Kintamayama

Corona and sumo

Haru sumo completed successfully.  (Applauding...)

Let's hope the next one happens, with or without the audience.

• Like 1

I hear they're cancelling the basho now. :-(

8 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

No way!   Why decide now?  (Thinkingindepth...)

17 hours ago, Eikokurai said:

Source?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, WAKATAKE said:

Source?

They handed the Emperor’s Cup to Hakuho and said “tournament over!”

• Haha 1

On 27/02/2020 at 15:29, Hokkaiko said:

As I understood Takayasu's mother, the Harubasho in Osaka takes place without spectators, only the wrestlers are there.

I just wanted to thank you for sharing the information you received privately from Takayasu's mother (3 days!) prior to the NSK's official statement to the press.  That is the great thing about forums like this.  Information from different sources gets shared with members hungry for it.

Please let us know any details regarding the next tournament (and Takayasu's condition) if/when you get them. (Bow...)

• Like 2

Fail

Tokyo governor urges people to stay indoors this weekend as capital becomes new focus of outbreak

Tokyo Gov. Yuriko Koike on Wednesday requested that people refrain from going outside this weekend for nonessential reasons, due to concerns over a sharp rise in the number of coronavirus infections in the Japanese capital.

The metropolitan government confirmed 41 cases the same day, more than double its previous daily record of 17 the day before.

Among Japan’s 47 prefectures, it is the first time that more than 40 cases have been reported, according to a Kyodo News tally...

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/03/25/national/science-health/tokyo-logs-40-coronavirus-cases/

Tokyo? Oh dear. Better keep the rikishi indoors and strangers outside. Nobody who doesn’t live in heya should be attending keiko, fan clubs and journalists included. Take every measure possible to limit contact with the outside and it may just be possible to put on the May basho. Most heya are near the venue and those further away can be driven so that reduces risk and sumo is quite a closed world in many ways already so it’s fortunate in that sense. Rikishi don’t go out and about over town mixing with the general public on a daily basis. They only need a few extra precautions to effectively isolate the entire Kyokai without actually having to change their lifestyles drastically.

If the Olympics are gone, surely that means no sumo until at least September? No sumo with fans at least - maybe two more closed door basho   ? Though IDK if it's not best just to cancel everything until September.

Sadness, just deep, deep, profound sadness abounds. 

"May will be very difficult," said Hakkaku today.

• Sad 1

On 25/03/2020 at 18:27, Kintamayama said:

Sounds to me like the polite / reserved japanese way of saying: "There will be no basho in may."....(Idunno...)

• Like 1

On 25/03/2020 at 12:27, Kintamayama said:

On 26/03/2020 at 15:10, Christopher said:

Sounds to me like the polite / reserved japanese way of saying: "There will be no basho in may."....(Idunno...)

On 27/03/2020 at 11:55, robnplunder said:

Tsk, tsk.   No next basho for sure, televised or not.   Last night, there were over 120+ new cases reported.   I am concerned about Japan and its people.  They held the virus off so far but may be entering the exponential growth phase.  Or, with the Olympics officially delayed, more tests are being approved?   If that's the case (I hope), maybe 100+ new infections per day is the new norm that can be managed.  We shall see.   But the next basho cancellation seems to be a sure thing although there is no need to announce it any time soon.   

Three days ago, Hakkaku said, "May will be very difficult".  I agree with Christopher that that phrase is a polite Japanese way of saying that there will be no Basho in May.  Robnplunder's conclusion is, I believe, spot on.  "No Basho for sure, televised or not."  However, I disagree with the last sentence where he says there is no need to announce it any time soon.  Hakkaku's statement from three days ago pretty much says it all.

2 hours ago, sumojoann said:

Three days ago, Hakkaku said, "May will be very difficult".  I agree with Christopher that that phrase is a polite Japanese way of saying that there will be no Basho in May.  Robnplunder's conclusion is, I believe, spot on.  "No Basho for sure, televised or not."  However, I disagree with the last sentence where he says there is no need to announce it any time soon.  Hakkaku's statement from three days ago pretty much says it all.

Very true.  I am now thinking at least two basho cancellations.  

I suppose whether the basho happens may be out of the Kyokai’s hands anyway, even if it’s feasible to hold it. If there are laws in place against any sort of gathering that could be enough to make it impossible, given the numbers of people needed to put on even a stripped-down basho.

I don't think they'll cancel Natsu - they even thought about having a few spectators - Hakkaku maybe meant that this is not possible, and the basho will be empty again

On 27/03/2020 at 19:59, Akinomaki said:

They still thought (3 days ago) about how to have Natsu not just another empty basho - no schedule for advance ticket sales yet, but the much bigger kokugikan will have a much bigger loss than  Haru and the rikishi will have even less motivation. The NSK has experts check the possible measures. http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGKKZO57192680U0A320C2UU8000/

so they only thing that will cancel the basho is a declaration of emergency or lockdown by the Tokyo Governor or PM Abe?

Posted (edited)

While it is not directly related to oozumo, this week-old NHK World documentary may be of interest:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/5001289/

A Japanese friend of mine suggested that the Osaka Tournament was able to be held because at the time sports organisers were under no obligation to heed the Feb 26 government "request" to avoid holding big events.  Furthermore, there were no legal sanctions nor any compensation.  However, if the Japanese government declares a state of emergency, then restrictions will get a whole lot stricter!  (i.e., no basho)

Edited by Amamaniac

18 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

I don't think they'll cancel Natsu 

I do.

I wouldn't be surprised if Natsu Basho will be held in exactly the same manner as Haru. Ozumo is very different beast than the Olympics. It shouldn't be too hard to lock away the rikishi from the rest of the world since they're kinda used to that quarantinesque lifestyle. And if they're strict enough so that nobody will catch the virus, the situation would be quite the same as in March. They will keep on training and living together in the heya anyway.

It'll come down to money or an explicit government directive. If the government doesn't order the JSA to cease tournaments then the JSA will want to try and find a way to continue based on TV revenue alone. Yes sport and cultural considerations will be floated about but money talks and they have already set a precedent. Personally I hope John and the others are right and that it is cancelled, too many deaths already.

I suspect by May there will be a government directive in effect that will prevent the Basho from taking place.  Even if the option is there, I still wonder if the NSK would want to go forward with it.  They would be losing the revenue from 11,000 tickets X 15 days.  I got the impression that the Haru Basho only went forward because  --- 1) there was no government edict forbidding it --- and 2) everyone was already in Osaka, had already paid for their accommodations in Osaka and transportation costs from Tokyo as well as the rent for the venue.   Had they known prior to leaving Tokyo that there would be a decision to omit spectators due to the increased numbers of coronavirus cases, I suspect the whole basho would have been cancelled.  The only money coming in was from the TV broadcast plus some kensho. 

2 hours ago, sumojoann said:

The only money coming in was from the TV broadcast plus some kensho. 

Back in 2010/11 when other basho were staged in non-standard manners, 500 million yen was cited as the per-basho rights fee that NHK is paying to broadcast sumo. At 3 billion yen total for a year that was about 30% of the Kyokai's annual revenues at the time, and would still be around 25% today. (I don't know if the broadcast fees have changed much, but I'm assuming they're not lower now.) That's less than they're taking in from ticket sales, but it's not exactly chump change.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Back in 2010/11 when other basho were staged in non-standard manners, 500 million yen was cited as the per-basho rights fee that NHK is paying to broadcast sumo. At 3 billion yen total for a year that was about 30% of the Kyokai's annual revenues at the time, and would still be around 25% today. (I don't know if the broadcast fees have changed much, but I'm assuming they're not lower now.) That's less than they're taking in from ticket sales, but it's not exactly chump change.

That's correct that the revenue from the TV broadcast rights is not insignificant.  However, how much are they losing from the loss of ticket sales?  11,000 seats X 15 days = ??

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Jakusotsu said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Natsu Basho will be held in exactly the same manner as Haru. 

The problem is not handling the Natsu basho in the same manner as the Haru basho. The NSK showed that it can be done quite well. What made the Osaka basho easier to manage was that everyone connnected to sumo (rikishis, referees, officials, etc.) was congregated in one area. Checking the condition of people's health, including taking daily temperatures and possibly testing for the coronavirus could be done without too much difficulty.

But these people are now scattered all over Japan, Mongolia, and other countries. It will be extremely difficult to monitor their health on a regular basis. Since the health of everyone involved in sumo is of paramount importance, thc concept of monitoring their  health almost daily would be virtually impossible. Unless this pandemic quickly abates in the next couple of months (highly, highly unlikely), the wisest and safest thing to do is cancel the Natsu basho and hope that the situation will be better in Nagoya. And if it isn't, the Nagoya basho should be canceled as well. Life without sumo will be difficult for everyone, but the idea that holding a basho witout the proper precautions could lead to people's illness and even death is intolerable.

Edited by sekitori
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, sekitori said:

But these people are now scattered all over Japan, Mongolia, and other countries.

Are they? Didn’t they all just go back Tokyo?

• Like 1