Sign in to follow this  
Konosato

Drop Sumo Games Haru 2020

Uncertain basho with many question marks, many things can and will happen, even a cancellation before or during the tournament is not excluded.
Many unforeseen events can occur and falsify a lot in the sumo games and therefore a fair and fair starting position of the games is no longer guaranteed. This means that part of the attractiveness for playing is lost and the attraction for typing is no longer there.

So I suggest something extraordinary to drop all Superbanzuke games for the Haru Basho.

What do you think?

Uncertainity? Unforeseen events? Many question marks? Great! All these reasons should make playing games this basho even more fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest for the games to go ahead as normal with the caveat that the basho lasts the 15 days and no more than X number of rikishi drop because of the virus.

If the agreed pre-conditions are meet, then no one will feel decieved. If they are not meet, then results don't count.

In case of my games - I will run my basho as long as they (NSK) run theirs. If they cancel, so do I.

From what I read today, the rijicho said that if even one rikishi contracts the virus, the basho will be terminated immediately.  In that event, I would guess that all games should become null and void.  Just my thought.

Posted (edited)

Surely this is a case of crossing that bridge if we come to it...

If the basho is cancelled mid-way through, obviously any unfinished games (all of them except GTB) will be null and void. Otherwise, let's all have some fun and stop worrying about things.

Edited by Pandaazuma
  • Like 3

Bench Sumo and Guess Hokutofuji's Aite will go ahead this basho. If anything happens during the basho, I may have to make some rijicho decisions that might be hard and could even be unpopular with some - but I am ready for the task, if need be. 

My understanding of the situation is that:

1. If a rikishi doesn't feel well or has some temperature, they will have to go kyujo

2. If a rikishi is confirmed with COVID-19, the basho will be cancelled 

This means the impact on the games will not be uniform and the key question for me is to have as fair a competition as possible.

1. For "pure" daily games such as Sekitoto or Sumo Game,  it will probably make more sensitive the issue of time where European players will be at a disadvantage if the kyujo are announced at the usual hour.

2. For "pure" pre-basho games like Norizo or UDH, there may be some frustration and the feeling that the game turned into a lottery to some extent, but we all start and play with the same conditions.

3. I would make a special case for the Bench Sumo game as it combines pre-basho and daily dimension.  Anyone playing the game has had to manage a team with one, two or more kyujo rikishi, and we accept it (even with the possible associated "time" frustration the day the kyujo is announced).

For the upcoming Basho, what I would like to see is:

1. That, because of the higher probability of kyujo than usual, the time to change your line-ups be pushed as late as possible before the start of the Makuuchi bouts

2. That especially for Bench Sumo, but also for any pre-basho game, we could use a substitute for any COVID-19 related kyujo. We could, for instance, give a list of 4/5 possible substitutes to be used in order of preference (but I don't suppose it is possible considering the time available)

3 hours ago, Tameiki said:

2. That especially for Bench Sumo, but also for any pre-basho game, we could use a substitute for any COVID-19 related kyujo. We could, for instance, give a list of 4/5 possible substitutes to be used in order of preference (but I don't suppose it is possible considering the time available)

Although I appreciate your idea, this will not be happening for Bench Sumo.  Any rikishi at any time might break an ankle, and so could go kyujo without warning. This is pretty much the same as with any rikishi getting a high temperature.

There have never been substitutes in Bench Sumo (in over 20 years). If a rikishi picks up a serious injury and goes kyujo, it is considered that the Bench Sumo rikishi has also picked up an injury (going down to 9 men). If that player loses 3 or 4 rikishi (this has happened several times in the past), then we consider that the player is 'ganbarising' with a serious injury. 

If a player loses one rikishi due to temp, we can consider that the player is also a bit poorly. Losing 3 or more to the 'temperature', and we can consider the player to be very poorly.

(Besides, I doubt that the automation would even be able to cope with such a suggestion.)

1 minute ago, Jejima said:

Although I appreciate your idea, this will not be happening for Bench Sumo.  Any rikishi at any time might break an ankle, and so could go kyujo without warning. This is pretty much the same as with any rikishi getting a high temperature.

Please don't misread me. I would never suggest such an adjustment in "ordinary times". My suggestion(s) only had to do with the present situation and the potential risk of a higher number of kyujo.

• Like 1

I feel the need to cancel the games is only there if the basho is canceled, rikishi are going kyujo on regular basho so much that i can't remember the last time i played Bench with a full squad. 

Besides, there's never going to be an unpredictable basho like this again, who knows what's going to happen we might even get another Tokushoryu yusho.

In my opinion, the only reason why it would make sense to skip the games this time: If they cancel the basho mid-way I would regret it to have wasted a couple of hours entering all the games. That said I am definitely going to wait until the last moment before entering in case a rikishi will be infected before Sunday...

• Like 1

My take on this matter is:

If the Ozumo Basho is cancelled before Nakabi - the Games should be cancelled, too.

If the Ozumo is cancelled after Nakabi - The last played day would be considered the final day for the Game.

Although TUG is not a SB game yet, I am planning to follow this for my game.

For german tipspiel the rules are 

Basho is cancelled - > Tipspiel is cancelled 

No matter which day 

• Like 3

From my point of view all Games should be cancelled immediately once the basho is cancelled, regardless on which day. Exceptions could be Chain Gang, if already decided and GTB of course.

Ganzohnesushi

new game: Guess the number of days the basho will run.

my bet: 6

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gernobono said:

For german tipspiel the rules are 

Basho is cancelled - > Tipspiel is cancelled 

No matter which day 

1 hour ago, Ganzohnesushi said:

From my point of view all Games should be cancelled immediately once the basho is cancelled, regardless on which day. Exceptions could be Chain Gang, if already decided and GTB of course.

Ganzohnesushi

While I can sympathize with @Konosato point I have to say I agree with @Gernobono and @Ganzohnesushi line of thinking.

I don't expect this basho to be much fun at all but if it's on and the people who are wiling to run these games want to run them then I certainly don't want to dissuade them.

But any cancellation should void everything that isn't already definitively decided at that point. The only games like that are GTB and CG.

Most of the games would probably end up being decided on convoluted tie breaks based on partial results. If it happens on a even day like 10 if would be even worse.How does a game which depends on a lot of late basho results, like Norizo's, get decided fairly? nevermind the havoc of ending on an even day will have for banzuke making.

8 minutes ago, Jakusotsu said:

new game: Guess the number of days the basho will run.

my bet: 6

Put me down for 0. I think they already decided to cancel and all this malarkey is face saving. When they cancel it at the last minute they can say they did all they could to run it to all the people in Osaka who spent a lot of time and money for this and are out of luck.

After a lot of thought and looking at my work schedule, I’m with Konosato and Tamaki. I’m not going to put out  all that effort to enter all the games I play knowing that one sick rikishi closes it all down. Tomorrow I will enter my kyujo in all the games that I play (I think I’m up to 21 of them). 

So far, the Juryo Game is running.

By rule, players are allowed to miss one tournament without loss of rank (kosho) and without notice.

In case the tournament is stopped midway, a decision will be taken so as to award a yusho, tournament kekka records and whether the banzuke must be changed

57 minutes ago, Nantonoyama said:

So far, the Juryo Game is running.

By rule, players are allowed to miss one tournament without loss of rank (kosho) and without notice.

In case the tournament is stopped midway, a decision will be taken so as to award a yusho, tournament kekka records and whether the banzuke must be changed

Thanks for this and I would expect most games, if they award anything, to go with the record as it stands at stoppage.

But it would help a lot in some games to know the rules prior to entering.

In Norizo cup if it ends early does that mean most of the questions will end up a No?

In Oracle if it ends on day 7 will a rikishi at 4-3 be given a 4-11? Would players picking that rikishi as a KK or higher be given a KK for tie break purposes?

Will players who haven't bet the minimum in Odd be out?

Etc.

• Like 1

As I have already written, my games will be definitely canceled when the ozumo basho is canceled.

• Like 1

Seems like some are panicking too much here like they are about the virus. How about just going with the flow and seeing what happens? If it's cancelled, it's cancelled. Seriously, what's the big deal?? Relax!!

• Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Golynohana said:

As I have already written, my games will be definitely canceled when the ozumo basho is canceled.

Thanks, I saw that. But what if it isn't cancelled? What if it goes 9 days, they stop, and the award yusho, sansho, etc based on the 9 days?

7 minutes ago, Pandaazuma said:

Seems like some are panicking too much here like they are about the virus. How about just going with the flow and seeing what happens? If it's cancelled, it's cancelled. Seriously, what's the big deal?? Relax!!

I'm not concerned if it's cancelled. I concerned if it's truncated and still official. If that's true and the games follow that then it will effect my strategy in certain games significantly.