Asashosakari

Banzuke for Haru 2020

9 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

Who cares if the kanji is different if the pronunciation is the same.

The pronunciation is not the same, just very similar.

• Like 1

It hasn't happened a lot in the Post WW II era that there were only seven sanyaku ranked Rikishi, has it? 

1 hour ago, Thorbjarn said:

It hasn't happened a lot in the Post WW II era that there were only seven sanyaku ranked Rikishi, has it? 

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&amp;group_by=basho&amp;g_op=<=&amp;having=7&amp;form1_rank=Y-K

Database says last time was January 1934 banzuke, some 86 years ago

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Naganoyama said:

That's all very well right up until the point where the yobidashi steps up onto dohyo to call one or the other up to fight when they are quite close in rank and both waiting ringside.

I would hope both guys know who their opponents are before they make it to ringside...

12 hours ago, RPedro44 said:

And monoii too.

Gyoji pointed to Oshoryu, but Hoshoryu won... Unless they start saying "the Oshoryu on the right" and the "Hoshoryu on the left".

Who cares if the kanji is different if the pronunciation is the same.

Yes, I'm sure this is an insurmountable problem in a language that is both notoriously rich in homophones and heavily reliant on context for understanding it at any time. :-S Won't somebody think of the children foreign fans?

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Asashosakari said:

I would hope both guys know who their opponents are before they make it to ringside...

Depends how much shochu is left over from the banzuke committee

On the Hoshoryu/Oshoryu confusion potential, I don't think it will be a problem. I mean, have you seen them? I don't see any problems distinguishing a Mongolian whippet from a "traditionally-built" Japanese gentleman.

17 hours ago, Nantonoyama said:

Thanks. The amount of unusual banzuke configurations over the last years is very interesting... Yokozuna-Ozeki after 38 years, seven sanyaku after 86 years, four Komusubi for the first time ever... 

24 minutes ago, Thorbjarn said:

Thanks. The amount of unusual banzuke configurations over the last years is very interesting... Yokozuna-Ozeki after 38 years, seven sanyaku after 86 years, four Komusubi for the first time ever... 

There were 4 komusubi back in 2006...

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

You're right and I don't feel particularly strongly about it but I think that, with the world of possibilities for shikona, they wouldn't need to choose such similar sounding names...

14 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

There were 4 komusubi back in 2006...

Oh, I totally missed that. Thanks. It seemed so very special when it occured. 

• Sad 1

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 22:25, Yubinhaad said:

Naruto heyagashira Motobayashi is now Oshoryu, the first kanji there of course comes from his shisho (former Ozeki Kotooshu).

Ms10w Motobayashi Kenji > Oshoryu Kenta (欧勝竜 健汰)

The second kanji in Oshoryu's new shikona is taken from the given name of Katsuhito Ito, the late Kindai head coach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 24/02/2020 at 02:24, John Gunning said:

Assuming he loses his new found super powers and newer progresses beyond that rank (highly likely) he'll retire as the yusho winner with the lowest career high and only the second ever not to make sanyaku at least once.

That inspires me to ask a typical Gai-Jin question: 

Who is the best rikishi (say, 20+ basho in Makuuchi) to never win a yusho ?

2 hours ago, Gospodin said:

Is "Futahaguro" allowed as an answer? (Laughing...)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gospodin said:

In recent times Takayasu is probably the prime candidate. Overall I suppose you'd have to search the database for the highest win ratio among those who never won the makuuchi yusho. CBA myself...

On 23/02/2020 at 22:27, Asashosakari said:

But in a serious WTF decision:

Yago (J7w 4-11)           J10  Takagenji (J10w 7-8)
Wakamotoharu (Ms1w 6-1)   J11  Midorifuji (Ms2e 5-2)
Hakuyozan (Ms4w 6-1)      J12  Asagyokusei (J12e 7-8)

Sure, somebody had to fill the J10e spot, but Yago?!? Flabbergasting.

It's amazing how reluctant they are, currently, to put Makushita promotees high up the Banzuke. 5 years ago, Asabenkei did Ms1 > J9 with 6 wins. Between 2000 and 2005, 6 consecutive Ms1 with 6 wins went between J9/J10.

And now, J14 8-7, J7 4-11 and J10 7-8 is better than Ms1 6-1?! How can that be explained?

Edited by serge_gva
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Asashosakari said:
3 hours ago, Gospodin said:

My votes go to Wakanosato or Aminishiki. They both had very long, disinguished careers. It's surprising that neither of them ever won a yusho. The closest they ever came to winning were two jun-yushos each. I would also add Terao to that list. No jun-yushos but still an amazing rikishi with a very successful career lasting many years. 

Edited by sekitori
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Gospodin said:

OK, this here Gai-Jin will take a crack at it:

1) the best rikishi to never win a yusho would be an Ozeki: they're the highest ranked (and therefore best) rikishi who might never win a yusho.

2) There are 55 Ozeki with h.d. 1901 or after.  Of those, 32 won a yusho; also, 5 had fewer than 20 basho in Makuuchi (all before the 6-basho-per-year era, but hey tough luck).  That leaves 18 candidates.

3)  15 of those had at least 1 Jun-Yusho.  Following the recommendation to look at winning %, I calculated the ratio wins/total bouts (if you spent a long time slogging around in Sandanme before making it, you weren't that awesome, were you?)  This gives an advantage to rikishi who started at Sd or Ms, but they still have to get to Ozeki!

If I sort by Jun-Yusho, and if I sort by win %, the same name comes out a clear first: Yutakayama Katsuo (aka Tokitsukaze).

If you make other assumptions (I'm sure you will!) you'll come up with another choice.

47 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

1) the best rikishi to never win a yusho would be an Ozeki: they're the highest ranked (and therefore best) rikishi who might never win a yusho.

Kitao disagrees

15 minutes ago, Nantonoyama said:

Kitao disagrees

I knew  someone would cite him.  So, he's your candidate then?

3 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

I knew  someone would cite him.  So, he's your candidate then?

He's not, because I do not have enough knowledge about rikishi of the past to make a choice. I was just pointing out that your 1) has historically been proven wrong

6 hours ago, Yamanashi said:

OK, this here Gai-Jin will take a crack at it:

As Asashosakari intimated above, this is (surprisingly) not correct.....

Yokozuna Futahaguro

There's also rikishi that had a career-ending injuries before they could win a yusho, but I don't really know any candidates.