Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Nishonoseki Ichimon has canceled its rengo-keiko in Osaka which was slated to be open to the public due to the Corona outbreak.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

About Haru ... is there any chance they’d favour a closed-door basho to no basho at all? My feeling is not since it costs money to run a tournament that they wouldn’t recoup from ticket costs or bout sponsorships, but then maybe they’d also like to avoid cancelling it altogether. I doubt the rikishi would mind the rest though.

I think Haru is too soon given the ROI we see now, but it could be that Nagoya and Aki will be the real hard decision time.

3 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

About Haru ... is there any chance they’d favour a closed-door basho to no basho at all? My feeling is not since it costs money to run a tournament that they wouldn’t recoup from ticket costs or bout sponsorships, but then maybe they’d also like to avoid cancelling it altogether. I doubt the rikishi would mind the rest though.

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing while taking my morning walk...

6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

They could hold it in another venue? like kyoto or maybe tokyo again?

1 hour ago, sahaven111 said:

They could hold it in another venue? like kyoto or maybe tokyo again?

I don’t see how that resolves the central problem of crowds gathering in one place.

17 minutes ago, Eikokurai said:

I don’t see how that resolves the central problem of crowds gathering in one place.

Who needs a crowd for a sumo basho?

4 hours ago, Benihana said:

Who needs a crowd for a sumo basho?

The crowds are what pays for it.

18 minutes ago, Gurowake said:

The crowds are what pays for it.

They could give decent online coverage and let the would be "crowd" pay for it like they would tickets.

6 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

It wouldn't. But they could hold a perfunctory basho at the Kokugikan with no audience and without the extra expense of an out-of-town venue, travel, and lodging.

Edited by Kuroyama

I am thinking sumo is not going to be a priority for Japanese in the coming weeks.   I have been following COVID 19 closely.   This cannot be stopped unless extraordinary measures are put in place.    If the Japanese government does not act much beyond what it has been doing, we won't see sumo on TV for a long time.   I don't think the next basho will happen.  There may be no basho for the next six months.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kuroyama said:

It wouldn't. But they could hold a perfunctory basho at the Kokugikan with no audience and without the extra expense of an out-of-town venue, travel, and lodging.

Too late for that. Most stables are already in Kansai and setting up.

3 hours ago, robnplunder said:

I am thinking sumo is not going to be a priority for Japanese in the coming weeks.   I have been following COVID 19 closely.   This cannot be stopped unless extraordinary measures are put in place.    If the Japanese government does not act much beyond what it has been doing, we won't see sumo on TV for a long time.   I don't think the next basho will happen.  There may be no basho for the next six months.  

This is somewhat overstated in my opinion. Japanese are concerned about transmission of the virus but probably more concerned at this point on its effect on the travel industry and global supply chains, much like the rest of the world. The Japanese government's response with the cruise ship Diamond Princess was mishandled by leaving quarantined passengers without adequate infection protection while on board however, all other cases have been handled and so far contained using standard infection protocols as those used in the US or Europe. I don't know what is meant by "extraordinary measures" but I would find it highly unlikely that severe travel bans or large scale quarantines of cities as those seen in China would ever be employed.

It is still relatively early in the outbreak as China restricted information about the outbreak to international experts until recently. As more is understood about the virus such as mode of transmission, can non-symptomatic patients transmit the virus, and most effective anti-viral treatments, the rate of infection should decrease. Of course since these are unknown at the moment anything is possible however the world's response to other outbreaks such as SARS and MERS suggest a more rapid control over transmission rates.

I spoke to an ex-coworker from my time being in the Kansai area today. He works for a company that imports food and their main source of work is containers that come from Southeastern Asia and China. Corona has completely wiped out that load so he says they are "hima" a lot now.

46 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Corona has completely wiped out that load so he says they are "hima" a lot now.

Sorry for the stupid question but what is "HIMA"? Tried google but i find nothing. 

The basho will happen. This corona thing  has been blown out of proportion. It's  fueled by media hysteria, as is happening a lot of late on various issues  Yes, there's a new virus, and it's killing people, like the regular flu does yearly in China (250,000-600,000.YEARLY..) and around the world. The fact that there is no instant cure for it is scaring people. The deaths are overwhelmingly among the elderly. The two passengers on the virusboat that died were 87 and 84 respectively. No children have been affected so far, as far as we know. Yes, it's China and we will never know the real extent of the damage, but in other countries, the numbers are probably real. An overwhelming percent of stricken get well, without an antidote. You can never be careful enough, that's true, but I don't think the basho will be affected. There may be some temperature taking at the entrance, but other than that, I don't see it canceled. And July and September as well? It'll be forgotten by then. Olympics in July. Does anyone see them canceled?

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

42 minutes ago, Ginkitsune said:

This is somewhat overstated in my opinion. Japanese are concerned about transmission of the virus but probably more concerned at this point on its effect on the travel industry and global supply chains, much like the rest of the world. The Japanese government's response with the cruise ship Diamond Princess was mishandled by leaving quarantined passengers without adequate infection protection while on board however, all other cases have been handled and so far contained using standard infection protocols as those used in the US or Europe. I don't know what is meant by "extraordinary measures" but I would find it highly unlikely that severe travel bans or large scale quarantines of cities as those seen in China would ever be employed.

It is still relatively early in the outbreak as China restricted information about the outbreak to international experts until recently. As more is understood about the virus such as mode of transmission, can non-symptomatic patients transmit the virus, and most effective anti-viral treatments, the rate of infection should decrease. Of course since these are unknown at the moment anything is possible however the world's response to other outbreaks such as SARS and MERS suggest a more rapid control over transmission rates.

I think you may not have the latest of what has been going on.    This has been going on for over two months now.   China has shared a lot of info on the virus.  Today, it confirmed that COVID 19 is an aerosol transmittable virus.  Other countries also have shared their info.   Things are not looking good for neighboring countries to China.   

3 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

The basho will happen. This corona thing  has been blown out of proportion. It's  fueled by media hysteria, as is happening a lot of late on various issues  Yes, there's a new virus, and it's killing people, like the regular flu does yearly in China (250,000-600,000.YEARLY..) and around the world. The deaths are overwhelmingly among the elderly. The two passengers on the virusboat that died were 87 and 84 respectively. No children have been affected so far, as far as we know. Yes, it's China and we will never know the real extent of the damage, but in other countries, the numbers are probably real. An overwhelming percent of stricken get well, without an antidote. You can never be careful enough, that's true, but I don't think the basho will be affected. There may be some temperature taking at the entrance, but other than that, I don't see it canceled. And July and September as well? It'll be forgotten by then. Olympics in July. Does anyone see them canceled?

I sure hope you are right.   

Just now, robnplunder said:

I sure hope you are right.   

I am always right, although some say I'm left.

• Haha 2

The professional media loves a good scare story, because it sells. This one comes around every couple of years (SARS, etc), but most people haven't been told or don't remember the fable of the boy who cried wolf.

The problem is exacerbated these days by the woefully ignorant and easily malleable masses of the social media, leading to a kind of hysterical mob rule. I have no idea how resilient the Japanese government is to that kind of pressure (the UK powers-that-be regularly cave in to it). The Japanese have already received international criticism for their response to this 'crisis', so cancelling forthcoming public events might, unfortunately, be a way of being seen to do something.

The thing I like to keep in mind is the fact that we humans and the long line of ancestral species we evolved from have been winning the battle against constantly mutating viruses and bacteria for hundreds of millions of years without the benefit of either medical science or mass media.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

The basho will happen. This corona thing  has been blown out of proportion. It's  fueled by media hysteria, as is happening a lot of late on various issues  Yes, there's a new virus, and it's killing people, like the regular flu does yearly in China (250,000-600,000.YEARLY..) and around the world. The fact that there is no instant cure for it is scaring people. The deaths are overwhelmingly among the elderly. The two passengers on the virusboat that died were 87 and 84 respectively. No children have been affected so far, as far as we know. Yes, it's China and we will never know the real extent of the damage, but in other countries, the numbers are probably real. An overwhelming percent of stricken get well, without an antidote. You can never be careful enough, that's true, but I don't think the basho will be affected. There may be some temperature taking at the entrance, but other than that, I don't see it canceled. And July and September as well? It'll be forgotten by then. Olympics in July. Does anyone see them canceled?

exaxtly. remember swine flu? this is the exact same thing that happened then, and i predict this will similarly blow over.

10 hours ago, sahaven111 said:

They could give decent online coverage and let the would be "crowd" pay for it like they would tickets.

Hahahahahahahabaha....the NSK doing anything that could make sumo accessible to fans outside Japan without VPN trickery or valiant efforts of people reposting NHK content....that’s a good one. They did have that rather pricey feed they cut off a few years ago, crickets since. The best we get are NHK World highlights or home movies from the Kokugikan. Better than nothing but the Kyokai doesn’t make it easy to be a foreign fan. I don’t see coronavirus forcing their hand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Churaumi said:

Hahahahahahahabaha....the NSK doing anything that could make sumo accessible to fans outside Japan without VPN trickery or valiant efforts of people reposting NHK content....that’s a good one. They did have that rather pricey feed they cut off a few years ago, crickets since. The best we get are NHK World highlights or home movies from the Kokugikan. Better than nothing but the Kyokai doesn’t make it easy to be a foreign fan. I don’t see coronavirus forcing their hand.

The post you responded to said nothing about foreign fans... Quite the opposite in fact since it was talking about making the domestic ticket buyers shell out for ersatz online coverage. (Although I'm not sure how sahaven111 expects that to work when those same people can already watch it for free on TV under normal circumstances.)

Edited by Asashosakari