and Asanoyama showed pretty decent technique to get his 11th win and seal Ozeki promotion.  

It was a win for Asanoyama and a win for the Kyokai (heck, it was a win for John Gunning too ;-)).  The banzuke's balance will be restored with two Ozeki in May.  Now, all that remains to be seen is whether Takakeisho can regroup and/or heal so that he can save "his" elite status next time around...

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

So where does this put Asanoyama in the record books? 25 bashos under his mawashi since debut, though he did enter as Sandanme tsukedashi. 16 basho in Makuuchi, just three in Sanyaku (all kachikoshi, obviously).

Assuming I've set the parameters correctly, an Ozeki promotion for Asanoyama makes him the first since Miyabiyama in 2000 to pass through junior sanyaku in three tournaments.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&columns=4&n_basho=4&form1_rank=K-S&form1_debutr=on&form2_rank=K-S&form3_rank=K-S&form4_rank=O&form4_debutr=on

Special mention of course to Terunofuji who only spent two basho in sanyaku en route to Ozeki.

(I'm not sure my search is entirely accurate because Hokutenyu is listed but his Ozeki run didn't start with his debut at Komusubi or Sekiwake. He'd held Komusubi rank before.)

Edited by Eikokurai

Good basho, only 2 kyujo, everything went better than expected. The sounds of sumo were fascinating! All the huffing and puffing, grunting and slapping, headbanging  (nothing i really want to hear) and feet shoving, very cool. It was especially nice to watch the ceremonies in the end. The commentators already said the TV ratings were pretty high, i'm looking forward to the numbers. Although there was some controversy i think they managed it well and it was a good basho for sumo in general. I can't find the right words for how symbolic and comforting this must have been for many japanese. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

A dull end to a dull basho. at least we got a new ozeki to be happy about.

This stupid virus better die by next basho. I can't stand this empty arena thing.

A Yokozuna yusho showdown on senshuraku and a 7-7 Ozeki facing an Ozeki promotion candidate is a dull end? You're hard to please!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Rikishi talk final day:

Hakuhou, clinching his 44th yusho on senshuraku:

Q: You took control of the Yokozuna battle..

A: It feels like it's over now.. I was able to keep calm and move well.

Q: Looking back at this basho..

A: The first day felt strange. I wondered where I can get my motivation from, the ups and downs were wild..

Q: So what was the motivation?

A: It wasn't only me, everyone felt that. I am relieved.

Q: 35 and still going strong..

A: Having had this experience with a  no- audience basho makes me hope that I can make use of it (the experience) in my sumo life..

Takasago Oyakata on Asanoyama : "He has added  some strength, but he still is no match for the Yokozunae. There are a lot of things he needs to polish. The difference between Sekiwake and Ozeki is that you cannot bow down. You need to win decisively. In order to win, he has to brush up on his tachiai!!"

Terunofuji, facing a Makuuchi re-promotion: "I'm going to start keiko very soon in order to try to get a sansho prize next basho. The question is, will I be promoted? Please promote me.."

Kotonowaka, beating ex-Ozeki Tochinoshin and going 9-6: "I wasn't thinking of the fact that I was a new Makuuchi, I just felt that I wanted to catch up to my grandfather (ex-Yokozuna Kotozakura) and father! (ex-Sekiwake Kotonowaka)"

Kagayaki, beating Meisei and getting three straight kachikoshis in Makuuchi for the first time: "I'm happy. I was calm. I'm a bit better at not falling apart.."

Enhou,6-9 at his highest career rank: "Disappointing. I'll take this result as an incentive for me to do better. and go back to doing different sumo next basho.."

Yutakayama, kachikoshi after a reversal of the gyoji's decision: "It sure took me a while. The only good thing was the win. I'm happy I somehow managed to win.."

Chiyomaru, makekoshi after missing three days: "The beginning was good and it makes me wonder if I would have done better if not for the kyujo. What can I do. Time is time.."

Tokushouryuu, last basho's champ and 11 losses this time: "I told myself I shouldn't feel any pressure, but just couldn't win. I'm still not good enough.and my feeling is weak.."

Kotoshougiku, 6th straight makekoshi: "I will try to benefit from this experience. I will look hard at myself and make this an opportunity to better myself."

Aoiyama, 11 wins and first gino -sho : "It's not only about the wins. I was able to move forward and use my tsuppari. I think that's  what brought about the results.."

Takakeishou, losing to Asanoyama and makekoshi, kadoban for the second time: "Regardless if the fans are there or not, you need to generate power. I want to add more power until the next basho!"

Ounoshou, getting the shukunsho for beating Hakuhou on day 10: "Deep inside, I think that win was a huge turning point for me. i tried out a lot of things, but it's finally come together!"

Takanoshou, beating Shoudai and getting his 13th win and the kanto-sho fighting spirit prize: "I feel I gave all I had. I was able to concentrate on my own sumo this basho. Next basho, I want to become a rikishi that can hold his own in the joi ranks!"

Kakuryuu, losing on the last day in the match for the yusho, coming off three straight kyujos: "The end left a bad aftertaste.. A new Ozeki? That's the natural progression."

Asanoyama, his Ozeki promotion 99% sealed, beating Takakeishou today: "I was able to patiently move forward, ever forward. I felt I was moving forward constantly. I was able to face this basho as if nothing was different. I am thankful. After losing yesterday, deep inside I felt I blew my chance for the promotion. I still don't feel anything. That will probably come when I see the next banzuke or when they will come calling.. I just hope we will have an audience next basho so they can cheer me on.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8

3 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I don't quite follow. Takakeisho acted as expected today is all I can say. Or is it the previous days you had in mind?

Five ginboshi given away and a makekoshi. No other ozeki to compete against. Six others in the joi makekoshi, seven if the injured Takayasu is included. 

Posted (edited)
Just now, Kintamayama said:

he still is no match for the Yokozunae

Harsh! He was definitely a match for Kakuryu and while he lost to Hakuho fairly easily, he didn't get totally steamrolled.

P.S. 12 wins for Takanosho, not 13. :)

Edited by Eikokurai

3 hours ago, hakutorizakura said:

So, the basho ended up like a normal one except for the kyujo audience.

So, does this mean that the audience is now kadoban? I hope they turn up for at least eight days whenever the next basho is held....

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Just now, Sue said:

So, does this mean that the audience is now kadoban? I hope they turn up for at least eight days whenever the next basho is held....

0-15 kyujo. I think they've been demoted to Makushita. In May the third division will get the biggest crowds its ever seen.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Takasago Oyakata on Asanoyama : "He has added  some strength, but he still is no match for the Yokozunae. There are a lot of things he needs to polish. The difference between Sekiwake and Ozeki is that you cannot bow down. You need to win decisively. In order to win, he has to brush up on his tachiai!!"

Takasago has always been dismissed as some kind of dimwit, but his assessment of Asanoyama's current situation reflects my own perfectly. He's going to be a fine Ozeki (by recent standards), but he's still a raw gem with a tendency of falling apart.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

Five ginboshi given away and a makekoshi. No other ozeki to compete against. Six others in the joi makekoshi, seven if the injured Takayasu is included. 

It's increasingly difficult to read your intentions, but here's my guess: You're basically implying that Takakeisho is still suffering from his year old injury, which didn't seem to bother him last basho all that much?

4 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

It's increasingly difficult to read your intentions, but here's my guess: You're basically implying that Takakeisho is still suffering from his year old injury, which didn't seem to bother him last basho all that much?

My intentions? That sounds way more nefarious than it needs to. I suspect he is affected by his injury last year, and will continue to be. Just like many other rikishi are affected by their own injuries. He seems to be managing it better than the former Kisenosato did. Yet he does not have the same raw pushing power he once did. Time will tell how well he deals with that. In that same vein, your suggestion of premature predictions is a bit, well, premature.

• Like 1

I'm still sticking to my to my four-months-old opinion that nobody around here could actually know what's troubling him, either physically or mentally, especially in the current situation of Corona Basho. Having a bad basho doesn't always need an obvious explanation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Benihana said:

Good basho, only 2 kyujo, everything went better than expected. The sounds of sumo were fascinating! All the huffing and puffing, grunting and slapping, headbanging  (nothing i really want to hear) and feet shoving, very cool. It was especially nice to watch the ceremonies in the end. The commentators already said the TV ratings were pretty high, i'm looking forward to the numbers. Although there was some controversy i think they managed it well and it was a good basho for sumo in general. I can't find the right words for how symbolic and comforting this must have been for many japanese. 

Fully agree with you on this.  Just a small point: there were technically 3 kyujo in the Top Division (Tsurugisho, Takayasu, and Chiyomaru), and probably a bunch more in the lower divisions.  I suspect you were basing your statement on the fact that Chiyomaru returned to action after three days, but a kyujo is a kyujo.

As for the what was special about this tournament, fans could focus on the various rituals involved in oozumo tournaments without the distraction of the crowds.  In other words, the rituals stood out more than usual, both visually and audibly.  On top of that, the empty stadium allowed TV cameramen to get some never-before-seen camera angles.  It was a rare treat.

On the torikumi front, we actually got to see some pretty good sumo.  Things may have started off a little rough, but the quality definitely shot up in the last three days or so.  Sumo fans have been deprived of seeing Yokozuna-on-Yokozuna action for quite a few tournaments,.  Whenever it does occur (especially if Hakuho is involved), fans are getting to see the best that sumo has to offer.  That alone is worth the cost of admission.

And lastly, we got to see how well the Japanese can organise sporting events.  The recent Rugby World Cup was a prime example.  The biz-haru basho was no exception.  

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

After Hatsu someone on here was adamant Kakuryu must retire. I’m glad he doesn’t follow the forum because he’s shown this tournament that he’s got plenty left in the tank. 

I’ve lost count of the number of times Kakuryu has been written off around here. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Tate gyoji Shikimori Inosuke handed in his oral resignation again today- 4 sashichigaes (reversed call)  since being promoted to tate gyoji on January 2019.  Hakkaku oyakata, as is customary, declined to accept it. "I guess it was a close bout so it was difficult to determine which rikishi won, but I asked him to be careful  from now," said the rijicho, again.

Is that a highly formulaic oral resignation unique to oozumo?  Whatever it is, I bet Shikimori Inosuke 41 must be tired of having to say it, as Hakkaku must be tired of saying "be careful from now on".

Edited by Amamaniac

9 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Is that a highly formulaic oral resignation unique to oozumo?  Whatever it is, I bet Shikimori Inosuke 41 must be tired of having to say it, as Hakkaku must be tired of saying "be careful from now on".

"Here we go again..."

"Must we?"

"It's customary!"

"Oh, bother..."

"Do we have to?"

"God's sake, no!"

(feel free to determine who is who)

• Like 1