robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Chiyomaru is scheduled to fight Kotoshogiku tomorrow.  Will they let Chiyomaru fight with a fever even with a negative covid19 test?  Has the fever gone down?  What if he gets too hot to handle?  :)

A nice win by Midorifuji against Hoshoryu!   

Terunofuji bounces back against Mitoryu who continues to prove he firmly belongs in Juyro.   He has been in juryo for 14 straight times.   He will likely make it to 15 but needs a win or two.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 1

Terutsuyoshi with one of the most obvious deliberate bluff mattas I've ever seen, but it still worked.

• Like 3

My internet is dreadful today so I’ve only seen two bouts uninterrupted, one of which was that great Yutakayama win just then. Brilliant defence and evasion on the bales.

4 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

My internet is dreadful today so I’ve only seen two bouts uninterrupted, one of which was that great Yutakayama win just then. Brilliant defence and evasion on the bales.

Not too many good matches.   Tamawashi's win was sloppy but fun.  

Tokushoryu is MK already.  He should position himself to drop down to M16 - M18 for another yusho run.  ;-)

• Haha 1

Just noticed Tochiozan is now 0-10. Ouch. Wonder if he’s thinking of getting a fever so the basho ends and he avoids the ignominy of going 0-15.

Asanoyama kachikoshi. Still a way to go but he’s about where he needs to be going into the final third.

Takakeisho doesn’t have the power that got him to Ozeki. Shodai couldn’t be moved. He’s taking his quest to avoid kadoban to the wire.

Edited by Eikokurai

Down goes Hakuho. We have ourselves a basho!

Bonus points for taking down Kokonoe Shimpan.

Edited by Kaninoyama
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Onosho! What a bout! Where has this guy found his balance?!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, robnplunder said:

Barring an injury or boredom, Hak gets another zensho yusho.

Well, well, well.  I had hoped that Hakuho would not steamroller his way to another zenshoyusho.  Not that I dislike Hakuho, but I wanted the tournament to stay interesting/exciting.  The zensho yusho potential was, however, tempting as a consolation prize for fans, since that would have made Hakuho the oldest wrestler to secure a straight victory championship.  But now we definitely have a tournament with some suspense.  Never thought I'd say this:

"Aoiyama and Hakuho are tied for the lead!"

Kakuryu, Asanoyama, and Mitakeumi are all very much in the race.  Mitakeumi has already faced Hakuho, so I give him a slight edge over the other two.

I was watching Kotonowaka's progress this tournament, and quietly speculated that he might even repeat Tokushoryu's feat of a makujiri yusho, making it two straight such anomalies.  But Terutsuyoshi put an end to that today with a brilliant ashitori.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

Well, well, well.  I had hoped that Hakuho would not steamroller his way to another zenshoyusho.  Not that I dislike Hakuho, but I wanted the tournament to stay interesting/exciting.  The zensho yusho potential was, however, tempting as a consolation prize for fans, since that would have made Hakuho the oldest wrestler to secure a straight victory championship.

I would have been more happy with the zensho. Ah well...

• Like 2

Happy Shodai won, but it looked like he got lucky. Didn’t look like he really wanted to win until he did. Onosho has looked great in quite a few bouts this tournament, today being the culmination of his improvements. Doing some very exciting sumo. The leg pick by Terutsuyoshi against Kotonowaka was very well done. I’m sure the youngster learned something today.

I'm sure Kotonowaka wasn't the only youngster who learned a lesson today. Kiribayama really shouldn't fall for that obvious Chiyotairyu play again...

Tamawashi vs Sadanoumi was mental! And I see Kataonami-oyakata has made Tama take the razors out of his mage..

I thought the following Yutakayama-Kagayaki bout was excellent too.

Ah, they've got Enho's number now, haven't they? Asanoyama still on track.

I don't claim to be clairvoyant, but I had a feeling Onosho might pull off an upset. Hakuho underestimated him, and looked quite miffed about it afterwards - or maybe he was worrying about the bollocking he was going to get for the nodowa on Kokonoe-oyakata (maybe I shouldn't, but I did laugh when he bowled the shimpan over)! Grats to Onosho on the kinboshi.

Aoiyama co-leader after day 10... Who'd have thunk it?

Edited by RabidJohn

I like how much concern Kaisei showed for the injured dohyo after Ishiura broke it. What a sweet guy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eikokurai said:

Just noticed Tochiozan is now 0-10. Ouch. Wonder if he’s thinking of getting a fever so the basho ends and he avoids the ignominy of going 0-15.

He got a morozashi today as well right at the start of the bout and still couldn't win. He has zero power going forward - it's painful to watch.

What is also painful to watch is the number of headbutts Tamawashi puts out there in each bout. He hit Sadanoumi with about six today, all clearly deliberate. His brain is going to end up like Swiss cheese (if it isn't already).

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

Well, well, well.  I had hoped that Hakuho would not steamroller his way to another zenshoyusho.  Not that I dislike Hakuho, but I wanted the tournament to stay interesting/exciting.  The zensho yusho potential was, however, tempting as a consolation prize for fans, since that would have made Hakuho the oldest wrestler to secure a straight victory championship.  But now we definitely have a tournament with some suspense.  Never thought I'd say this:

"Aoiyama and Hakuho are tied for the lead!"

Kakuryu, Asanoyama, and Mitakeumi are all very much in the race.  Mitakeumi has already faced Hakuho, so I give him a slight edge over the other two.

I was watching Kotonowaka's progress this tournament, and quietly speculated that he might even repeat Tokushoryu's feat of a makujiri yusho, making it two straight such anomalies.  But Terutsuyoshi put an end to that today with a brilliant ashitori.

I was doing OK with my predictions for a change until Hak's loss to Onosho.    But this makes the rest of basho interesting.    I agree that Mitakeumi has a slight edge over the other two.  I will also be rooting for Aoiyama.   If Hak loses another bout, Aoiyama can pull a Tokushoryu.   That makes me smile just thinking about it.  

Takakeisho (Thinkingindepth...)

17 minutes ago, Morty said:

He got a morozashi today as well right at the start of the bout and still couldn't win. He has zero power going forward - it's painful to watch.

on a sidenote i was wondering how often he lost with kimedashi and looked it up in the database

the guy he lost with this kimarite the last time was.......

Nishikigi

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

Takakeisho (Thinkingindepth...)

My feelings exactly.  Although, I might also go with: (Tearsforming...)

The way Takakesho has been fighting this tournament, I am seriously concerned that he will go kadoban.  That would put the sole Ozeki spot in jeopardy.  Just imagine the natsu basho Summer Nagoya Tournament banzuke with no "on paper" Ozeki, and two Yokozuna-Ozeki.  What is the world coming to?

Asanoyama better get his big-boy mawashi on and knock out 12 wins.  But given the Takakeisho situation, John Gunning might be right about 11 wins (fusensho or no fusensho).  But if he doesn't even manage 11, then I will agree with Murray Johnson that the Toyama native is not ready for the elite rank.

Edited by Amamaniac

14 minutes ago, Amamaniac said:

My feelings exactly.  Although, I might also go with: (Tearsforming...)

The way Takakesho has been fighting this tournament, I am seriously concerned that he will go kadoban.  That would put the sole Ozeki spot in jeopardy.  Just imagine the natsu basho Summer Tournament banzuke with no "on paper" Ozeki, and two Yokozuna-Ozeki.  What is the world coming to?

Asanoyama better get his big-boy mawashi on and knock out 12 wins.  But given the Takakeisho situation, John Gunning might be right about 11 wins (fusensho or no fusensho).  But if he doesn't even manage 11, then I will agree with Murray Johnson that the Toyama native is not ready for the elite rank.

We’re at least two basho away from a Nozeki scenario so Natsu is safe. Takakeisho has one kadoban basho to play with. Nagoya is a possibility.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

We’re at least two basho away from a Nozeki scenario so Natsu is safe.

My bad.  I was thinking this was still the first tournament of 2020.  (Hitthewall...)

Edited by Amamaniac

1 hour ago, Gernobono said:

on a sidenote i was wondering how often he lost with kimedashi and looked it up in the database

the guy he lost with this kimarite the last time was.......

Nishikigi

4 wins in 7 htoh with Tochi and 3 by kimedashi.

Day 10 Rikishi talk:

Kotonowaka, getting his leg grabbed by Terutsuyoshi: "I did think of that possibility somewhat, but I was in too much of a hurry. I have no choice but to turn things around..'

Tochiouzan, 10 straight losses: "My first step was good, but well.. I will concentrate on one bout at a time."

Tochinoshin,  on his heyamate Aoiyama (famous for his excellent training) remaining with one loss: "He's calm. If he can generate the same power he has in training, nobody will be a match for him.."

Chiyotairyuu, 7th win, his heyamate Chiyomaru returning tomorrow after the Corona scare: "He'll be returning with guns blazing. He had an excellent first half of the basho so we will both be aiming for kachikoshi and hopefully generate some cheerful news.."

Takanoshou, suffering his second loss of the basho to Takarafuji by tsukiotoshi in their first ever meeting: "The fact that I was able to push with only the top part of my body toward the end was not good. I was over-eager..'

Daieishou, seven straight wins after starting 0-3: " I want to concentrate while keeping my spirits up. I'm feeling good and I believe it's a plus so I'm able to go all out! I think it's a good feeling. Looking to the future, the next days are very important.."

Hokutofuji, seven straight losses, makekoshi at Komusubi: "My feet are not carrying me. I will do my best from tomorrow, thinking of the next basho."

Kakuryuu, winning easily and getting his first kachikoshi since his yusho in July: "I was able to go with my own pace. I'm not thinking of the yusho race etc - I just want to concentrate on my own sumo.."

Mitakeumi, getting his kachikoshi: "A lot of fighting spirit in today's bout. I am able to do my own brand of sumo. The fact that I'm not going out at night has been a great plus for me. If I do my own sumo I can win. All I can do is continue again from tomorrow!"

Hakuhou, first loss of the basho today, to Ounoshou: "I pulled, yes? Well, the day I lose to Ounoshou has come. With this, I feel I have raised him well (Ounoshou participated in the first youth Hakuhou Cup when he was in Junior high and won the championship. Ten years ago)."

Ounoshou, beating Hakuhou for the first time: "I didn't know how he would come out at me but I tried to cope with it. I have been watching the Dai-Yokozuna for a long time. 10 years ago I could never imagine this happening.."

Aoiyama, ninth win and now tied for the lead: "I was able to do it without hesitation. I was going about it calmly. I'm just doing things as usual. The empty stands are a sad sight, but my fighting spirit isn't too high. I want to concentrate on one bout at a time."

Asanoyama getting his kachikoshi and approaching the numbers he needs to be promoted to Ozeki : "I was able to stay calm and watch my opponent. From this point on it's going to be important and all I can do is face it one bout at a time. I'm one win behind so I would like to follow the leaders closely.."

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

I just finished watching NHK's March Grand Sumo preview (https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/tournament/202003/preview.html), and it was interesting to hear the three hosts' predictions as to who will win in Osaka.

Hiro-san picked Hokutofuji, who is coming off an 11-4 record in January.

John picked Asanoyama, who should be motivated to secure Ozeki promotion.

Murray picked Takakeisho, who came close to winning in January.  He also threw in Kakuryu, based on pre-basho training.

It is fair to say that Hokutofuji and Takakeisho are – at this point – out of contention, way out of contention.  That leaves John's pick and Murray's backup pick.  Let's see if one of them gets it right.

What I found particularly interesting about the commentary was Murray's view that as a pusher-thruster, Hokutofuji will be going up and down throughout the rest of his sumo career.  Frankly, I tend to agree with him.  A little more disturbing was the report that after losing out in January, Takakeisho told the press, "I don't deserve to be an Ozeki."  If that is what he says after an 11-4 performance, I wonder how he'll feel after his performance in Osaka.  I think Takakeisho may be facing a crisis of confidence.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Mitakeumi, getting his kachikoshi: "A lot of fighting spirit in today's bout. I am able to do my own brand of sumo. The fact that I'm not going out at night has been a great plus for me. If I do my own sumo I can win. All I can do is continue again from tomorrow!"

Just occurred to me that this might be the first basho in a loooong time where rikishi aren't going out for drinks after every bout.