robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

A Hakuho loss today would be just the ticket with Mitakeumi and Asanoyama both winning to go 9-2. Takanosho is in the mix too, with Kakuryu to come and Aoiyama out on his own. Juicy.

Takakeisho looks like a man who'd rather be in self-isolation with a bucket of fried chicken and a TV box set to binge on.

Edited by Eikokurai
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Mitakeumi does the Enho pivot and goes 9-2.  Yeah!

I gave that a new kimarite: Houdinidashi

MK looks to be certain for Takakeisho who does not look anything like himself in this basho.   Hopefully, Asanoyama will do good enough to be promoted to Ozeki.   I think he can beat Takakeisho to add a win to his tally.

Hakuho even goes bowling when the pins stay at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well, that was a close run thing. Hokutofuji lured Hakuho right to the edge by immediately going backwards.

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

A Hakuho loss today would be just the ticket with Mitakeumi and Asanoyama both winning to go 9-2. Takanosho is in the mix too, with Kakuryu to come and Aoiyama out on his own. Juicy.

Would you settle for Mitakeumi's win over Aoiyama tomorrow?   

Just now, robnplunder said:

Would you settle for Mitakeumi's win over Aoiyama tomorrow?   

The result of a Mitakeumi win will likely be Hakuho alone at the front ... 

17 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

he's coming in to fight with a hangover some days?

That would be a hell of a hangover if it's still affecting him at 5 in the afternoon.

As soon as Hokutofuji did a matta, it was just a question of which empty row he ended up in...

• Like 2

Four wrestlers left the dohyo with their MK losing records today.  Meanwhile, four other wrestlers had the chance for their KK winning records, yet not one of them managed to secure it.  Daieisho was the last of those four to give it a go, going up against Mitakeumi.

Near the end, Daieisho looked as though he had the upper hand, but in a split second, Mitakeumi spun behind his opponent, and won by okuridashi rear push out.  Mitakeumi is looking really genki (元気), and has surprisingly minimal taping – definitely not as battered up as some of the other Top Division dudes.  That spin by Mitakeumi was Enho worthy, yet executed by a man 76kg heavier!  Just goes to show that excess weight does not always spell S-L-O-W.

And speaking of Enho and MKs, Enho staved of his MK with a very "fine" tsukiotoshi against Tokushoryu today.  The toes of his left foot looked as though they were a grain of sand's distance away from the janome sand, and the judges dutifully held a monoii review just to be sure he stayed in.  There was a little irony in that Enho used the very kimarite against the man that had used it six times(!) in his surprise championship two months ago.  

This may be an odd basho with no crowd, but it's a normal-service-is-resumed basho in terms of the top rankers looking like they're going to stay the distance to senshuraku. It's been a while, but both yokozuna are doing well, even if the lone ozeki is struggling. 

Anyone else noticed the gyogis' extremely lax attitude to 'both hands down' this time around?

• Like 1

All three Kasugano Top Division wrestlers won today, the first time that has happened in this tournament (Tochiozan's 10 straight losses didn't make that possible earlier).  But I wonder if Aoiyama's exceptional yusho race is now inspiring his stable mates to up their game.  It's definitely too late for Tochinoshin, but will it be enough to boost Tochinoshin (5-6) to get his kachikoshi?!!  

#Whosaidsumoisn'tateamsport?

I think Asanoyama is going to do this. 

Yutakayama has really impressed me this basho. He seems to come in with a different strategy for each opponent, and has shown incredible patience in executing what he wants to do, not rushing things, and waiting for his opponent to make the mistake. A new favourite I think.

19 minutes ago, Morty said:

I think Asanoyama is going to do this. 

So, which Yokozuna is he going to beat, if not both?

1 minute ago, Jakusotsu said:

So, which Yokozuna is he going to beat, if not both?

Ideally it would Hak which would really seal the deal

2 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

That would be a hell of a hangover if it's still affecting him at 5 in the afternoon.

If you’re drinking til the early hours, your hangover might only start in the afternoon. 

I have really been enjoying the fights in Juryo this tournament. Tobizaru and Midorifuji today was one of the best bouts so far in this basho, and there have been many good ones. I think we’re seeing some high caliber Sumo this March in the empty gymnasium. Shipman getting taken out like crazy, too.

Day 11 rikishi talk:

Juryo Chiyoootori, first kachikoshi as a sekitori since  Nagoya 2016: "Excellent. My body was moving so it's good. I shall now gambarize to achieve double-digit wins!"

Kotonowaka, good first step notwithstanding, second straight loss, today to Aoiyama: "He saw through me. I'm learning every day. One day at a time. I will give it my all!"

Kotoshougiku, beating Chiyomaru who returned from a forced kyujo, alone at eighth place with career wins-707: "I really don't feel much regarding that, but I'm happy. I will probably feel its importance when I'm done. It's a battle against myself.. As for today, I was able to seriously do my own sumo. .."

Tochiouzan, first win on day 11: "I'm relieved. Four bouts left. I'd like to go about it so I can face tomorrow with a good feeling.." 

Takanoshou, facing Asanoyama tomorrow in the battle of runner-up rikishi: " If I get all excited I may lose it, so I'll try to go about it calmly.."

Ounoshou, couldn't get any momentum going after beating Hakuhou yesterday: "i was too eager at the edge of the dohyo.. i miscalculated the distance.."

Aoiyama, tied for the lead: "It feels like the keiko-ba.. At the tachiai I kinda lost my opponent but my body moved well..I'm happy to get double digit wins. Osaka is extra cool.. (last year he had 12 wins in Osaka)"

Yutakayama, four straight wins, beating Takarafuji: "I thought if I shut out my right side and not let him get his left I'll be OK. I was able to go about it calmly.."

Abi, braving Takakeishou's attack and winning: "I was surprised by his thrusts but managed to remain calm and coped with them. My body was responding and I'm not in bad shape.."

Takakeishou, three straight losses and batting under .500 and some worry regarding his left knee:  "I already have six losses and i haven't even faced the Yokozunae, which does not bode well. I'm giving it all I've got every day. All I can do is to continue to do so tomorrow as well.."

Hokutofuji, blasted out by Hakuhou: "I couldn't get the tachiai coordinated and couldn't generate any of my power. i think the Yokozuna is very, very skilled.."

Kakuryuu, beating Shoudai who trains with him a lot: "I didn't want to let my guard down so I was careful. One win behind Hakuhou? Let's not talk about that yet.."

Hakuhou, obliterating Hokutofuji: "That was refreshing.. I was thinking that I needed to get back on track today. I'll be keeping an eye on the two key matches tomorrow (Aoiyama-Mitakeumi, Takanoshou-Asanoyama)"

Asanoyama, beating Ryuuden and in contention for the yusho and the Ozeki promotion: " I just went forward without being concerned. My body moved naturally. If I don't go forward, I can't do my own sumo.. I will do my best the remaining days. I will get into it. I want to attack seriously tomorrow.."

Ura, 6-0 in Sandanme after beating 190 kilo Akinoyama today and assured of a promotion to Makushita next basho: "He was heavy.. I'm happy to be returning to Makushita. I really wanted to go up, and I would like to win my remaining bout as well."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

22 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Considering that Asanoyama quite openly put his improvement in performance down to not drinking alcohol on basho nights, I'm a little astounded that Mitakeumi is only just realising this

Is this the reason for his inconsistent performances - he's coming in to fight with a hangover some days?

From yesterday's Guardian crossword:

Partaking of booze killed wrestling champion (5)

Spoiler

OZEKI

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Tigerboy1966 said:

My point was that Asanoyama said abstinence improved his game, so yes, it seems there is some remaining deleterious effect at 5pm.

9 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

They probably fart all the time but we simply don't hear it when the arena is full.

I wonder how rikishi farts through the tight mawashi.   Nevermind.  

• Haha 1

Beautiful henka by Tochinoshin.

Mitakeumi lucked out on the bales. Daieisho beat himself. But a win is a win.

What a match Enho had today, he just managed to win over a much heavier opponent

If someone had told me at the start of the basho that Aioyama and Hakuho would be tied on day 12, I would have assumed they meant that Hakuho would have withdrawn from the tournament around day 6. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 9