robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

I saw a tweet from NSK, in which they announce the three sansho-winners... (without any conditions). 
I might be wrong but haven't they say that they won't give special prizes because of the coronavirus?

Anyway, the tweet said:

Shukun-sho: Onosho
Kanto-sho: Takanosho
Gino-sho: Aioyama

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Onosho unconditional?  He could well lose to 11-4, awardless Mitakeumi to end up 8-7 at M5, without a win over the champion and without ever being a serious yusho contender....seems generous. Shodai beat Hak too and has just as many wins at a higher rank.

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Tate gyoji Shikimori Inosuke handed in his oral resignation again today- 4 sashichigaes (reversed call)  since being promoted to tate gyoji on January 2019.  Hakkaku oyakata, as is customary, declined to accept it. "I guess it was a close bout so it was difficult to determine which rikishi won, but I asked him to be careful  from now," said the rijicho, again.

I guess this resignation is the modern way the gyoji would take his life when he makes a bad call huh...

Ura takes the Sandanme yusho.  A little heavier, stronger, and he has been winning in more traditional ways.   Hopefully, he will be less injury-prone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wakaebala said:

I saw a tweet from NSK, in which they announce the three sansho-winners... (without any conditions). 
I might be wrong but haven't they say that they won't give special prizes because of the coronavirus?

Anyway, the tweet said:

Shukun-sho: Onosho
Kanto-sho: Takanosho
Gino-sho: Aioyama

Isn't this voted on by the press corp? How could they meet to vote?

2 hours ago, Katooshu said:

Onosho unconditional?  He could well lose to 11-4, awardless Mitakeumi to end up 8-7 at M5, without a win over the champion and without ever being a serious yusho contender....seems generous. Shodai beat Hak too and has just as many wins at a higher rank.

Very convincing win over Hakuho who could very well win the tournament. I’ve seen 8-7 shukun sho before. His rank would also have something to do with it too

Nishikigi partying like it's 2017 with a late-basho Houdini act again.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Very convincing win over Hakuho who could very well win the tournament. I’ve seen 8-7 shukun sho before. His rank would also have something to do with it too

They give out conditionals, so why not require that Hak actually does win it then? He could well have an 8-7, without a win over the champ, without ever being in the yusho race. That's not so outstanding! He's also a former komusubi, not someone on their first run up the ranks.

This isn't the first time they've been generous to Onosho with sansho selection...

Edited by Katooshu

Kotonowaka showed a lot of smart and patience to beat Tochinoshin.  

Onosho?  Really?

7 minutes ago, Katooshu said:

They give out conditionals, so why not require that Hak actually does win it then? He could well have an 8-7, without a win over the champ, without ever being in the yusho race. That's not so outstanding! He's also a former komusubi, not someone on their first run up the ranks.

In the abstract I agree with all that, but it's still Hakuho he beat, and in pretty highlight reel-worthy fashion. That might well have trumped the pure numbers concerns for the voters.

• Like 1

Nice leap to victory by Enho there. He ends with a fairly respectable 6-9 on his joi debut. He can be pleased with that. Many have suffered much worse.

• Like 1

A poor effort by Mitakeumi against Onosho.  Another 2nd half collapse by the former although 10-5 is nothing to sneeze at.

Onosho is one of the performers of the basho for me, given where he's been over the past couple of years. His balance has improved massively and he seems much quicker on his feet. Hopefully he's turned a corner and will become a joi/sanyaku regular.

• Like 1

Endo falling back to his usual.  A lot of poor efforts today. A lot.

3 on 3 synchronizing sumo dancing is just hypnotizing.   9.2 for the East, and 8.7 for the West.

With Endo's loss, Mitakeumi's chance at returning to Sanyuku went up a little.   

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Asanoyama! 

Scrappy bout, but he won’t care. Ozeki promotion not certain but he’s done all he can. 

Edited by Eikokurai

Just now, Eikokurai said:

Asanoyama! 

Ozeki!

Disappointed with the musubi no ichiban result, but great basho. Miraculous to get this one in the books.

Posted (edited)

Ah ... not quite the titanic struggle I’m sure we all hoped for but there it is. #44 for Hakuho. Not the outcome I was personally looking for, but still a great basho overall and one that really deserved a cheering crowd. Let’s hope May can go ahead as planned and we get a similar product to enjoy.

After Hatsu someone on here was adamant Kakuryu must retire. I’m glad he doesn’t follow the forum because he’s shown this tournament that he’s got plenty left in the tank. 

Edited by Eikokurai

Congrats to the GOAT. He deserved the Yusho. I hope we are back in May, but with an audience. This was painful to watch without one.

Posted (edited)

Whew!  That is over.   Congrats to everyone for the job well done.  

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

Thrilling end, moving words from the chairman and, a good omen that Chiyomaru was able to finish and  the basho was able to be completed. Congrats to the GOAT.