robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Fukuyamada said:

I tend to agree, but It's still too early to celebrate. He has 2 challenging bouts ahead of him..

He had fusensho in two of his three sanyaku Basho, and only beat Kakuryu on one occasion. While I like his sumo and his skill impresses me, I am really on the fence regarding Ozeki Promotion, and very likely the kiyokai is aswell. If he wins out, he 100% gets it. If he beats Kakuryu, it is likely. If he beats - probably - Aoiyama, I'm not sure. If he loses both, no promotion. 31/42 with three consecutive losses to end the campaign aren't results worthy of promotion imo. 

Edited by Thorbjarn

Tochiozan vs Azumaryu was weird, almost as weird as when Arawashi got pushed by ghosts...

The shinpan are a little off, they didn't even see the replay to Takanosho vs Mitakeumi that clrealy showed Takanosho touching down first.

That was too close between Mitakeumi and Takanosho.  I thought a monoii was warranted.   

• Like 1

Another decent basho by Daieisho.   Mr. consistency at the current level.

Takakeisho taking his quest to avoid kadoban to the final day. This basho really deserved a crowd!

• Like 3

Aoiyama has zero confidence when he faces Hakuho. You can see it in his face and body language every time. He doesn't believe he can beat him.

Just now, Eikokurai said:

Aoiyama has zero confidence when he faces Hakuho. You can see it in his face and body language every time. He doesn't believe he can beat him.

As I said, that was a freebie for Hak.   

I wonder who will be Takakeisho's final day opponent.   Hmm.

Would have liked to have seen a torinaoshi there between Kakuryu and Asanoyama. 

Posted (edited)

Kak vs Asa was the best match of the day.   Kak gets the nod and rightfully so.   

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

Oh, come on ... Asanoyama deserved a torinaoshi at least for that. That was his bout. Kakuryu "won" on a technicality at best.

• Like 1

Just now, Kaninoyama said:

Now only one of the two Yokozunae can win this yusho. 

Only one of them is ever allowed to win it. :-P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man that one really hurts for Asanoyama, his arm was out first but Kakuryu's wasn't doing anything at all and it was a strong case to call shinitai. With so many things on the line a monoi would have been nice... Hopefully they won't deny the promotion if he wins tomorow.

• Like 1

I won't call it a robbery, but from the replays, decision reversal in Kakuryu's favour seemed the least justifiable decision. I still have trouble interpreting the shintai rule right, admittedly. 

Kakuryu held firmly to the mawashi while Asanoyama put one of his hands down and was in the air before Kakuryu, right call.

• Like 6

How many sashi chigae con this tate-gyoji survive?

hope, they will never make him kimura

• Like 1

Just now, Rainoyama said:

Man that one really hurts for Asanoyama, his arm was out first but Kakuryu's wasn't doing anything at all and it was a strong case to call shinitai. With so many things on the line a monoi would have been nice... Hopefully they won't deny the promotion if he wins tomorow.

Agree. Asanoyama was the aggressor throughout the bout and initiated the final throw. Kakuryu may have touched down second but I don't see what he was really doing to influence the outcome. I have a feeling there's a rule that a torinaoshi can only be called when both touch down together, so they had to call either shinitai on Kakuryu or Asanoyama touching down first. Shinitai would have been my choice.

Still, at least it means Hakuho wasn't handed the advantage in the yusho race. 

1 hour ago, Kaninoyama said:

Takanosho yusho?

Not gonna happen.  But one can dream...

This is now a senshuraku musubinoichiban Yokozuna winner-takes-all rock-'m-sock-'m showdown.  This is how things are supposed to work, give or take an Ozeki or an M13w...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, code_number3 said:

poor asanoyama, end of his ozeki dream?

Probably. At least he was the aggressor this match and only lost by a hair (or an elbow). Not a terrible look, unlike yesterday.

He likely needs a convincingly win tomorrow to have any consideration.. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

I wonder who will be Takakeisho's final day opponent.   Hmm.

Asanoyama, of course.

19 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Agree. Asanoyama was the aggressor throughout the bout and initiated the final throw. Kakuryu may have touched down second but I don't see what he was really doing to influence the outcome. I have a feeling there's a rule that a torinaoshi can only be called when both touch down together, so they had to call either shinitai on Kakuryu or Asanoyama touching down first. Shinitai would have been my choice.

Still, at least it means Hakuho wasn't handed the advantage in the yusho race. 

Asanoyama had him almost.  I hope he wins tomorrow and keeps his hope for the promotion alive.

After everything is said and done, it is Hak against Kak for the showdown.   I am betting on Kak to win.   He has been looking better than Hak.