robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

15 hours ago, Wasabeefu said:

I like Aoiyama as an unlikely dark horse, but I don't know if I could handle another basho with a rank-and-filer racking up two weeks of beating lowly opponents and lucking out at the end while the top guys cancel out. Tokushoryu's results this time unfortunately speak for themselves. I have not been around long enough to understand the fine art of NSK scheduling, but why don't they start pairing off low-ranked contenders against sanyaku earlier?

For me Tokushoryu is earning a lot of respect for refusing to pull out and fighting on despite his very bad record. Too often high rankers pull out with sudden injuries when results start looking really poor. 

1 hour ago, Highway said:

For me Tokushoryu is earning a lot of respect for refusing to pull out and fighting on despite his very bad record. Too often high rankers pull out with sudden injuries when results start looking really poor. 

He needs to protect his ranking so he fights on.   Or, he is intentionally losing to lower his rank for another yusho run.  It worked once.  :-)

2 hours ago, Highway said:

Unless they promoted Tokushoryu to ozeki after his yusho and I missed it, I'm not sure what typical yokozuna/ozeki behaviour has to do with him. It's certainly not a frequent occurrence with anybody ranked sekiwake on down.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Hakuho even goes bowling when the pins stay at home.

Two days ago HE was the ball. 

Aoiyama did a good job staying in that match. Right out of the gates I thought he was going to get slapped down but he stayed up and walked away with the win. Now the bigger challenges start. If he can beat Mitakeumi tomorrow then he’s looking like the real deal and we might have a show on our hands. But if he loses it looks like Hakuho might be clinching his title before Day 15.

It is fun to watch Aoiyama smacking the crap out of everyone at the lower ranks. Nice to see my favorite perpetual juyro guy Akiseyama (looks like grandpa at the beach) back at the paid ranks beating Ichinojo yesterday and winning today now 6-5.  

With both Yokozuna fighting well, if we get down to the last match on Sunday to decide this strange basho, the gods will be happy and stop this virus nuttiness.  Let's hope. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philioyamfugi said:

It is fun to watch Aoiyama smacking the crap out of everyone at the lower ranks. Nice to see my favorite perpetual juyro guy Akiseyama (looks like grandpa at the beach) back at the paid ranks beating Ichinojo yesterday and winning today now 6-5.  

With both Yokozuna fighting well, if we get down to the last match on Sunday to decide this strange basho, the gods will be happy and stop this virus nuttiness.  Let's hope. 

Akieseyama is deceivingly athletic.  That makes him interesting to watch.  

Asanoyama's Ozeki promotion will be good for sumo and Japanese.  I am hoping he beat Takakeisho and Kak to seal the deal.  

18 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Anyone else noticed the gyogis' extremely lax attitude to 'both hands down' this time around?

In that regard, this basho seems no different than others. Aside from some rare exceptions, the gyogis have always had a lax attitude concerning "both hands down". I think the rule should be renamed "both hands reasonably close".

It was a convincing win by Terunofuji against the young Mongolian.  I sort of guessed that Terunofuji will be fired up to beat the upstart.

In the other all Mongolian match, Ichinojo got a hold of Chiyoshoma's belt and that was that, an easy win.  His slow Tachihai probably discouraged Chiyoshoma to henka his way to a win. :-P

Aoiyama's projected opponents for the last four days: Mitakeumi (today), Takanosho (tomorrow), Endo, Daieisho.

Today will be his biggest test. He has winning records against all the rest. He could really do this. 

Just now, Kaninoyama said:

Aoiyama's projected opponents for the last four days: Mitakeumi (today), Takanosho (tomorrow), Endo, Daieisho.

Today will be his biggest test. He has winning records against all the rest. He could really do this. 

All four of them are in good form so Aoiyama has his job cut out for him.   Being a Mitakeumi fan since his debut, I am gonna pick him to put Aoiyama down today.   

Barring a minor miracle, Tochioshan is going back to the Juyro division.  

It's good to see Chiyomaru win after the COVID scare.   

• Like 1

That was funny aha the journalist from NHK asked Kaisei why he was smiling in the hanamichi after his win and KK, he answered that he was actually laughing with his tsukebito because he was so stressed before the bout that he actually put chikaramizu in his mouth

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Rainoyama said:

That was funny aha the journalist from NHK asked Kaisei why he was smiling in the hanamichi after his win and KK, he answered that he was actually laughing with his tsukebito because he was so stressed before the bout that he actually put chikaramizu in his mouth

That's 50 demerits for Kaisei.

Aoiyama beats Mitakeumi!  Wow, now I am a believer.  Aoiyama all the way!   

Even with a morozashi, Enho couldn't beat Hokutofuji and goes MK.  :-(

Edited by robnplunder

Where was that Hokutofuji all basho ?

Posted (edited)

Asanoyama's odds of becoming the next Ozeki just got better.  Even another yusho is possible if he can beat Hakuho tomorrow.  The kid is coming to his own, IMO.  

Even in winning, Takakeisho looked unimpressive.   I think he will go Kadoban.

WOW!  I didn't see Shodai beating Hakuho coming.  What a shock!  (That's a lot of slaps Shodai endured ;-))

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Wow, Shodai stands his ground against Hakuho's repeated slaps and sticks a second loss on the Yokozuna.

Aoiyama stands alone at the top and is now firmly in the driver's seat.

Edited by Kaninoyama

Shodai The Spoiler's ability to win at the craziest times continues.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, we have ourselves a basho! Great win for Shodai. Huge props!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The possibility of Aoiyama having to face one or both of the Yokozuna just grew. Since he's in the lead, I expect the torikumi will be reshuffled if he stays ahead tomorrow so he doesn't take the yusho unchallenged.

Edited by Eikokurai

Tomorrow Hakuho faces Asanoyoyama, who's in great form and chasing Ozeki promotion.

1 minute ago, Eikokurai said:

The possibility of Aoiyama having to face one or both of the Yokozuna just grew. Since he's in the lead, I expect the torikumi will be reshuffled so he doesn't take the yusho unchallenged.

That's fair.   If Aoiyama faces both Yokozuna, his chance of getting the yusho is very poor.   

In the end, it may come down to Hak and Kak showdown.