robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Great to see Ikioi pick up a win in front of his home crowd.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Midorifuji had a successful Juryo debut. Looking forward to seeing if he can follow in the footsteps of stablemate Terutsuyoshi and make it up to Makuuchi eventually.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Seriously, they couldn’t skip the reading out of names this time? It’s boring enough when there are other things to look at for distraction.

Are you nuts? Finally we get to hear the gyoji in all their glory without any obstruction. Well, almost. Thank you John...:-D

Edited by Benihana

6 minutes ago, Benihana said:

Are you nuts? Finally we get to hear the gyoji in all their glory without any obstruction. Well, almost. Thank you John...:-D

I wasn’t nuts, but then I sat through the whole name calling routine and now I’ve lost my mind.

I wonder how the situation will effect TV ratings with so many people staying at home. The pictures of almost empty subway-stations during rush hour are somehow apocalyptic.

7 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I wasn’t nuts, but then I sat through the whole name calling routine and now I’ve lost my mind.

My wife's reaction was "what are they doing?"  

I was happy with Mitakeumi's win but not with Enho's loss.    He'd better go 15-0 >:-(.

I predicted Shodai will overwhelm Tokushoryu and he didn't disappoint.

7 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

My wife's reaction was "what are they doing?"  

Calling names :-D

• Haha 1

And predictably, Hak destroyed Endo (who should have coughed before Tachihai).

Man, what bizarre viewing. I was hoping Takayasu would look stronger but alas. Shame not to see Tokushoryu put up more of a fight too.

Pinning all hopes on Asanoyama getting his 12!

I watched the Abema live stream - it was weird watching the empty arena, but less so than if it had been in Tokyo because the Kokugikan is so much bigger. The Abema commentary team helped immensely. Wakanohana's eternally smiling face and engaging explanations of what was going on got me interested. I had no clue what he was saying but he was clearly enjoying it which helped me enjoy it more. Still, 15 days of a quiet empty arena might kill the novelty a bit.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, robnplunder said:
10 hours ago, Amamaniac said:

Perhaps equally intriguing is Hakuho vs Endo on day 1!  Normally, Hakuho will not lose two in a row against the same opponent, but his dominance is on the wane. Frankly, winning will be more critical for Hakuho.  But Endo will fight with the confidence of having defeated the Yokozuna soundly back in January...

If Hak loses, he will go kyujo with a broken left ego bone.   But I have a feeling Hak will beat Endo mercilessly.

You called that one.  

What I neglected to consider was that Endo underwent surgery on his right elbow in early February (?) – hence the supporter.  That may have adversely affected his training/preparation, not to mention his confidence.

2 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Seriously, they couldn’t skip the reading out of names this time? It’s boring enough when there are other things to look at for distraction.

Holding out the sheets in all three directions really cracked me up. (Laughing...)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I didn’t find the experience all that strange because it’s what it always looks like for the lower divisions anyway. But, I have a feeling it will get more strange as the basho goes on. Day one is subdued even with a crowd. I wonder how much tension there will be if we’ve got a tight yusho race on our hands after day 10+. The crowd plays its part in those bouts where the leaders are involved. 

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

Shodai exacts his revenge on Tokushoryu. 

Shodai pushes him out like a pissed off high school bully..lol 

2 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

This basho viewing experience is going to take some getting used to. 

Defiantly. But I thought the sumo looked ok so far. The usual suspects doing their usual sumo, mostly.

Posted (edited)

No one came across to me as being particularly fazed by the lack crowd energy, which is pretty much what I expected, but it is still rather strange seeing a honbasho with no live audience. 

Glad to see shin-nyumaku Kotonowaka (jr) get his shonichi shiroboshi, but the NHK commentator managed to butcher his name.

Kakuryu's win looked like a lucky one - he pulled again, but got away with it this time. 

Hakuho flattened Endo pretty much as expected, but he looked to be walking very gingerly back to the bales. Another toe/foot injury?

Some odd things struck me today:

- Ex-Goeido and ex-Takekaze on hanamachi sentry duty. To what purpose?

- Gyoji Konosuke not wearing red or pink!

- Being able to hear the bow twirl, but no shouts of (sounds to me like) "Yozo!" to accompany the shiko.

Edited by RabidJohn
  • Like 1

I only watched Makuuchi, but that was some bland and boring sumo, I must say. Hopefully Juryo was more entertaining. Lower division bouts I watched before lunch were more cracking than top division stuff today. Hope the caliber picks up on day 2.

3 hours ago, since_94 said:

I only watched Makuuchi, but that was some bland and boring sumo, I must say. 

Bland and boring? Sure, there weren't any great bouts today, but they're only great when they stand out from the majority. It has to be that way. If every bout was great... well, they wouldn't stand out any more. 

As a fan I can always find something of interest even if most of the bouts are decisively 1-sided and brief, as I've posted above. I particularly enjoyed Asanoyama's old-school yotsu battle with Okinoumi, even though Asa was fairly clearly in charge throughout He's replaced Mitakeumi as my fave rikishi, btw.

My 2nd favourite, Takakeisho, provided an entertaining oshi domination of Takayasu as far as I'm concerned. I actually thought Takayasu looked on form tbh. The tachi-ai was full-on from both (looked like the old Chiyotairyu-flattening Takayasu to me), but Takakeisho is in the ascendancy atm, and Takayasu couldn't counter him.

---

Another thing from today is that injury of Shohozan's. Was it the result of a headbutt? I've only seen it once from a bad angle, but it looked to me like Tamawashi gashed Shohozan's cheek with his thumbnail. Tamawashi's body language immediately after the bout seemed uncharacteristically concerned about what had happened. 

8 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

This basho viewing experience is going to take some getting used to. 

It looks like Jonidan, so weird

Posted (edited)

Dunno if it's the best place for this, but sumodb didnt catch the Sandanme torikumi for day 2. Is there a way to fix this ?

Edit : saw it was reported in another thread.

Edited by Oortael

Without spectators in his way, I am wondering whether Kotoyuki could make it all the way to the scaffold if run off the dohyo like some times in the past.

• Haha 1