Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, sumojoann said:

That's correct that the revenue from the TV broadcast rights is not insignificant.  However, how much are they losing from the loss of ticket sales?  11,000 seats X 15 days = ??

18 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Even if the option is there, I still wonder if the NSK would want to go forward with it.  They would be losing the revenue from 11,000 tickets X 15 days. 

Not sure if I see your point. They will be losing the money from ticket sales anyway, regardless if the basho is cancelled completely or held without spectators. Surely it would be better to get the TV and kensho money (assuming it is higher than the yusho bonuses) than nothing at all. After all they need to pay the rikishi - unless they are willing to accept a pay cut which has become the rule in other sports - and maintain the heya infrastructure.

Edited by Flohru
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Flohru said:

Not sure if I see your point. They will be losing the money from ticket sales anyway, regardless if the basho is cancelled completely or held without spectators. Surely it would be better to get the TV and kensho money (assuming it is higher than the yusho bonuses) than nothing at all. After all they need to pay the rikishi - unless they are willing to accept a pay cut which has become the rule in other sports - and maintain the heya infrastructure.

I see your point.  I hope it's not cancelled but I would be very surprised if it takes place.

28 minutes ago, sumojoann said:

I see your point.  I hope it's not cancelled but I would be very surprised if it takes place.

JSK isn't that stupid to hold the next basho.  I think. (Praying...)

6 hours ago, robnplunder said:

JSK isn't that stupid to hold the next basho.  I think. (Praying...)

Does anyone know, was the Haru basho profitable? At least they have a new ozeki to drive some merchandising and interest for tv. If they turned a profit on tv rights and merch, or at least pulled close, I could see them trying again.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Churaumi said:

Does anyone know, was the Haru basho profitable? At least they have a new ozeki to drive some merchandising and interest for tv. If they turned a profit on tv rights and merch, or at least pulled close, I could see them trying again.

That much less profitable that it will cause an overall loss

On 24/03/2020 at 09:53, Akinomaki said:

For the 5th (and last) year a profit for the NSK, due to pay rise for the rikishi, 189 million less than last year, 317 million yen.

This Haru basho will earn the NSK about 1 billion yen less than last year's.

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20200323/sum20032321250012-n1.html 

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Would there be a temporary pay cut if the loss continues?

18 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

Would there be a temporary pay cut if the loss continues?

That's an interesting question.  The oyakata's might be taking a financial bath if this goes on much longer, since they still have to support the rikishi and pay mortgage/taxes, etc.  The fact is that only the sekitori make any money.  Those here that remember the numbers could probably calculate the savings from, say, a 50% salary cut and a freeze on kinboshi and other automatic payments.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

That's an interesting question.  The oyakata's might be taking a financial bath if this goes on much longer, since they still have to support the rikishi and pay mortgage/taxes, etc.  The fact is that only the sekitori make any money.  Those here that remember the numbers could probably calculate the savings from, say, a 50% salary cut and a freeze on kinboshi and other automatic payments.

Maybe the government can step in to shore up the industry?   Desperate times calls for desperate measures so to speak. 

If the basho is cancelled, NHK should broadcast classic basho of old in digest form. Say, 15-20m x 15 honbasho days = approx. 5 hours per basho. They could get through about two basho in a week during their normal allotted basho broadcast a lot.

Actually, they should just have a YouTube channel that does this all the time.

Posted (edited)

I find it interesting that before and during the Haru basho there was only one instance of someone  related to sumo who ran a fairly high fever for two consecutive days. It's  amazing that no one had any symptoms of corona virus. Considering the widespread prevalence of the virus and the large number of people involved in professional sumo, it looks as if the sumo community dodged a bullet.  I have doubts that they will want to try doing it again in May. 

Edited by sekitori

Posted (edited)

NHK breaking news - May basho is postponed by two weeks to be held in May - June if all things go well.

Edited by robnplunder
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, robnplunder said:

NHK breaking news - May basho is postponed by two weeks to be held in May - June if all things go well.

What changes over those two weeks?

May basho starts on 5/24.   The next basho is to be postponed for two weeks as well.    I assume it really depends on how well Japan does with COVID 19.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

And Nagoya back 2 weeks as well. Obviously hit send key at same time.

Edited by specialweek 2

Sounds like buying themselves time, I doubt they want to sell a load of tickets only to have to refund them again

Posted (edited)

Ticket ozumo sent the message that Natsu  basho general sales will be stopped till  an undetermined date - so not canceled altogether, sales unlikely to happen, but possible

Spoiler

大相撲五月場所の入場券のご購入を検討なさっていたお客様へ、一般発売日についてお知らせ致します。

新型コロナウィルス感染拡大防止並びに昨今の政府見解や状況を受け、令和2年大相撲五月場所入場券の一般発売日を現状未定とさせていただきます。

観戦を楽しみにお待ちいただいておりましたお客様には、ご迷惑をお掛けすることとなり大変申し訳ございません。
ご来場の皆様、地域の皆様の健康面を第一に考慮し、判断させていただきますので、何卒、ご理解賜りますようお願い申し上げます。

また今後の詳細につきましては決まり次第、日本相撲協会公式HPならびにチケット大相撲にて発表させていただきます。
Edited by Akinomaki
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robnplunder said:

At least a couple of extra weeks rest and recuperation then even if it does go ahead. That’s good. I wonder if it will have an impact further down the line though if they attempt to get it back on the normal schedule. Might we see a shorter turn around between two basho in the future?

Posted (edited)

Hakkaku and Shibatayama made the announcement to the media

EUrHgA9U0AEXcdy.jpg:thumbo b_13244960.jpgosum20040405030001-m2.jpgo b_13246160.jpgo b_13244961.jpgo20200403at37S_t.jpgo4.jpgo EUrHh86UcAA7gcg.jpg:thumbo 20200403-OHT1I50177-N.jpgo4.jpgo spo2004030023-n1.jpgo

Edited by Akinomaki

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

At least a couple of extra weeks rest and recuperation then even if it does go ahead. That’s good. I wonder if it will have an impact further down the line though if they attempt to get it back on the normal schedule. Might we see a shorter turn around between two basho in the future?

It's effectively +2 weeks for Natsu and +1 week for Nagoya, since the latter was previously one week early to accommodate the Olympics. With Aki basho having a relatively late opening date this year anyway (September 13th), they'd be back on track without further adjustments, I'd imagine.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

If the Natsu basho takes place, it would be the first honbasho to occur across two calendar months since Nagoya 1965.

Day 9 would then end a 4924 streak of hon-basho days taking place on odd-numbered months (day 5 Nagoya 1965 - day 8 Natsu 2020) (4909 if you remove Natsu 2011 as not technically a hon-basho)

• Thanks 1

Giving the reasons for delaying the start of the basho for two weeks, Hakkaku Rijicho said:

"We cannot say the situation is improving day by day. While we are aiming to hold a normal basho, we will consider flexibly from all angles, including holding it but at a reduced scale, holding it without spectators, or canceling it."

Source

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Kaninoyama said:

holding it but at a reduced scale

Any guesses as to what this might mean?

Just now, Tigerboy1966 said:

Any guesses as to what this might mean?

Perhaps having only Makuuchi and Juryo bouts?