robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

That's almost a freebie for Hak whereas Kak will be facing very motivated Asanoyama.   Advantage goes to Hak for the yusho.   Mitakeumi vs Takanosho should be a good one.

To be fair, Kakuryu had an easy one against struggling Takakeisho today with Hakuho having the tricky Asanoyama match up

1 hour ago, Catalin B said:

What was the explanation for that? The replay clearly showed Daieisho going out first.

It was a beautifully executed move by Enho as well. Justice was served in the end.

Posted (edited)

Day 13 rikishi talk:

Juryo Kotoshouhou, 11th win and getting closer to promotion to Makuuchi: "It's the result of me piling up the wins one by one. The promotion is getting close, and I'd like to concentrate on that day..'

Aoiyama, pulling and losing his top slot: "That was a waste.. My bad.. I'm not thinking about it. Still two days to go. In any case, I will rest, do some keiko and rethink things tomorrow.." 

Chiyomaru, second win after returning from the high fever kyujo: "I'm back to normal.. My body is healthy! I feel no unusual pain from my leg. I was in good shape before I went kyujo and there's still some of that good feeling left.  My lymph node swelled up and it hurt, so I thought it was maybe cellulitis. I felt It was no big deal.. I'm 36.5 now.."

Kakuryuu, remaining with two losses: "I was calm. In any case, I was able to move and attack. I'm getting better and better every day. Asanoyama tomorrow? Today is over so I will concentrate on tomorrow!""

Michinoku Oyakata, Kakuryuu's oyakata: "Since joining our heya, he did his best  keiko before this basho. His sumo sense is back!"

Kaisei, losing for the fifth time today, talking about the chikaramizu water again: "It was OK today. It was close, but.. It was major news yesterday on social media, and I heard from all kinds of people. Everyone was laughing. ' Not good..' they said."

Mitakeumi, still with three losses after winning today: "The yusho race is getting exciting.. I have to really be focused now..  I've got to make it so 10 wins a basho will be a constant."

Takanoshou, overwhelming Aoiyama: "I was thinking that my opponent might pull.. I want that first sansho.."

Ikioi, kachikoshi at his home basho: "Last year I had cellulitis and couldn't do good sumo. This basho, even when I win it's dead quiet, and that is sad. Still, I feel I am reaching the fans that are watching me on TV."

Ounoshou, kachikoshi, beating Hakuhou on the way: "This basho is really going well for me and I've been achieving stuff.. I have been concentrating on using my lower body better since last basho and the results are evident."

Shouhouzan, winning his third after a decision reversal: "I was really nervous during the monoii discussion. Since there are no spectators, I thought maybe the TV viewers at home could hear my heart beat wildly.."

Abi, attacking well, yet losing to Shoudai and now makekoshi: " The fact I can't push someone out all the way means that my power is insufficient. I injured my lower back and lost some weight, but I need to build my body a bit more.."

Terunofuji, 9th win, on his way back to Makuuchi after 14 bashos: "For now, I can see the promotion. Another win and it will be certain. I'd like to go about it with that in mind.."

Takakeishou, seventh loss : "Suffering? Don't decide for me. I'm not suffering . There are bashos like this.."

Asanoyama, tied for the lead and seeking an Ozeki promotion, losing to Hakuhou: "The Yokozuna was moving ever forward, so all I could do was attempt to defend.. I may have put too much power in my shoulder. I don't know.. I guess I wasn't concentrating enough or serious enough.. I could have tried to turn the tables at the edge, but there's my weakness. I know these last three days are very important. I faced Hakuhou only twice so far so I planned to go all the way with my own sumo.. but I couldn't as I am weak. I won't be thinking of the past, I'll be going all the way with my own sumo for the remainder and gambarize, hoping I won't have any regrets.. "

Judges' department head Fujishima oyakata on the Ozeki promotion: "We'll have to see at the end. I have nothing to say at this time."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I like that, although I'm worried that it might cause some trouble for the automated games.

Fixed by the Wizard

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Hmm, didn't Enho beat Daeisho twice today?   Great win for the might mouse.

I also wondered, why is this Torinaoshi. Daeisho touched down earlier, clearly. So is it dead-body, then? Presumably, Enho took the passage to dead body at exactly the same time when Daieisho touched down.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Judges' department head Fujishima oyakata on the Ozeki promotion: "We'll have to see at the end. I have nothing to say at this time."

4 double digit win basho in a row? 5 of the last 6 along with a Yusho and Jun Yusho? Say hello to Ozeki Asanoyama everyone. Sumo, and fans, needs some good news.

• Like 2

What a great, if bizarre, basho. The last two days are going to be phenomenal, or at least the stage is set. Despite his age, all things being equal, I have to like my buddy, Hakuho. I've never seen a fiercer competitor in any sport.

Although I'm good with all the decisions on this one, I can't believe I had a box about half way up for tomorrow's Day 14. It's going to be epic!

Hakuho banzai!!!

With a 5-2 kachi-koshi from this basho, Yoshii will become only the seventh rikishi to make his Makushita debut as a 16-year-old (since 1972, when completion of junior high school became mandatory). At 16 years, 8 months and 28 days when the banzuke is released, he will be the third-youngest following Asahizakura and Takahanada.

The last 16-year-old Makushita rikishi was Hagiwara (Kisenosato) in 2003 Nagoya, although he turned 17 in between the banzuke release and the start of the basho.

Yoshii defeating Matsuda today:

202003200000319-w500_0.jpg

Meanwhile down at the bottom of the rankings, Hattorizakura will tomorrow be the 11th rikishi in the seven-bout era to fight eight bouts twice, having previously done so this time last year. Then as now his extra opponent was a late-entering rikishi - the odds are good that Chiyotaiho makes Hattorizakura the first to finish 0-8 twice.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Rocks said:

4 double digit win basho in a row? 5 of the last 6 along with a Yusho and Jun Yusho? Say hello to Ozeki Asanoyama everyone. Sumo, and fans, needs some good news.

I tend to agree, but It's still too early to celebrate. He has 2 challenging bouts ahead of him..

5 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

With a 5-2 kachi-koshi from this basho, Yoshii will become only the seventh rikishi to make his Makushita debut as a 16-year-old (since 1972, when completion of junior high school became mandatory). At 16 years, 8 months and 28 days when the banzuke is released, he will be the third-youngest following Asahizakura and Takahanada.

The last 16-year-old Makushita rikishi was Hagiwara (Kisenosato) in 2003 Nagoya, although he turned 17 in between the banzuke release and the start of the basho.

That's a pretty decent company here

Well, judging department now looking at yusho arasoi since day 13, not binding to set a traditional set on last days of basho.

Posted (edited)

Takanosho playing the spoiler! He's another one like Daieisho, coming in under the radar and suddenly he's a joi regular.

When did Onosho develop his yotsu skills? That's 2 yotsu wins now. Never seen the big guy pull that move on the little guy - it's usually vice versa.

I also thought they forced Enho to beat Daieisho twice today. He definitely wasn't dead body when Daieisho touched out, but maybe the shimpan were just being nice to the gyoji, as has been suggested. No doubt about the 2nd win though...

Both way out of contention, but I really enjoyed Hokutofuji-Ryuden - much effort on both sides.

Why didn't Abi just keep thrusting? That pull was every bit as disastrous as 1 of Kakuryu's.

Asanoyama showed some decent defensive skills against the GOAT, but never really looked in it at all. I think he'll have to beat Kakuryu tomorrow to keep his promotion chances alive; an 11th win against an ailing Takakeisho on senshuraku won't cut it.

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Takakeishou, seventh loss : "Suffering? Don't decide for me. I'm not suffering . There are bashos like this.."

Oh my, kitty has claws!

1 hour ago, RabidJohn said:

When did Onosho develop his yotsu skills? That's 2 yotsu wins now. Never seen the big guy pull that move on the little guy - it's usually vice versa.

When the previous Onomatsu Oyakata left the NSK "for health reasons" in September 2019, Onosho got himself a new coach in former Daido. In his day, Daido was a migi-yotsu wrestler.  Perhaps he is passing along some much needed depth in Onosho's sumo.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Asanoyama showed some decent defensive skills against the GOAT, but never really looked in it at all. I think he'll have to beat Kakuryu tomorrow to keep his promotion chances alive; an 11th win against an ailing Takakeisho on senshuraku won't cut it.

He has 29 wins without counting the 2 fusen wins.   I agree that he needs two more wins.   But I think the sentiment may be on Asanoyama's side to get to the promised land with one more win. 

• Like 2

For real. He has no chance now - not that many do against Hakuho, but he knows exactly how to beat Aoiyama every time and executes it flawlessly. 

10 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

Hakuho - Aoiyama

Kak - Asa

Mita - Takanosho

Nice matches for tomorrow. They could have been nicer with Aoiy

8 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

He should have said: There were bashos worse than this.

Posted (edited)

Best case scenario...

Asanoyama beats Kakuryu

Kakuryu beats Hakuho

Hakuho beats Aoiyama

Add in day 15 wins for both Asanoyama and Aoiyama (assuming they dont face each other)

And winner of Mitakeumi-Takanosho wins on day 15 as well...

That is a gigantic 5-man playoff!!!! (Dribbling...)(Dribbling...)

I know it wont happen, but one can dream...(Punkrocker...)

Edited by kapil857
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Aoiyama went back to his old form and that cost him. He should have kept thrusting which has been key to most of his victories, but as soon as he went for the slap down and it didn’t work you knew he was out. I won’t write him off for tomorrow as even a mathematically slight chance is still a chance and if he is ever going to beat Hakuho tomorrow will be the day. 

But smart money is on Hakuho going into day 15 with a one win lead over Kakuryu  or possibly with both tied. Either way it’ll be a nice change of pace to see both Yokozuna going in to the last day with a shot at the yusho. But to be honest seeing Aoiyama and Kakuryu against each other for the yusho would be kind of cool too.

I'm genuinely surprised that Aoiyama is facing Hakuho. 

3 minutes ago, Benevolance said:

I'm genuinely surprised that Aoiyama is facing Hakuho. 

It probably made a lot more sense when it looked like Aoiyama would be 12-1 and everyone else would be 11-2 at best. One of the biggest complaints I remember from January was that Tokushoryu didn’t face anyone of a high caliber. Making Aoiyama beat Hakuho and (possibly) Kakuryu would take away the argument he was given an easy path to the yusho. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Katsunorifuji said:

It probably made a lot more sense when it looked like Aoiyama would be 12-1 and everyone else would be 11-2 at best. One of the biggest complaints I remember from January was that Tokushoryu didn’t face anyone of a high caliber. Making Aoiyama beat Hakuho and (possibly) Kakuryu would take away the argument he was given an easy path to the yusho. 

Nothing to do with that I think. When a Yokozuna or Ozeki is trailing a non-Joi Maegashira in a yusho race, that Y/O has the privilege of facing the M himself rather than rely on other people to beat him. It’s a privilege of rank that you’re allowed to determine your own fate. If Aoiyama was trailing Hakuho, he wouldn’t get that shot. He’d have to wait and hope Hakuho lost to someone else to catch him up.

• Thanks 1

But the torikumi wasn't released until after results were in last night. I thought Aoiyama/Hakuho would only be made if Aoiyama had won, so I'm a bit surprised as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Nothing to do with that I think. When a Yokozuna or Ozeki is trailing a non-Joi Maegashira in a yusho race, that Y/O has the privilege of facing the M himself rather than rely on other people to beat him. It’s a privilege of rank that you’re allowed to determine your own fate. If Aoiyama was trailing Hakuho, he wouldn’t get that shot. He’d have to wait and hope Hakuho lost to someone else to catch him up.

1 hour ago, Kaito said:

But the torikumi wasn't released until after results were in last night. I thought Aoiyama/Hakuho would only be made if Aoiyama had won, so I'm a bit surprised as well.

Right you both are. I posted that assuming they had announced Day 14 per the normal schedule. After I posted that I realized that was not the case. So now I too am surprised!