robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

Yet another nakabi KK for the GOAT. I'm not betting against him turning it into a zensho yusho.

Posted (edited)

I was unpleasantly surprised by Kotonowaka's promotion when first seeing the banzuke. Turns out it was a great decision, he's looking very confident and is pretty enjoyable to watch in makuuchi.

Too bad about Chiyomaru, he had a strong start. Any chance they test him for the virus and he returns in time to fight for a KK if it turns out it's nothing serious?

Edited by Catalin B

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

Day 8 rikishi talk:

Hokutofuji, pushing Takakeishou to the edge but not finishing him off: "I screwed up. I can't win, my fighting spirit is shot - this basho sucks.."

Did he REALLY say this, or is it me missing irony from you ?(Eh?)

24 minutes ago, Catalin B said:

I was unpleasantly surprised by Kotonowaka's promotion when first seeing the banzure. Turns out it was a great decision, he's looking very confident and is pretty enjoyable to watch in makuuchi.

Too bad about Chiyomaru, he had a strong start. Any chance they test him for the virus and he returns in time to fight for a KK if it turns out it's nothing serious?

He can come back today if his temperature goes down.

Japan has a strict rule to get qualified for COVID 19 test.  For a starter, one has to have 3 (or 4?) straight days of high temperature.   There are other restrictions.   So, it'd be a few days before we know if Chiyomaru has COVID 19 virus or not.   I am hoping/betting it won't go that far and the basho completes.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

He can come back today if his temperature goes down.

Japan has a strict rule to get qualified for COVID 19 test.  For a starter, one has to have 3 (or 4?) straight days of high temperature.   There are other restrictions.   So, it'd be a few days before we know if Chiyomaru has COVID 19 virus or not.   I am hoping/betting it won't go that far and the basho completes.

Yeah, but does he get tested or not? Cause if not and really has it and comes back, he might infect everyone, if didn't already.

Edited by Genjurooo
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Genjurooo said:

Yeah, but does he get tested or not? Cause if not and really has it and comes back, he might infect everyone, if didn't already.

The common sense (IMO), he should be immediately tested for the virus.   For now, I believe he will get tested if he shows clear signs of the infection.   Until then, we  (including everyone who was in contact with Chiyomaru) nervously wait.

• Like 1

Is it just me, or is Hakuho acting more "collegial" this basho?  After every win, he's offering an arm up, pat on the back, etc.  He does it occasionally most basho, but he seems to do this every bout this basho.

10 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Is it just me, or is Hakuho acting more "collegial" this basho?  After every win, he's offering an arm up, pat on the back, etc.  He does it occasionally most basho, but he seems to do this every bout this basho.

He started out angry, making a punctuation mark (pushing down, extra poke) after every win.  Not so much in the last few matches.   I think after starting out well, he feels a bit more charitable.   We will see what he does today.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I share the same impression, although today it appeared to me that it took all of his self-control to hold back from wacking Abi after the latter's false start.  Hakuho is already in retirement mode, and he is grooming his image in the hopes that he can make friends and inroads in the Kyokai (particularly the rijikai) post-intai.  Hakuho, the greatest rijicho of all time?  History seems to be against that kind of a bid.  Taiho, Chiyonofuji and Takanohana all struggled to gain widespread support.  Kitanoumi, on the other hand, was a different story.  We'll just have to see what Hakuho can achieve in the years to come...

1 hour ago, Amamaniac said:

I share the same impression, although today it appeared to me that it took all of his self-control to hold back from wacking Abi after the latter's false start.  Hakuho is already in retirement mode, and he is grooming his image in the hopes that he can make friends and inroads in the Kyokai (particularly the rijikai) post-intai.  Hakuho, the greatest rijicho of all time?  History seems to be against that kind of a bid.  Taiho, Chiyonofuji and Takanohana all struggled to gain widespread support.  Kitanoumi, on the other hand, was a different story.  We'll just have to see what Hakuho can achieve in the years to come...

To his credit Taiho did have a legitimate reason for being passed over as he did have a stroke that limited his mobility. 

Chiyonofuji was not liked by his peers while active and that carried over in retirement. 

Takanohana overstepped the "boundaries" that has been in the Kyokai, if there is anybody whose mistakes that Hakuho can learn from, it would be Takanohana.

12 hours ago, Zannah said:

Two bouts made me applause today (Applauding...); Tochinochin's comeback and Enho's huge leap. Onosho managed to catch that but end of the bout was proper entertainment.

Abi was usual hasty one, I hope he didn't hurt his knee (seeing his facial expression when he hit tha clay)... :-|

With you on all of the above. Abi looked like he might make it interesting until his leg gave out. Kakuryu looked proper today too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robnplunder said:

He started out angry, making a punctuation mark (pushing down, extra poke) after every win.  Not so much in the last few matches.   I think after starting out well, he feels a bit more charitable.   We will see what he does today.  

I agree. Whereas, if he starts out badly, he goes kyujo by day 5. Rank has its privileges.

Say what you want about Tochinoshin and his recent decline, but the man gives it his all out there. Two days in a row he’s put a ton effort to pull out a win despite a bad start to the basho. It’s too bad these matches aren’t against Hakuho or Asanoyama but entertaining wins are still wins no matter who they are against. 

• Like 6

One rikishi having a fever shouldn't be indicative that the virus could now have possibly spread among the people present at the basho. There are many reasons other than the corona virus for having a fever. In fact, I'm amazed that Chiyomaru was the only person among the many rkshis and other personnel at the basho having a fever for two consecutive days afer eight days of competition. Out of such a large popululation, I would have expected at least several more due to causes such as colds, the flu, etc.

If on the other hand, many more individuals start displaying temperatures over 37.5° C lasting for two days, that could be a cause of concern. 

2 hours ago, sekitori said:

One rikishi having a fever shouldn't be indicative that the virus could now have possibly spread among the people present at the basho. There are many reasons other than the corona virus for having a fever. In fact, I'm amazed that Chiyomaru was the only person among the many rkshis and other personnel at the basho having a fever for two consecutive days afer eight days of competition. Out of such a large popululation, I would have expected at least several more due to causes such as colds, the flu, etc.

If on the other hand, many more individuals start displaying temperatures over 37.5° C lasting for two days, that could be a cause of concern. 

In Chiyomaru's case, there may be an innocent reason like an infection on an open wound.   At least that is what the indication is according to one report (Google translation of a Japanese news article is rather poor.  So, don't take my word for it).

I have been watching Sandanme, Makushita matches.   Ura won again in conventional manner.  We will see him in Makushita in the next basho I hope.   Chiyonokuni won his first match but it was nothing to shout about.  

Yeah, that was a strange decision. He did well to keep his feet in as long as he did, but for nothing.

Posted (edited)

Hmm.   It appears Chiyoshoma won on a slow-mo but the monoii went in favor of the other.

3 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Chiyoshoma was robbed there.

Clearly.   It's good to have a pedigree. (Sigh...)

Edited by robnplunder

Did anyone notice how emotional Kotoeko looked on Day 2 after he got his first win? It was though he realized that he was over his injury and was able to do his own sumo again. Fast forward, and on Day 9 he has a kachikoshi and has a decent shot at returning to makuuchi next basho if he manages a couple more shiroboshi.

They invited Kotonowaka's dad to work the opposite side commentator's booth today. 

28 minutes ago, Otokonoyama said:

Did anyone notice how emotional Kotoeko looked on Day 2 after he got his first win? It was though he realized that he was over his injury and was able to do his own sumo again. Fast forward, and on Day 9 he has a kachikoshi and has a decent shot at returning to makuuchi next basho if he manages a couple more shiroboshi.

I like Kotoeko and was happy to see him beat Terunofuji who all of sudden looks lethargic.   Something is off with him.

Did i just hear Kaisei got japanese citizenship? Is this news? If yes, i demand a new shikona. Samba-Oyakata!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tokushoryu continuing to prove his yusho was no fluke with a decisive win over Onosho. 

Quite a comical bout between Takakeisho and Yutakayama. Taka lashed out with a big slap when things weren't going his way and then Yama got him locked up in a rather unorthodox grip.