robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

19 minutes ago, mt fuji said:

Just occurred to me that this might be the first basho in a loooong time where rikishi aren't going out for drinks after every bout. 

Good point. Ironically, it’s probably the healthiest basho for a long time.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Mitakeumi "… The fact that I'm not going out at night has been a great plus for me."

Considering that Asanoyama quite openly put his improvement in performance down to not drinking alcohol on basho nights, I'm a little astounded that Mitakeumi is only just realising this

Is this the reason for his inconsistent performances - he's coming in to fight with a hangover some days?

• Like 1

When do we start talking about Aoiyamas yusho and the beginning of his ozeki run? 

#justkidding

18 minutes ago, Tsubame said:

When do we start talking about Aoiyamas yusho and the beginning of his ozeki run? 

Been there, done that.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Day 10 Rikishi talk:

Aoiyama, ninth win and now tied for the lead: "I was able to do it without hesitation. I was going about it calmly. I'm just doing things as usual. The empty stands are a sad sight, but my fighting spirit isn't too high. I want to concentrate on one bout at a time."

Spirit isn't too low, is what it's meant to say perhaps?

Brilliant sumo from Onosho to get a well deserved win, looks like Hakuho will have a battle in his hands to win the basho. Turning out to be an exciting one - hope Aoiyama can keep it up.

Edited by Highway

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Tsubame said:

#justkidding

Well, the Meisei ozeki talk from a couple tournaments ago has been put on hold, so I guess Aoiyama can have another turn :-D

Edited by Katooshu
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Highway said:

Spirit isn't too low, is what it's meant to say perhaps?

Brilliant sumo from Onosho to get a well deserved win, looks like Hakuho will have a battle in his hands to win the basho. Turning out to be an exciting one - hope Aoiyama can keep it up.

No, he meant he isn’t all worked up like last basho, he is calmer and not over-eager like last basho..

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

No, he meant he isn’t all worked up like last basho, he is calmer and not over-eager like last basho..

Ah, that makes sense then.

Posted (edited)

Did anyone hear one of the commentators rip a fart during the Abi match today? Ridiculous.

I for one am rooting for the blubbery Bulgarian. If Aoiyama were to win a yusho, it would be a weird one like this with no fans. He doesn't seem too popular with the fans anyhow. I can already see him hoisting the Emperor's cup in an empty arena. Lol!

Edited by Sophistikage
Spelling
  • Like 1

This basho could be setting up well for Aoiyama. Yesterday the NHK commentators raved at how when it comes to keiko he's by far the strongest rikishi.

Given that this basho has a keiko-like environment with no fans present, he may be in a comfort zone that he could never get into during a regular basho. 

A Tokushoryu yusho followed by an Aoiyama yusho. Could that really be a thing?

27 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

A Tokushoryu yusho followed by an Aoiyama yusho. Could that really be a thing?

As 1985-born oldie Hakuho steps aside, a pair of 1986-born whippersnappers take over. Sure, why not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

I just realised that akua got rid of his aqua mawashi. What are we supposed to call him now?

Hadakayama? (裸山, naked mountain)

3 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

This basho could be setting up well for Aoiyama. Yesterday the NHK commentators raved at how when it comes to keiko he's by far the strongest rikishi.

I wonder if it's because keiko tends to be more front-on. Less of that get-him-to-chase-you-then-get-out-of-the-way stuff that accounts for some of his losses.

5 hours ago, Sophistikage said:

Did anyone hear one of the commentators rip a fart during the Abi match today? Ridiculous.

I for one am rooting for the blubbery Bulgarian. If Aoiyama were to win a yusho, it would be a weird one like this with no fans. He doesn't seem too popular with the fans anyhow. I can already see him hoisting the Emperor's cup in an empty arena. Lol!

(Laughing...) Which broadcast and which day? If you mean the 17th, I did not hear it, but that would be one of the more interesting things that happened aside from Hakuho's loss...

I like Aoiyama as an unlikely dark horse, but I don't know if I could handle another basho with a rank-and-filer racking up two weeks of beating lowly opponents and lucking out at the end while the top guys cancel out. Tokushoryu's results this time unfortunately speak for themselves. I have not been around long enough to understand the fine art of NSK scheduling, but why don't they start pairing off low-ranked contenders against sanyaku earlier?

Posted (edited)

Lumbering Akiseyama teaches Takagenji how to pivot.  Nice win by the former.

Surprisingly easy win by Hoshoryu against Kotoeko who was 9-1 coming in.  The juryo yusho race is wide open.

Midorifuji wins a marathon.  He is same size as Enho but less explosive.

Hakuho told me that he lost on purpose to Onosho to keep the basho more interesting.   He was concerned about the TV rating, too.  What a guy!

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Yokozuna Hattorizakura said:

I just realised that akua got rid of his aqua mawashi. What are we supposed to call him now?

He changed from aqua to velva :)

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Midorifuji wins a marathon.  He is same size as Enho but less explosive.

According to him during his shin-Juryo interview he is now a bit bigger, at about 105 kilos, and looking to add at least 10 more if I recall correctly. 

When I first saw him three years ago during keiko after he had just joined Isegahama-beya out of college, he was even smaller than Enho.

He has since put on so much weight I barely recognized him when I saw him on TV this time around.

• Like 1

It's amusing how often rikishi are completely caught off guard against Chiyoshoma's henka, usually toward his right side.

40 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

According to him during his shin-Juryo interview he is now a bit bigger, at about 105 kilos, and looking to add at least 10 more if I recall correctly. 

When I first saw him three years ago during keiko after he had just joined Isegahama-beya out of college, he was even smaller than Enho.

He has since put on so much weight I barely recognized him when I saw him on TV this time around.

What makes these little guys enter a contact sport without weight class is beyond me.   They got guts. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Sophistikage said:

They probably fart all the time but we simply don't hear it when the arena is full.

Edited by Eikokurai

Enho holds off the makekoshi for another day with some nice bale gymnastics.

Did Enho just pull a Tokushoryu against Tokushoryu? (Laughing...)

3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Enho holds off the makekoshi for another day with some nice bale gymnastics.

Enho got a bit lucky.  Short toes helped.  

(BTW, things are back to normal in Shanghai?)

Just now, robnplunder said:

Enho got a bit lucky.  Short toes helped.  

(BTW, things are back to normal in Shanghai?)

Getting there, but not quite. Precautions still in place but not the restrictions we've had for the past two months.