robnplunder

Haru 2020 Basho Discussion (SPOILERS)

He hasn't looked good in the last 3 matches.   Perhaps, Terunofuji's knees are acting up.

The thermometer got Chiyomaru.  

Ura's sumo has settled into a conventional one.  Perhaps, it's the opponents.

Does someone feed Shohozan's mouse? It looks like it' growing. If there were medical trivia bits, Shohozan would lead the cut on right eyebrow ranking by a quite wide margin.

11 minutes ago, Kaninoyama said:

Kotonowaka looking very comfortable in Makuuchi. 

He got the pedigree.

• Like 1

Wow @ Tochinoshin. Bout of the day so far. I'm huffing and puffing and thwow you to the floor.

• Like 1

i am praying that Chiyomaru has not caugh the virus, it could be a disaster.

A very nice win by Tochinoshin.   He was on the ropes.  What a nice comeback!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robnplunder said:

He hasn't looked good in the last 3 matches.   Perhaps, Terunofuji's knees are acting up.

His knees seem ok but his arm/elbow has been bothering him for a few days now and today it looked like he couldn't use it at all which is very worrying.

• Confused 1

Great bout between Enho and Onosho! This basho's Onosho has half-decent balance so Enho's hassou-tobi didn't work the way he planned.

Asanoyama drrops his second bout to 'rival' Yutakayama. He didn't seem to have a clear plan. Disappointing.

Good recovery by Takakeisho. Hokutofuji will be miffed with himself for not finishing that one off. 

11 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

Asanoyama drrops his second bout to 'rival' Yutakayama. He didn't seem to have a clear plan. Disappointing.

I thought he lost a bit of balance and Yutakayama took advantage of it.   He can't afford to lose another match until he faces the top 3.   

20 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

A disappointing loss by Mitakeumi.  What was that?  

Typical Mitakeumi-renpai, starting yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hakuho went to the office today, and got the job done despite not getting his regular S&G tachiai.  Abi's matta clearly bothered Hakuho, but the Great One was still able to collect himself.  

Hakuho has not exactly been challenged as yet.  But he is doing what he needs to do (i.e., win consistently), unlike most of the Sanyaku wrestlers.

Edited by Amamaniac
  • Like 2

Two bouts made me applause today (Applauding...); Tochinochin's comeback and Enho's huge leap. Onosho managed to catch that but end of the bout was proper entertainment.

Abi was usual hasty one, I hope he didn't hurt his knee (seeing his facial expression when he hit tha clay)... :-|

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

Typical Mitakeumi-renpai, starting yesterday.

I am wondering if his collapses are a mental thing, or lack of fitness, or both. Mitakeumi doesn´t look exactly like a workout freak.

Who did the most beautiful-ineffective henka of the year! But...What a balance! So nice to see him doing his thing...

5 hours ago, Gospodin said:

I am wondering if his collapses are a mental thing, or lack of fitness, or both. Mitakeumi doesn´t look exactly like a workout freak.

Maybe, both.  It's like my golf game.   :-(

Hak at 80% = yusho 

• Like 1

Day 8 rikishi talk:

Yutakayama, beating his rival Asanoyama: " I knew I couldn't let him use his right hand. It was on my mind all the time. ever since his yusho I've been planning this. I was patient today and he pulled, so all I had to do was run with it. I went at it with a good feeling and self confidence. It felt good since he's the man of the hour.."

Asanoyama on Yutakayama: "I admit I am conscious of our rivalry.. The guy became sekitori before me, so it's become a stimulus for me.."

Aoiyama, one loss only and in the running, beating Daiamami:  "I thought my opponent would be coming in and pulling- I was overthinking it and became stiff. Still, I'm happy i managed to win.. I'm not nervous at all this basho. The feeling that I really need to win at all costs is not there.. A win is a win."

Kotonowaka, beating Chiyotairyuu and with only two losses: "My sumo had a good flow today. I was able to withstand his pressure. I'm not conscious of my win/loss situation. There is really no use thinking about it. It means nothing if I lose all my remaining bouts, My aim is kachikoshi." He has gained 15 kilos (170) since he was in Juryo. "Yes, I know. Everybody keeps reminding me of this. My mawashi has become too small for me.. No fans in the stands? I'm using this as a good experience. OTOH, I'm not thinking too much about it and able to give it my all."

Chiyotairyuu, losing to Kotonowaka: "He's strong. I'm too old to beat him. I went with a kachiage (elblow..) but he was 'soft' and he just absorbed it. It felt like I was facing Hakuhou. It may be rude to Hakuhou-zeki, but Kotonowaka is only second to Hakuhou in his ability to withstand an attack.. I am not getting close to Chiyomaru, for sure, with his fever.."

Shouhouzan, 1000th career appearance: "A thousand appearances is pretty, pretty, good..I can't aim for 10,000.. I'm thankful I am able to continue doing sumo and plan to continue for a while yet.."

Tochiouzan, no wins yet, the only one in Makuuchi: " I feel I am getting better gradually, but.. I will be aiming to win tomorrow."

Takanoshou, beating Myougiryuu and needing one more win for kachikoshi: " It was negative sumo, but I was able to go about it calmly. It's the first time I won 7 of my first 8. I want to keep doing good sumo and piling up those wins!"

Takakeishou, winning an oshi battle : "I was able to be aggressive. My opponent (Hokutofuji) also fights from the heart. It's the little things that bring about the wins.."

Hokutofuji, pushing Takakeishou to the edge but not finishing him off: "I screwed up. I can't win, my fighting spirit is shot - this basho sucks.."

Mitakeumi : Losing to Kakuryuu, second straight loss: "I was thinking of pushing him away but before that, he managed to get inside. I'm still not tired at all so I'm hoping to do well the remaining days."

Hakuhou, beating Abi: "His tachiai was quick, and he stretched his arms well. My movement is good this basho. I'm able to respond. I have decided in my heart to face it day by day. One week to go. A day at a time. "

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Chiyotairyuu, losing to Kotonowaka: "I went with a kachiage (elblow..) but he was 'soft' and he just absorbed it. It felt like I was facing Hakuhou. It may be rude to Hakuhou-zeki, but Kotonowaka is only second to Hakuhou in his ability to withstand an attack.."

Wow. High praise indeed.